Crank brothers egg beaters vs. Time pedals

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Grippedclimer, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. I am curious to know what people think of the egg beater pedals. I have the Time Al ones and think
    they are ok. Might buy a pair of egg beaters but want some beta first.

    Thanks in advance,

    grippedclimer "And that is what I have always loved about adventure. It forces you to be alive and
    that is something we all want." Royal Robbins

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am curious to know what people think of the egg beater pedals. I have
    the
    > Time Al ones and think they are ok. Might buy a pair of egg beaters but
    want
    > some beta first.

    Everyone's going to scream at you to go Google on this one - it has been done do death - but I'm
    gonna give you a break, cause I'll never know when I'll need my next belay.

    Eggbeaters rule, they're the best XC pedal yet. For complete details, see the aforementioned
    Google search.

    Chris

  3. Tbf

    Tbf Guest

    > "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am curious to know what people think of the egg beater pedals. I have
    > the
    > > Time Al ones and think they are ok. Might buy a pair of egg beaters but
    > want
    > > some beta first.
    >
    > Everyone's going to scream at you to go Google on this one - it has been done do death - but I'm
    > gonna give you a break, cause I'll never know when I'll need my next belay.
    >
    > Eggbeaters rule, they're the best XC pedal yet. For complete details, see the aforementioned
    > Google search.
    >
    > Chris

    Eggbeaters!

    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/

  4. I ride Egg beaters and they are awesome. Light and cheap ($59 at Nashbar or Performance.com for 2002
    models). For 2003 they have three new versions, all which costs a whole lot more, especially the
    Triple Ti model which is meant for road use only.

    Grippedclimer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am curious to know what people think of the egg beater pedals. I have
    the
    > Time Al ones and think they are ok. Might buy a pair of egg beaters but
    want
    > some beta first.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > grippedclimer "And that is what I have always loved about adventure. It forces you to be alive and
    > that is something we all want." Royal Robbins

  5. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "Richard Colfack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I ride Egg beaters and they are awesome. Light and cheap ($59 at Nashbar
    or
    > Performance.com for 2002 models). For 2003 they have three new
    versions,
    > all which costs a whole lot more, especially the Triple Ti model which is meant for road use only.

    I rode ATAC's for 5 years before and didn't think anything could touch them till I tried Eggbeaters.
    The Eggbeaters are lighter, easier in and out, shed mud better, and used to be cheaper (2002 model).

    The one flaw is that the bushings and bearings fail after a few months, making for sticky spinning.
    Crank Bros. sells a rebuild kit, but what a pain. I would check out the Look 4 x 4's, a licensed
    design of the pedal but with needle bearings. They are the same price as the stainless Eggbeater,
    though a tad heavier, but sound like they might work better and last longer.
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNB
    R=27678&CGRFNBR=579&CRPCGNBR=579&CI=1,225,525,579&TextMode=0

  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > The one flaw is that the bushings and bearings fail after a few months, making for sticky
    > spinning.

    I suppose that's why many dealers are dumping 2002 Eggbeaters for $50 per set. Anyone know if this
    problem is fixed in the 2003 models (already for sale)?

  7. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > The one flaw is that the bushings and bearings fail after a few months, making for sticky
    > > spinning.
    >
    > I suppose that's why many dealers are dumping 2002 Eggbeaters for $50 per set. Anyone know if this
    > problem is fixed in the 2003 models (already for sale)?

    According to the website faq, sounds like yes.
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/faq/egg_beater.php

    I can't see any justification for buying any of the three titianium models - way too expensive to be
    cost effective.

    For me, it comes down to a choice between the Eggbeater stainless version and the Look 4 X4, both
    retailing for $140. The Look sounds like it might have better bearings
    http://www.lookcycle.com/english/catalogue/2003/pedales.htm, but has a chromoly instead of a
    stainless spindle.