Cranberry Shortbread cookies

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dawn, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    This is the 3rd new recipe I've tried this winter, and of all of them,
    it's coming out the best. The other two were a lot of hassle and only
    tasted so-so.

    http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/C...ookies/CranberryWhiteChocolateShortbread.html

    Cranberry White Chocolate Shortbread

    Prep Time: 15 min
    Total Time: 29 min
    Makes: About 4 dozen cookies or 48 servings, 1 cookie each

    2 cups (4 sticks) butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    4 cups flour
    1 pkg. (6 squares) BAKER'S Premium White Baking Chocolate, chopped
    1-1/2 cups dried cranberries

    PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric
    mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flour; mix well.

    STIR in chopped chocolate and cranberries. Drop rounded tablespoons of
    dough, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten each ball
    of dough slightly.

    BAKE 10 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes on baking
    sheets. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.

    I added the zest of one orange, because cranberry and orange go so well
    together, and cut the white chocolate to 4 squares because I don't care
    so much for the candy taste.

    Dawn

    Tags:

  2. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Dawn wrote:
    > This is the 3rd new recipe I've tried this winter, and of all of them,
    > it's coming out the best. The other two were a lot of hassle and only
    > tasted so-so.
    >
    > http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/C...ookies/CranberryWhiteChocolateShortbread.html
    >
    > Cranberry White Chocolate Shortbread
    > {snip)
    >
    > Dawn

    Dawn, I made something similar last week from a recipe off this group -
    no chocolate, but iit had chopped toasted pecan nuts together with the
    cranberries. The logs were rolled in coconut before slicing and
    baking. They got rave reports from my friends.
    Cheers
    Bronwyn

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is the 3rd new recipe I've tried this winter, and of all of them,
    > it's coming out the best. The other two were a lot of hassle and only
    > tasted so-so.
    >
    > http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/C...ookies/CranberryWhiteChocolateShortbread.html
    >
    > Cranberry White Chocolate Shortbread

    (recipe snipped)
    > I added the zest of one orange, because cranberry and orange go so well
    > together, and cut the white chocolate to 4 squares because I don't care so
    > much for the candy taste.

    Dawn, I will give these a try, and will use your tweaks. I love cranberry
    and orange, and it sounds like the shortbread part will be a nice foil for
    that combo. Thanks!

    Chris

  4. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dawn wrote:
    >> This is the 3rd new recipe I've tried this winter, and of all of them,
    >> it's coming out the best. The other two were a lot of hassle and only
    >> tasted so-so.
    >>
    >> http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/C...ookies/CranberryWhiteChocolateShortbread.html
    >>
    >> Cranberry White Chocolate Shortbread
    >> {snip)
    >>
    >> Dawn

    > Dawn, I made something similar last week from a recipe off this group -
    > no chocolate, but iit had chopped toasted pecan nuts together with the
    > cranberries. The logs were rolled in coconut before slicing and
    > baking. They got rave reports from my friends.
    > Cheers
    > Bronwyn

    I posted that one it is a really good recipe. I'm so glad you tried it.

    Lynne

  5. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is the 3rd new recipe I've tried this winter, and of all of them,
    > it's coming out the best. The other two were a lot of hassle and only
    > tasted so-so.

    Looks good, except for the white chocolate. If you run across a recipe
    designed for cranberries, please be sure to post it here. Until then, these
    should be called cranberry shortbread
    I'll-find-any-excuse-to-eat-anything-with-a-stick-of-butter-in-it cookies.

  6. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:

    > Looks good, except for the white chocolate. If you run across a recipe
    > designed for cranberries, please be sure to post it here. Until then, these
    > should be called cranberry shortbread
    > I'll-find-any-excuse-to-eat-anything-with-a-stick-of-butter-in-it cookies.

    Doug, make that "anything with four sticks of butter in it". :)

    I've got to say it's the lightest melt-in-your-mouth shortbread recipe
    I've ever made. I'm not sure what makes it better than the plain old
    standby shortbread. It's not the white chocolate, though.

    Dawn

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    >

    >> Looks good, except for the white chocolate. If you run across a recipe
    >> designed for cranberries, please be sure to post it here. Until then,
    >> these should be called cranberry shortbread
    >> I'll-find-any-excuse-to-eat-anything-with-a-stick-of-butter-in-it
    >> cookies.

    > Doug, make that "anything with four sticks of butter in it". :)
    >
    > I've got to say it's the lightest melt-in-your-mouth shortbread recipe
    > I've ever made. I'm not sure what makes it better than the plain old
    > standby shortbread. It's not the white chocolate, though.

