Crank/BB creaking

xxamr_corpxx

Mar 16, 2006
Recently, the cranks or the bottom bracket on my Peugeot have started creaking a bit while I'm pedalling. The creaking tends to come and go, and I'm having real trouble working out what to do.

A few weeks ago I replaced the original road crankset with a MTB crankset. Could this be a cause?

xxamr_corpxx said:
Recently, the cranks or the bottom bracket on my Peugeot have started creaking a bit while I'm pedalling. The creaking tends to come and go, and I'm having real trouble working out what to do.

A few weeks ago I replaced the original road crankset with a MTB crankset. Could this be a cause?
I had this problem with creaking. I removed the crank and bb, cleaned it thoroughly along with the threads in the bb shell, and reapplied using loc-tite blue. Creaking is gone. The MTB set-up shouldn't make a difference.

Surprisingly, it may not have been the BB/cranks, but the pedals. Loosening them until they could easily be turned with a pedal wrench made the creaking disappear.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Surprisingly, it may not have been the BB/cranks, but the pedals. Loosening them until they could easily be turned with a pedal wrench made the creaking disappear.
YEP! PEDDALS ARE OFTEN THE CULPRIT,Using plumbers tread tape on the treads usualy solves the problem.