Crank Arm Lengths - Dura Ace 7800 Crank Set

felipeinsa

Nov 13, 2007
I got a great used Dura Ace 7800 Gruppo. . . but it's for my 5'0" wife. The cranks are 172.5 and she probably needs 167.5 or 165 's . . :confused: Anybody have any opinions on crank lengths for a shorter lady? Anybody have some dura ace 165 ish cranks they want to trade for 172.5's?
Sunny and 51 degrees in San Antonio!
-Phil

felipeinsa said:
I got a great used Dura Ace 7800 Gruppo. . . but it's for my 5'0" wife. The cranks are 172.5 and she probably needs 167.5 or 165 's . . :confused: Anybody have any opinions on crank lengths for a shorter lady? Anybody have some dura ace 165 ish cranks they want to trade for 172.5's?
Sunny and 51 degrees in San Antonio!
-Phil

167.5 is probably too long.

It's easy to find 165s so that might be the option, especially for a road bike.

Wouldn't be surpised if smaller than 165 might be better for someone that small.

Optimal crank length is usually a function of femur length, so her height is correlative rather than definitive toward what size best suits her. If she has knee problems, there would be a suggesting of a further need for shorter cranks.

There are crank shorteners (primarily used for children on tandems) available which could accomodate plural sizes smaller than 165, and it gives you more sizing options if you guess wrong.

110 bcd Bmx cranks are often available down to 140, but I suspect 160ish or maybe 155 is as small as she would want-but then you'd probably need new 110 bcd rings.

Since you have them, let her ride them and see how it feels.

But I expect she'll need shorter cranks.