Crank Brothers Mallet C vs Time Z

JTJohnson17

Jul 28, 2003
I'm looking at the Crank brothers Mallet C and the Time Z and Time Z Control pedals. Theses are going to be the first clipless pedals I've ever had. I'm looking for people that have ridden one or the other or both, and what they like and disliked about them. Thanks

Jeremy

I currently ride on Eggbeaters S. They are my first set of clipless pedals. I love them, after I got over the stopping and falling over part. I wish that I had waited for the Mallet C to come out before I bought what I did. The look like the best of both worlds to me. The Eggbeaters that I have feel great when I am clipped in, but if I need to clip out and ride on the pedal in a technical section, well it does not work, the clips roll under my foot and I either end up clipped in or falling off of the pedal. My opion, go for the Mallet C, I do not think that you will be disappointed. As for the Time Z control, I have no experience with them. Good luck.

I've got the Z Pedals. They are sweet, but they're not perfect. The platform area isn't exactly flat and offers poor traction of you're not wearing shoes with really burly tread. I'd love to give the mallets a try. They look like they'd be even better than the Times which are the awesome. No wussy superlight pedals for me :D

Originally posted by cotty
I currently ride on Eggbeaters S. They are my first set of clipless pedals. I love them, after I got over the stopping and falling over part. I wish that I had waited for the Mallet C to come out before I bought what I did. The look like the best of both worlds to me. The Eggbeaters that I have feel great when I am clipped in, but if I need to clip out and ride on the pedal in a technical section, well it does not work, the clips roll under my foot and I either end up clipped in or falling off of the pedal. My opion, go for the Mallet C, I do not think that you will be disappointed. As for the Time Z control, I have no experience with them. Good luck.

Get used to riding technical stuff clipped in. It sounds scary but allows you much more control once you get over the fear of being locked it. While semi-platform pedals sound like a the best of both worlds they truly are not. The platform is very good for very agressive riding because it protects the clip from being bashed against something or allows for quick footing in a tight spot if you need to unclip and and need quick footing before you can clip back in securely. Using the platform for tricky technical stuff does not work very well. Most cycling shoes will not have enough sole area to securely hold in place and the clipping system gets in the way which causes them to be unstable for the most part so your foot will slip off quite easily and its difficult to keep in place. You will en up trying to be clipped in all the time anyway. If you are just trying to learn to ride clipless the best option is to just go all the way with cageless pedals.

I am currently riding the Mallet C's and really have nothing to compare them to. I am new to clipless pedals and my bike is still getting used to flinging me to the ground. (I thought I was supposed to be on top of the bike rather than the bike on top of ME!) I was, however, disappointed to find that I overpaid for these pedals at a local bike shop. If you are willling to wait for them to ship, they are available @ beyondbikes.com for around $60. MSRP is $100

Be glad you didn't buy from beyond bikes. I (ironically) ordered my Time Z pedals from their web site. They sent me a pair of ATACs. Simple enough mistake, so I give them a call. The guy on the phone is a complete jerk. They did eventually get me the Z pedals, but I had to pay to ship the ATACs back across the country. Who knows, maybe my expereince is unique, but I'll never deal with them again.

I just put (three weeks ago) the Mallets on the SC and am VERY happy with their operation thus far. My last pair of clipless were shimano DX and they were horrible in the muck and mud of OR, but these Mallets are great regardless of the weather conditions. It's nice having the large platform and the versatility that comes with them. Traction is not an issue with them if you are not locked-in. You have the option of the less or more aggressive traction plates as well. Several folks ride the Time pedals at the LBS I frequent and they have good things to say. Have fun.

K.

The Mallet's rock. I've got a set of Eggbeater S's on my fixed and wanted something compatible on my MTB but also wanted the ability to ride in regular shoes.

The Mallet's have worked out great. Clipping in is easier, due to the platform being there to guide you. Big secure platform for your foot, both clipped and unclipped. No worries in the muck or snow.