Crank Bearings Change

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by No Way, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. No Way

    No Way Guest

    Hi

    I have a 'Specialized' FSR model bike. The crank bearings
    are not smooth. I feel notchiness

    Are they easy to change? Or is it smarter to let a good bike
    shop change them? I do have lots of good tools.

    Do I need a >special< tool to get the pedals off? Or, to get
    the assembly apart?

    thanks for replies here or to
    [email protected]

    Brian

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:47:11 -0800, "No Way" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have a 'Specialized' FSR model bike. The crank bearings
    >are not smooth. I feel notchiness
    >
    >Are they easy to change? Or is it smarter to let a good
    >bike shop change them? I do have lots of good tools.
    >
    >Do I need a >special< tool to get the pedals off? Or, to
    >get the assembly apart?

    The pedals should come off with either a 6mm allen key or a
    15mm pedal wrench.

    The crankarms will require a crankarm extractor tool.

    As to whether or not you can do it yourself, well others
    will tell you; I'm not that good with the wrenching on my
    bike, yet, so I leave the bottom bracket and headset (two
    things that require special tools) alone.

    -Luigi

    >thanks for replies here or to
    >[email protected]
    >
    >Brian

  3. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "No Way" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a 'Specialized' FSR model bike. The crank bearings
    > are not smooth. I feel notchiness
    >
    > Are they easy to change? Or is it smarter to let a good
    > bike shop change them? I do have lots of good tools.
    >
    > Do I need a >special< tool to get the pedals off? Or, to
    > get the assembly apart?

    The bearings are a cartridge assembly (not serviceable,
    usually $20-30 USD). Besides a new cartridge, you'll need:

    - a pedal wrench (usually 15 mm), thinner than a standard
    wrench to fit on flats on pedal spindle. (left side pedal
    is reverse threaded).

    - a "crank extractor", a special tool that threads into the
    crank and pushes it off the crank spindle ($10-15 USD).

    - a "bottom bracket" (BB) wrench - matches the splines on
    the bearing cartridge (AKA BB) ($10-15 USD). Usually right
    side splines are metal & part of BB, left side is plastic
    and just a sleeve.

    Check out the Park tools site &/or Sheldon Brown's site for
    instructions. It's not too hard to do with the proper tools
    & instructions. Bottom brackets come in different spindle &
    shell lengths and have a couple or more common spindle end
    shapes (splined/square), so you need to buy the right one,
    your old one should have sizes marked.

    It's handy to have the tools & know-how to remove pedals &
    cranks, but BB replacement isn't all that common a task &
    isn't very expensive to have done at a shop. Your call...

  4. No Way

    No Way Guest

    Thanks for your detailed reply. convert the tools costs to
    Canadian dollars hmmmmmm I do enjoy doing my own work But,
    maybe a one time job is worth having a good shop do it. And
    let me watch. ;)

    Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]_s02...
    > "No Way" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > 01.sprint.ca...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have a 'Specialized' FSR model bike. The crank
    > > bearings are not smooth. I feel notchiness
    > >
    > > Are they easy to change? Or is it smarter to let a good
    > > bike shop change them? I do have lots of good tools.
    > >
    > > Do I need a >special< tool to get the pedals off? Or, to
    > > get the assembly apart?
    >
    > The bearings are a cartridge assembly (not serviceable,
    > usually $20-30
    USD).
    > Besides a new cartridge, you'll need:
    >
    > - a pedal wrench (usually 15 mm), thinner than a standard
    > wrench to fit on flats on pedal spindle. (left side
    > pedal is reverse threaded).
    >
    > - a "crank extractor", a special tool that threads into
    > the crank and
    pushes
    > it off the crank spindle ($10-15 USD).
    >
    > - a "bottom bracket" (BB) wrench - matches the splines on
    > the bearing cartridge (AKA BB) ($10-15 USD). Usually
    > right side splines are metal &
    part
    > of BB, left side is plastic and just a sleeve.
    >
    > Check out the Park tools site &/or Sheldon Brown's site
    > for instructions.
    It's
    > not too hard to do with the proper tools & instructions.
    > Bottom brackets
    come
    > in different spindle & shell lengths and have a couple or
    > more common
    spindle
    > end shapes (splined/square), so you need to buy the right
    > one, your old
    one
    > should have sizes marked.
    >
    > It's handy to have the tools & know-how to remove pedals &
    > cranks, but BB replacement isn't all that common a task &
    > isn't very expensive to have
    done
    > at a shop. Your call...

  5. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:50:49 GMT, "Peter Cole"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The bearings are a cartridge assembly (not serviceable,
    >usually $20-30 USD). Besides a new cartridge, you'll need:
    >
    >- a pedal wrench (usually 15 mm), thinner than a standard
    > wrench to fit on flats on pedal spindle. (left side pedal
    > is reverse threaded).

    Why do you need a pedal wrench to replace a bottom bracket?
    I've pulled cranks again and again without needing to touch
    the pedals- just leave them on the cranks.

    Then again, when a bottom bracket goes out could be a good
    time to pull the pedals just to make sure that they haven't
    frozen in place. Then regrease and reinstall.

    Anyway, I don't think that you *need* a pedal wrench to work
    on a bottom bracket, unless full suspension bikes are even
    weirder than I imagine.

  6. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    No Way wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a 'Specialized' FSR model bike. The crank bearings
    > are not smooth. I feel notchiness
    >
    > Are they easy to change? Or is it smarter to let a good
    > bike shop change them? I do have lots of good tools.
    >
    > Do I need a >special< tool to get the pedals off? Or, to
    > get the assembly apart?

    Is the notchiness in the pedals as they spin or the crank
    arms as they turn?

    No need to remove pedals if it's your bottom bracket that's
    toasted. You *may* have "extractor bolts" (8 mm) installed
    on your crank arms; otherwise you need a special tool to
    remove them. You'll also need a bottom bracket tool after
    that ("left is right; right is wrong" threadwise).

    I suggest taking it to your LBS (bike shop) and asking
    them to show you what they're doing to diagnose and fix
    the problem.

    Bill "first step is isolating the notch" S.

  7. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Why do you need a pedal wrench to replace a bottom
    > bracket? I've pulled cranks again and again without
    > needing to touch the pedals- just leave them on the
    > cranks.

    You don't, the OP asked how to get his off.

  9. No Way

    No Way Guest