    Dawn, would you bother with the white chocolate next time? That's the only
    thing that gives me pause. I wonder if some chopped walnuts or almonds
    might be a good addition, but I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate.

    Chris (getting ready to bake these puppies on Wed. or Thurs.)

  8. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    > "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Doug Kanter wrote:
    >>

    >>> Looks good, except for the white chocolate. If you run across a recipe
    >>> designed for cranberries, please be sure to post it here. Until then,
    >>> these should be called cranberry shortbread
    >>> I'll-find-any-excuse-to-eat-anything-with-a-stick-of-butter-in-it
    >>> cookies.

    >> Doug, make that "anything with four sticks of butter in it". :)
    >>
    >> I've got to say it's the lightest melt-in-your-mouth shortbread recipe
    >> I've ever made. I'm not sure what makes it better than the plain old
    >> standby shortbread. It's not the white chocolate, though.

    > Dawn, would you bother with the white chocolate next time? That's the
    > only thing that gives me pause. I wonder if some chopped walnuts or
    > almonds might be a good addition, but I'm not a huge fan of white
    > chocolate.
    >
    > Chris (getting ready to bake these puppies on Wed. or Thurs.)

    These cookies are great and have nuts in them and are shortbread with
    cranberries. Could skip the coconut if that puts you off.

    Lynne

    Cranberry Noel Cookies

    1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
    3/4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
    1/2 cup pecans, toasted
    1- 1/2 cup coconut, finely chopped

    1 In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat
    the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2
    minutes. Add milk, vanilla, and salt. Beat until just combined. Gradually
    add flour, cranberries, and pecans. Mix on low speed until fully combined.
    2 Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 8-inch logs, about 2 inches in
    diameter. Roll logs in coconut, pressing lightly to coat the outside of the
    logs. Wrap logs in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
    3 Heat oven to 375°. Using a sharp knife, cut logs into 1/4-inch thick
    slices. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, about 1 1/2-inches apart. Bake
    until edges are golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to
    cool. Store up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
    4 Lynne's note: I toasted pecans at 350 degrees in the toaster oven for
    about 10 minutes. Cranberries needed to be whirled in food processor they
    were hard to chop finely. On the other hand the food processor was too rough
    on the pecans and they did better with the Pampered Chef Food Chopper.
    Cookies do spread a little and they do turn brown, but they are tasty either
    way.

    Servings: 60
    Yield: 5 dozen

  9. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    > "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Doug Kanter wrote:
    >>

    >>> Looks good, except for the white chocolate. If you run across a recipe
    >>> designed for cranberries, please be sure to post it here. Until then,
    >>> these should be called cranberry shortbread
    >>> I'll-find-any-excuse-to-eat-anything-with-a-stick-of-butter-in-it
    >>> cookies.

    >> Doug, make that "anything with four sticks of butter in it". :)
    >>
    >> I've got to say it's the lightest melt-in-your-mouth shortbread recipe
    >> I've ever made. I'm not sure what makes it better than the plain old
    >> standby shortbread. It's not the white chocolate, though.

    > Dawn, would you bother with the white chocolate next time? That's the
    > only thing that gives me pause. I wonder if some chopped walnuts or
    > almonds might be a good addition, but I'm not a huge fan of white
    > chocolate.
    >
    > Chris (getting ready to bake these puppies on Wed. or Thurs.)

    White chocolate is flavored fat. Gag me.

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> Doug, make that "anything with four sticks of butter in it". :)
    >>>
    >>> I've got to say it's the lightest melt-in-your-mouth shortbread recipe
    >>> I've ever made. I'm not sure what makes it better than the plain old
    >>> standby shortbread. It's not the white chocolate, though.

    >> Dawn, would you bother with the white chocolate next time? That's the
    >> only thing that gives me pause. I wonder if some chopped walnuts or
    >> almonds might be a good addition, but I'm not a huge fan of white
    >> chocolate.
    >>
    >> Chris (getting ready to bake these puppies on Wed. or Thurs.)

    > These cookies are great and have nuts in them and are shortbread with
    > cranberries. Could skip the coconut if that puts you off.
    >
    > Lynne
    >
    > Cranberry Noel Cookies

    Thank you, Lynne!

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Looks good, except for the white chocolate. If you run across a recipe
    > designed for cranberries, please be sure to post it here. Until then, these
    > should be called cranberry shortbread
    > I'll-find-any-excuse-to-eat-anything-with-a-stick-of-butter-in-it cookies.

    Do you ever have anything constructive to say, or is it just your
    nature to be insulting?

