Crank bros pedals--Does a platform matter?



John M

New Member
Jun 21, 2005
1,404
0
0
I'm thinking about trying the Crank Brothers pedals. Does having a platform matter or are the basic Egg beaters sufficient?
 

Scotty_Dog

Member
Jul 30, 2004
1,107
6
38
52
John M said:
Does having a platform matter or are the basic Egg beaters sufficient?
For me, the standard Egg Beater design works the best. Clipping in and out is a complete no-brainer because there isn't a platform to get in the way. I tried the Mallets and disliked them because the large platform was actually a hindrance. I replaced the Mallets with the (stainless) Egg Beater SL two years ago and I have zero complaints. I recall hearing some forum members mention foot "hot spots", but I have never personally encountered it with the Egg Beaters.

As a side note, the quality of all the Crank Brothers' pedals is phenomenal. I wasn't sure if I should install them on my bike, or gently place them in my china cabinet because they are works of art!
 

Medic_Pilot

New Member
May 22, 2006
8
0
0
I can't agree more on the quality of Crank Bros products.

I've been using the Candy model, which has a small platform. After a couple of rides I find that clipping into them is pretty easy. With the small platform I can still ride the bike with just regular shoes on a short ride if necessary.
 

Archibald

New Member
Jun 19, 2006
221
2
0
i have eggbeaters on the mtb.
switched from spd's when i encountered clogging problems on wet and muddy tracks.
been great, and only have one whinge about them - they were a bit stiff in the beginning and i did have some trouble clipping in and out of them, but after some use it's now fine.
 

fauxpas

New Member
May 20, 2006
487
0
0
Are there specific crank bros eggbeaters for road and mtb? They all look the same to me...
 

Medic_Pilot

New Member
May 22, 2006
8
0
0
fauxpas said:
Are there specific crank bros eggbeaters for road and mtb? They all look the same to me...
Crank Bros makes one model specifically for road. It's the Quatro. Most of their other products seem to be geared toward MTB or casual riding. However, I'm sure that any of the products are interchangeable.
 

1id10t

New Member
Apr 11, 2005
343
0
0
I have Eggbeaters on both MTBs and am going to put another on the new road bike i'm picking up this weekend. As one poster put it, it's a no-brainer. I love them for commuting because as soon as the traffic starts moving I can just stomp down on the pedal and away I go; no flipping pedals over etc. I also love the WTF factor when people look at them and ask where the hell the pedals gone. I still have a pair of SPDs and Look pedals but these are just languishing in the garage as I've not been interested in putting them back on any bike. Might have to eBay them.
BTW, FWIW, I don't think a platform is necessary; but that's my opinion. :)
 

bobbyOCR

New Member
Aug 31, 2005
1,357
0
0
32
fauxpas said:
Are there specific crank bros eggbeaters for road and mtb? They all look the same to me...
Technically, they are. I run a pair of candies on my MTB, singlespeed and sometimes when I am climbing my road (until I replace my current shimanos). They are the eggbeater, with a different platform for each model. the Candies are very very durable, very easy to clip into, don't get clogged, don't jam and unless you twis, it is impossible to unclip pulling up (hence using them on hills)
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
4
0
With stiff shoes you should not have a problem with the platform size.

The only problem I have encountered with egg beaters is that after extended use they wear two grooves in the sole of your shoe fore and aft of the cleat. I will have to eventually trash a pair of Sidi Action shoes because of this. With a shoe that has a replaceable cleat adapter, like a lot of Sidi's road shoes, this would not be a problem.
 

sideshow_bob

New Member
Apr 26, 2005
506
0
0
bobbyOCR said:
Technically, they are. I run a pair of candies on my MTB, singlespeed and sometimes when I am climbing my road (until I replace my current shimanos). They are the eggbeater, with a different platform for each model. the Candies are very very durable, very easy to clip into, don't get clogged, don't jam and unless you twis, it is impossible to unclip pulling up (hence using them on hills)
How do you think you'd go sprinting in them out of the saddle? I'm thinking about putting a set of egg beaters on my training bike.

--brett
 

toshi

New Member
Jun 3, 2006
6
0
0
I use the stainless eggbeaters on my track bike and road bike. It's pretty tough to pull out of these - I've never done it. For a little extra insurance, you can reverse the cleats so that the release angle is 15 degrees. This means you'd have to torque your heel or point your toe out ridiculously far during a sprint in order to dislodge.

Otherwise, the design of the eggs is such that the more you pull up on them, the harder they clamp down on your cleat.

As a prior poster mentioned, they provide more than enough platform using shoes with stiff soles - this doesn't necessarily mean carbon.

Finally, the indentation that was mentioned earlier via the pedal cage: this is not an issue if you use the quattro road cleats, since their pontoons protect the underside/contact point of your sole.
 

Insight Driver

New Member
Jun 26, 2003
494
2
0
69
I am also a big fan of the Candy pedals. I have left my bike in the same gear I was using on the flats to go up a short steep incline and I was out of the saddle, and yanking up like crazy on the pedals with no problems. On long rides to get my circulation flowing in my one leg, I'll unclip with an easy twist of my foot and stick my leg out. It's so easy to clip back in because the design is very good for having a wide sweet spot. I like the float, too, for as long as I don't get to the clip-out angle, the pedal is very secure. This lets me rotate my feet a bit to keep the circulation going.
 

bobbyOCR

New Member
Aug 31, 2005
1,357
0
0
32
sideshow_bob said:
How do you think you'd go sprinting in them out of the saddle? I'm thinking about putting a set of egg beaters on my training bike.

--brett
I used them in a crit and they were fine. If you throw your bike side to side a hell of a lot then no, but with the 15degree release angle they are excellent, the cleat tightens teh fastening system when you pull up, great for bunnyhopping in MTB
 

John M

New Member
Jun 21, 2005
1,404
0
0
Bro Deal said:
With stiff shoes you should not have a problem with the platform size.

The only problem I have encountered with egg beaters is that after extended use they wear two grooves in the sole of your shoe fore and aft of the cleat. I will have to eventually trash a pair of Sidi Action shoes because of this. With a shoe that has a replaceable cleat adapter, like a lot of Sidi's road shoes, this would not be a problem.
Thanks to all for the input.