Crank arm removal

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by koebwil, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

    I have the qu-ax splined uni, and I can't get the cranks off of it. I
    have the right hex key, I loosened the slot, and I lubed it to bajesus
    and back, but they won't come off. Any help would be great.

    --
    koebwil
    koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

  2. musketman

    musketman Guest

  3. Don't just loosen the bolts, take them out.

    You did do both bolts right?

    --
    forrestunifreak

    Andrew Carter wrote:
    > I never thought I'd hear myself saying this but if it comes down to blue
    > nipples that are (weak), or plain strong ones, I'll most likely go for
    > the blue ones...

    you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

    'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

  4. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  5. I can get mine off by hand, you have to pull hard with one hand, puch
    with the other, and sortof wiggle it back and forth.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    "I never thought I'd hear myself saying this but if it comes down to
    blue nipples that are (weak), or plain strong ones, I'll most likely go
    for the blue ones..."~Andrew Carter

    you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

  6. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  7. harper

    harper Guest

    koebwil wrote:
    > I still can't get these crank arms off. I took the uni to my LBS and
    > the guy there was only able to remove one. If anyone has any ideas
    > that could help me I need them.

    They didn't have a gear/bearing puller there? I've had to use a bearing
    puller on a tapered crank once.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Here's a thread with a picture showing how you can use a bearing puller
    (in this case the Evercraft bearing puller sold by Unicycle.com and
    NAPA auto parts stores) to pull off a splined crank: 'Profile
    maintenance' (http://tinyurl.com/3645)

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  9. musketman

    musketman Guest

    so the block thing didn't do the trick? Dang, i think you have to get a
    bearing puller then. I really think you should get a KH hub for your
    next hub, the cranks go on and come off by hand everytime, and are
    lighter than profile hubs. No creaking (at least in my hub)of any kind
    either.

    --
    musketman
    musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

  10. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    I'm amazed that the wood and hammer trick didn't work. I actually use a
    piece of steel pipe, padded with a sock, and just bang away till that
    sucker comes off. With new Profile cranks, it sometimes takes some
    serious hamering. Gear puller probably puts more direct force on the
    crank arm but you miss the pleasure of hammering like hell on the
    uni--which has hammered me plenty of times . . .

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  11. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  12. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    koebwil wrote:
    > I figure I'll try heating up the other crank arm. Also I'll buy a KH 06
    > when they come out.

    Heating isn't a good idea. You could just end up ruining the crank
    with the heat (tempering the heat treatment). Besides both the crank
    and axle are steel so they'll both expand at the same rate due to
    heat.

    Try 'penetrating oil' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penetrating_oil)
    and let the penetrating oil work its way in for several hours or a day.
    WD-40 is one type of penetrating oil, but there is better stuff out
    there if the WD-40 doesn't work.

    Then when you put the crank back on make sure to use grease or
    anti-seize so the crank doesn't get rusted on or stuck again.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  13. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > Here's a thread with a picture showing how you can use a bearing puller
    > (in this case the Evercraft bearing puller sold by Unicycle.com and
    > NAPA auto parts stores) to pull off a splined crank: 'Profile
    > maintenance' (http://tinyurl.com/3645)

    Now that's an historic post ... Ryan's first Profile hub and cranks...

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  14. Carey

    Carey Guest

    Get the right crank puller for it. It is different than the ones for a
    tapered hub. I dorked around trying to get the cranks off my KH, got
    it stuck, and had to send it back to UDC to fix it for me.

    Park Tool USA makes a nice one called a CCP-4. Costs less than
    shipping a unicycle back too.

    Carey

    --
    Carey