    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  12. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:

    > White chocolate is flavored fat. Gag me.

    So is milk chocolate for that matter.

    Dawn

  13. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > Dawn, would you bother with the white chocolate next time? That's the only
    > thing that gives me pause. I wonder if some chopped walnuts or almonds
    > might be a good addition, but I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate.

    No, I probably wouldn't. I don't mind white chocolate so much, as long
    as it's a good brand made with real cocoa butter, but sweets give me a
    stomach-ache. These cookies are just on the edge of too sweet for me, so
    I'd probably cut the candy next time.

    FWIW, there's another cranberry cookie recipe here, along with several
    others that might appeal:

    http://www.contradancelinks.com/cookies.html

    I haven't tried any yet, but the cranberry orange oatmeal walnut cookies
    sound good. I just need to find fresh lemons.

    Dawn

  14. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Dawn wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >

    >> Dawn, would you bother with the white chocolate next time? That's the
    >> only thing that gives me pause. I wonder if some chopped walnuts or
    >> almonds might be a good addition, but I'm not a huge fan of white
    >> chocolate.
    >>

    > No, I probably wouldn't. I don't mind white chocolate so much, as long
    > as it's a good brand made with real cocoa butter, but sweets give me a
    > stomach-ache. These cookies are just on the edge of too sweet for me, so
    > I'd probably cut the candy next time.
    >
    > FWIW, there's another cranberry cookie recipe here, along with several
    > others that might appeal:
    >
    > http://www.contradancelinks.com/cookies.html
    >
    > I haven't tried any yet, but the cranberry orange oatmeal walnut cookies
    > sound good. I just need to find fresh lemons.
    >

    > Dawn

    Here's a cranberry cookie (not shortbread) that's pretty good. I've
    posted it several times, but not sure if I've posted it recently:

    Cranberry Cookies
    (from Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library, 1971)

    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
    1/4 cup milk
    2 Tbsp orange juice
    1 egg
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup chopped nuts
    2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped frozen cranberries [one 12 (?) ounce bag]

    Heat oven to 375. Cream butter and sugars, stir in remaining
    ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart on greased
    cookie sheets and bake 10 to 15 minutes.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  15. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is the 3rd new recipe I've tried this winter, and of all of them,
    > it's coming out the best. The other two were a lot of hassle and only
    > tasted so-so.
    >
    > http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/C...ookies/CranberryWhiteChocolateShortbread.html
    >
    > Cranberry White Chocolate Shortbread
    >
    > 2 cups (4 sticks) butter, softened
    > 1 cup sugar
    > 4 cups flour
    > 1 pkg. (6 squares) BAKER'S Premium White Baking Chocolate, chopped
    > 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries
    >
    > PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric
    > mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flour; mix well.
    >
    > STIR in chopped chocolate and cranberries. Drop rounded tablespoons of
    > dough, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten each ball of
    > dough slightly.
    >
    > BAKE 10 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes on baking
    > sheets. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
    >

    > I added the zest of one orange, because cranberry and orange go so well
    > together, and cut the white chocolate to 4 squares because I don't care so
    > much for the candy taste.

    I made these yesterday...I've never made shortbread before, so I don't know
    if I did something wrong, but the dough was pretty much just crumbs that I
    had to smoosh together to form cookies. I used four ounces of white choc
    chips (Ghirardelli, I think), and didn't mind them. Only a few showed up in
    each cookie. I also realized at the last minute that I didn't have enough
    cranberries. I added a small amount of dried, tart cherries to make up the
    difference. And I added the zest of an orange -- what a wonderful touch!

    I can't keep my hands off these cookies...they're wonderful! And I think
    they're pretty versatile...they would have been fine w/ fewer cranberries
    than called for, or without the white chocolate. Nuts (almonds, I think)
    would be nice, too. Though I'm making these for a teacher cookie exchange
    at my son's school, and they asked for nut-free cookies. But maybe next
    time....

    Thanks for the recipe, Dawn! I still have some more to bake...I baked one
    batch last night, and rolled the rest of the dough into a log that I'll
    slice and bake this afternoon.
    Chris

  16. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Looks good, except for the white chocolate. If you run across a recipe
    >> designed for cranberries, please be sure to post it here. Until then,
    >> these
    >> should be called cranberry shortbread
    >> I'll-find-any-excuse-to-eat-anything-with-a-stick-of-butter-in-it
    >> cookies.

    > Do you ever have anything constructive to say, or is it just your
    > nature to be insulting?
    >
    > Ranee

    Quite a bit of constructive stuff, actually.