Cramps

Tom Blum

Guest
On sundays ride, I decided to go 40 miles instead of my usual 20. The weather was great, if a little
warm. Started out in low 80's and ended up at 85 or so (It got to near 90 in the afternoon)

I was tweaking with my tailbox fairing before leaving and never ate anything.

I had a good ride. As usual, the treacherous wind sped me along the first half of my out and back
(rails to trails) route. I could hold 20 to 21 for long stretches.

Of course, I turned around and then found the wind was blowing pretty good. Now, speeds were around
17. down to 15 or so and up to 19 depending on slope.

The last 5 miles, my hamstrings started to want to cramp. I babied them in as well as I could, but,
with the end in site, one side locked up pretty good. I tried to peddle one legged, but that's not
very efficient (is it??) sheesh!! I had to sit until the cramps abated, wiggle out of the seat and
walk the last 50 yards. What a wimp!!!

These cramps are just like the cramps I get sometimes hours after a real hard work out day .

I thought of Cletus at the Mountain of Misery. There really was no choice, was there, Cletus?? When
cramps set in, the show is over.

I had been drinking water quite a bit, so I don't think I was dehydrated. A friend mentioned
Potassium being low. I have purchased some and it seems to help.

I can only say "Very interesting!!!"

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

Tom; my sympathy. I've been plagued with cramps for many years. A hydration system helped alot. I
also carry a roll of calcium Tums and chew a couple when I feel cramps setting in, and very often
they will never materialize. Recently I started taking Coral calcium every day, and have been
relativly cramp free. I have also found that a minor change in seat posistion will bring them on
too. Sometimes as little as a quarter inch difference will make a 20 mile ride painful. Denny in
Sayre, PA "Bent but not Broken" www.recumbentstuff.com

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On sundays ride, I decided to go 40 miles instead of my usual 20. The weather was great, if a
> little warm. Started out in low 80's and ended up
at
> 85 or so (It got to near 90 in the afternoon)

Hi Tom, The experts I've talked to have insisted it's a lack of salt, so I really started using the
salt shaker at the table, and drinking Gatorade on the longer rides. That advise came from "very
impressive" long distance riders. It seems to be working for now, but at some point this summer, I'm
sure I'll be sidelined with'em again.....Mark C.

Shwack~, What you said. A guy I met on a Louisiana ride named Salty, because he had some genetic
sodium problem and had to use salt tablets, bailed me out with a few when I was becoming a pretzel
on a hot sweaty ride. Similar to what I do when playing tennis. Drink a cup of salt water. bill g

Shwackman wrote:

> Hi Tom, The experts I've talked to have insisted it's a lack of salt, so I really started using
> the salt shaker at the table, and drinking Gatorade on the longer rides. That advise came from
> "very impressive" long distance riders. It seems to be working for now, but at some point this
> summer, I'm sure I'll be sidelined with'em again.....Mark C.

Tom, Do yourself a favor and get some endurolyte capsules from Hammer Nutrition.
http://www.hammergel.com/ I don`t even have the slightest hint of a cramp when I use the endurolyte
caps. On the other hand, if I don`t use them I always cramp. Along with the endurolyte caps, I`ve
also started mixing endurolyte powder in my hydration bag with my Gatorade. Another great Hammer
product I use is Hammer Gel. At the recent Calvin`s Challenge 12 Hour Race, I noticed a lot of
riders using Hammer products. You might want to search some of the bike forums and see what others
have to say about endurolyte caps/cramps....

Don

Tom Blum wrote:

> The last 5 miles, my hamstrings started to want to cramp. I babied them in as well as I could,
> but, with the end in site, one side locked up pretty good. I tried to peddle one legged, but
> that's not very efficient (is it??) sheesh!! I had to sit until the cramps abated, wiggle out of
> the seat and walk the last 50 yards. What a wimp!!!
>
> These cramps are just like the cramps I get sometimes hours after a real hard work out day .
>
> I thought of Cletus at the Mountain of Misery. There really was no choice, was there, Cletus??
> When cramps set in, the show is over.
>
> I had been drinking water quite a bit, so I don't think I was dehydrated. A friend mentioned
> Potassium being low. I have purchased some and it seems to help.
>
> I can only say "Very interesting!!!"

