crank bolts

hammex

Mar 7, 2007
i have a budget 52/42 tracer crankset on my urban (pub!) bike. I want to convert the bike to a fixie.....so will discard the 52 ring. This may sound pathetic...but i can'd find any budget crank bolts on the web...my old ones won't "do up" tight enough. CAn anyone point me in a good e direction(preferably UK). I don't have time for a couple of weeks to go to my cycle shop.Thanks in advance!

Are you looking for the 5 spider-chain ring bolts?

They come in 2 lengths, for single chainrings and double.

I would not use Tracer double for a single speed, look for an old steel crankset with the chainring flush with the crank arm.

Also chainline, you will need a shorter bottom bracket.

One I prepared earlier:

hammex said:
i have a budget 52/42 tracer crankset on my urban (pub!) bike. I want to convert the bike to a fixie.....so will discard the 52 ring. This may sound pathetic...but i can'd find any budget crank bolts on the web...my old ones won't "do up" tight enough. CAn anyone point me in a good e direction(preferably UK). I don't have time for a couple of weeks to go to my cycle shop.Thanks in advance!
FWIW. Sounds as though you either want:

1) "BMX" chainring bolts
2) spacers -- basically, expensive alloy washers from your LBS (NB. you can probably bend some O-rings to use as spacers from an old spoke or wire coat hanger unless you have arthritis in your hands or unless you are a complete spaz)
3) a chainring guard to subsitute for the absent chainring

To make your DIY O-rings, you'll need (needlenose OR lineman's) pliers ... wrap the "coat hanger" around the female nut 360º, snip ... repeat.

alfeng said:
FWIW. Sounds as though you either want:

1) "2) spacers -- basically, expensive alloy washers from your LBS (NB. you can probably bend some O-rings to use as spacers from an old spoke or wire coat hanger unless you have arthritis in your hands or unless you are a complete spaz) ...To make your DIY O-rings, you'll need (needlenose OR lineman's) pliers ... wrap the "coat hanger" around the female nut 360º, snip ... repeat.
Those can spread out. Any hardware store will have a selection of washers for a few cents each. My local Sears and Ace have drawers full and you can buy them individually.

hammex said:

Did a quick google search for 'bicycle mailorder in the UK' and got only 333,000 hits. Get some track chainring bolts, use the small ring only, no need to shorten the BB spindle, go ride.

Found a great supplier in uk for normal priced track bolts: http://www.hubjub.co.uk/

as they say:

"It is still stupidly hard to find single chainring bolts in the UK, and these do the job pretty well. We sell tons"

Hence my original post..!!

Thanks all.