Crank Bros. Mallet C or Time Z Pedals

kbakersjsu

Feb 27, 2004
I have been looking to upgrade my pedals on my MTB. My background is BMX so I love the idea of the base along with the clipless option.
My question:
I am an XC rider not a DH rider. I stick mainly to single tracks and long climbs. Will I regret switching to platforms and adding that much weight for the type of riding that I do?
Rigs: Giant NRS 1

I don't think you will notice a couple of mundred grams of platforms and they can make some of the trickier XC sections a bit more manageable cause you can clip out but still keep pedalling.

I used to ride a set of shimano 636s on my xc bike and i loved them. Ironically these days i run XC pedals on my freeride rig... go figure!!

You probably wouldnt notice the weight, when I took out my time atac's for platforms on my Homegrown I didnt notic a thing except better techinacal section performance.

If you're going clipless and riding XC dump the combo pedals. Just get it right from the start and use a cageless pedal. You will never use the platform since you will discover right away that its not the same thing. The clip system and cleat on the should will make the platform feel very insecure and slippery if its unclipped. You end up trying to clip in always anyway so it just become excess weight and get s in the way.

I ride the Time Z pedals and they're great. The platform lets you hop on and get moving in places where you don't have a chance to get clipped in. Yeah, you'll stay clipped in 95% on the time, but the platform is a real life saver that other 5%.

I also live downtown and the plaforms work well enough for scooting around the neighborhood in street shoes.

Hi, How do the Time Z pedals compare to normal pedals with heaps of grip? I removed my Shimano 520 clipless and bolted on some cheap platforms as I could not stand the 520's for riding on the street where I would not want to be clipped. I would love clipless pedals but only if I still had 2 sided grips like with platforms for when I wear sneakers.

Thanks

The Zs are not very grippy as platforms. The clip mechanism actually sticks up a little higher than the platform so a stiff shoe with a slick sole will slip right off. They're definately a chip-in pedal with a platform, not a platform pedal with a clip ;) You don't want to do any serious riding on them without bike shoes. When I did an adventure race that did not allow a transition area, I swapped my Zs out for good ol' platforms.

The Mallets look to be much better in this regard, but unfortunately I have not had a chance to ride them :(

Thanks for the reply

I ordered the mallet c just to see how they go. I dream of clipless for training and platform for mucking around. Hopefully these will work well:)

I recieved my Mallet C yesterday arvo and they are everything I wanted. They are better than my cheapy platforms for grip and control.

I have not tried clipless as yet but looking forward to it.