I can sympathize with the leg cramps. I used to have a tendency to get them on longer rides, > 50
miles. I do a couple of things now that seem to greatly reduce the tendency of my legs and feet to
cramp on longer rides.

First, I mix a little Morton Lite salt in with my water before I set out for rides. Morton Lite is a
low sodium salt. It's a mixture of regular salt and potassium chloride. I use about 1/4 teaspoon per
quart of water. I arrived at that amount by finding an amount of salt I could barely detect by
taste, and then cutting back somewhat from there.

Additionally, I now stop and stretch my legs after about 30 miles of continuous riding. For me, I
think this is more important on a bent than a DF. I feel like I'm locked into the same position on a
bent, whereas on a DF I'm able to get more variation in my position. Even given that, though, I'm
much more comfortable on a bent than a DF after a long ride.

So, I don't know whether it's the salt solution, the stretching, the combination of both, or some
other factor, but I seldom get foot and leg cramps during rides these days.

John -Southern Tier New York -Burley Django

Thanks all for the anti cramp advice. Salt it is!! Although I'm pretty liberal with the shaker now
(I thought).

I used to use a product called "No Salt". I think it was potassium Chloride. I'm going to
look for it.

Tom

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The last 5 miles, my hamstrings started to want to cramp. I babied them in as well as I could,
> but, with the end in site, one side locked up pretty good. I tried to peddle one legged, but
> that's not very efficient (is it??) sheesh!! I had to sit until the cramps abated, wiggle out of
> the seat and walk the last 50 yards. What a wimp!!!
>
> These cramps are just like the cramps I get sometimes hours after a real hard work out day .
>
> I thought of Cletus at the Mountain of Misery. There really was no choice, was there, Cletus??
> When cramps set in, the show is over.
>
> I had been drinking water quite a bit, so I don't think I was dehydrated. A friend mentioned
> Potassium being low. I have purchased some and it seems to help.
>
> I can only say "Very interesting!!!"
>

> --
> Miles of Smiles,
>
> Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
>
> www.gate.net/~teblum

I too have had problems with cramping, and was told that it was related to a lack of potassium in my
system. I simply have 1 or 2 bananas before riding and if my ride is very long, I'll have another
one during the ride.

Since I started this, I haven't had any more cramps.

Denis Rivest Montreal, Quebec, Canada Stratus rider

Huh, good tip, I'll give it a try too.

Denis Rivest wrote:

> "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > The last 5 miles, my hamstrings started to want to cramp. I babied them in as well as I could,
> > but, with the end in site, one side locked up pretty good. I tried to peddle one legged, but
> > that's not very efficient (is it??) sheesh!! I had to sit until the cramps abated, wiggle out of
> > the seat and walk the last 50 yards. What a wimp!!!
> >
> > These cramps are just like the cramps I get sometimes hours after a real hard work out day .
> >
> > I thought of Cletus at the Mountain of Misery. There really was no choice, was there, Cletus??
> > When cramps set in, the show is over.
> >
> > I had been drinking water quite a bit, so I don't think I was dehydrated. A friend mentioned
> > Potassium being low. I have purchased some and it seems to help.
> >
> > I can only say "Very interesting!!!"
> >

> > --
> > Miles of Smiles,
> >
> > Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
> >
> > www.gate.net/~teblum
>
> I too have had problems with cramping, and was told that it was related to a lack of potassium in
> my system. I simply have 1 or 2 bananas before riding and if my ride is very long, I'll have
> another one during the ride.
>
> Since I started this, I haven't had any more cramps.
>
> Denis Rivest Montreal, Quebec, Canada Stratus rider

Originally posted by Tom Blum
I had been drinking water quite a bit, so I don't think I was dehydrated. A friend mentioned
Potassium being low. I have purchased some and it seems to help.

