Crank Arm Spacing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bob Devany, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bob Devany

    Bob Devany Guest

    I measured the distance between the chainstay and inside of the left and right crank arms at the
    pedal threads and found that right arm (drive side) was about 2 mm further from the chainstay than
    the left arm. This is on a Campy triple with both arms set at the same torque. My Shimano bike
    showed a similar discrepancy. From a biomechanical perspective this seems flawed to me. Is there a
    fix? I'm having problem with pain on the outside of my left knee so any ideas or fixes would be much
    appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. The reason for it is the chainline. It is fairly common for the driveside crank to be a little
    farther out. Especially with triples. Most likely nothing to worry about. Nothing about our anatomy
    is symetrical. Your legs are probably different by a few millimeters, your foot size probably is
    also. Does your left foot point dramatically outward (heels inward) during your normal walk? If not
    I would tend to doubt the problem you are having with your left knee is caused by the right crank
    being a few mm farther out. Usually narrower cranks are considered to be better for your knees.

    "Bob Devany" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I measured the distance between the chainstay and inside of the left and right crank arms at the
    > pedal threads and found that right arm (drive side) was about 2 mm further from the chainstay than
    > the left arm. This is on a Campy triple with both arms set at the same torque. My Shimano bike
    > showed a similar discrepancy. From a biomechanical perspective this seems flawed to me. Is there a
    > fix? I'm having problem with pain on the outside of my left knee so any ideas or fixes would be
    > much appreciated.

  3. bob-<< was about 2 mm further from the chainstay than the left arm. This is on a Campy triple with
    both arms set at the same torque. My Shimano bike showed a similar discrepancy.

    Not uncommon but I don't think this 2mm is causing the knee pain or something that can't be
    corrected with a pedal/cleat/bike fit.

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    You can install a 2 mm washer under the appropriate pedal before attachment to crank and see if that
    makes any difference, which I doubt it will. If the washer does make a difference, leave it there or
    adjust cleat on shoe.

    On 23 Jan 2003 13:46:05 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >Not uncommon but I don't think this 2mm is causing the knee pain or something that can't be
    >corrected with a pedal/cleat/bike fit.
    >

    >Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    >(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  5. mtf125

    mtf125 New Member

    Joined: