Cramps !

Lonnie Utah

Banned
Aug 21, 2004
So at least three times in the past 7-10 days I've gotten muscle cramps/spasms in my right calf muscle after hard exertions at the latter half/end of my rides. Quite frankly, it sucks. I'm guessing I have a hydration problem or and electrolyte problem, but some of these rides have been short and in cool weather so hydration should be a huge issue. I haven't had any injuries (on that side).

For example, I did my standard hill climb last night. It's about 4 mile at an avg. of 7%. About 1/2 mile from the top I over took another guy (I had chased him for 1.5 miles), but just as I passed him, I cramped. I stayed in front, but couldn't leave him (He hung on about 30-50m back (he may have just lifted his game at that point)). The other one I can remember the details on about, I was on a group ride and was up front doing a long pull into the wind. After about 60-90 seconds, same deal. I had to drop to the back and was dropped for about a mile (I did manage to pull myself back in to the group). Both of these rides were under 1 hour.

Any suggestions/ideas ?