I thought of either potassium or salt when I read your post. Make sure you drink sport drinks too. They have electrolytes that will keep you going as well. You can buy them or make your own.

Derek

bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in news:3ecced0c$1_3 @news.chariot.net.au:

> Tom Blum wrote:
> > I had been drinking water quite a bit, so I don't think I was dehydrated. A friend mentioned
> > Potassium being low. I have purchased some and it seems to help.
>

> I thought of either potassium or salt when I read your post. Make sure you drink sport drinks too.
> They have electrolytes that will keep you going as well. You can buy them or make your own.
>
> Derek

Eat a banana. Potassium and energy.

Shwackman wrote:

> Hi Tom, The experts I've talked to have insisted it's a lack of salt, so I really started using
> the salt shaker at the table, and drinking Gatorade on the longer rides. That advise came from
> "very impressive" long distance riders. It seems to be working for now, but at some point this
> summer, I'm sure I'll be sidelined with'em again.....Mark C.

I agree. Cramps indicate a mineral deficiency.

mc
--
Replace "****" with "warnerm" in my email addr

I find pushing potassium - bananas, potatoes - effective. I use 'no salt (tm)' potassium chloride on
the table and in cooking. I have heard that twice K::Cl is effective in maintaining low BP -
anecdotally, mine is 100/60 @ 60 RHR. I cramp infrequently - not once per year.

"bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tom Blum wrote:
> > I had been drinking water quite a bit, so I don't think I was dehydrated. A friend mentioned
> > Potassium being low. I have purchased some and it seems to help.
>

> I thought of either potassium or salt when I read your post. Make sure you drink sport drinks too.
> They have electrolytes that will keep you going as well. You can buy them or make your own.
>
> Derek I also take 5-8 tum's when I get calf cramps and the calcium really
helps. This is after many years of getting the cramps in my legs. Sure fire cure. treid potacium but
tums did the trick. Also drink Gatorade while riding

Bill V-rex

Tums cured my middle of the night calf cramps. Just two or three of the big Tums daily.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "bill marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Tom Blum wrote:
> > > I had been drinking water quite a bit, so I don't think I was dehydrated. A friend mentioned
> > > Potassium being low. I have purchased some and it seems to help.
> >

> > I thought of either potassium or salt when I read your post. Make sure you drink sport drinks
> > too. They have electrolytes that will keep you going as well. You can buy them or make your own.
> >
> > Derek I also take 5-8 tum's when I get calf cramps and the calcium really
> helps. This is after many years of getting the cramps in my legs. Sure fire cure. treid potacium
> but tums did the trick. Also drink Gatorade
while
> riding
>
> Bill V-rex
> >

> > --

A couple of years ago I started having real serious cramping problems. The advice so far is right
on target.

Here's what works for me, plus a little additional info not yet posted:

1) I eat a banana for breakfast for the potassium.

2) I take a couple of calcium/magnesium supplements and a vitamin D pill (vitamin D helps absorption
of calcium). There are several forms of calcium available. The most common (calcium carbonate, as
in ground up seashells) is the least absorbable by your body. Look for supplements with a
different form, like calcium citrate for example. Somebody once told me that magnesium also helps
absorption, but I do not consider the source of the information reliable. The pills I take happen
to have it.

3) I've also heard that quinine helps (e.g. tonic water) but I haven't needed to go that far.

Since starting the banana-plus-calcium-pills regimen I haven't cramped, with one exception when I
pushed too hard and too long too early in the season.

Andrew, Your routine is similar to mine. It works for me too. I also add a potassium and magnesium
supplement. Wife's Ruhmatologist says that low magnesium blood levels caused by her Lupus causes
calcium and potassium absorption problems among other things. Sometimes she has to get magnesium
injections when her blood tests show low mag. levels. When this happens she has bad muscle spasms
that the most prescribed muscle relaxants can't help. Her muscles laugh at Flexeril. The shots
eventually help.

news:240520030654314435%[email protected]...