Crank brothers mallet pedals?

Patrick Lamb

Guest
I'm thinking about getting a travel bike, and wondering what pedals to
put on it. I normally use Speedplay Frogs, which are wonderful, unless
you leave your shoes at home and have to pedal on them in sneakers.
Like I did last month...

It looks like the mallet pedals, with their larger platform, might be a
good way to go -- the benefits of clipless pedals; walkable shoes, I
think; some free float; and a platform in case I forget the shoes when
packing.

Anybody tried them? Are my catalog fantasy points anywhere near right?

Pat

In article <[email protected]>,
Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> writes:
> I'm thinking about getting a travel bike, and wondering what pedals to
> put on it. I normally use Speedplay Frogs, which are wonderful, unless
> you leave your shoes at home and have to pedal on them in sneakers.
> Like I did last month...
>
> It looks like the mallet pedals, with their larger platform, might be a
> good way to go -- the benefits of clipless pedals; walkable shoes, I
> think; some free float; and a platform in case I forget the shoes when
> packing.
>
> Anybody tried them? Are my catalog fantasy points anywhere near right?

If you like, you could invest $20 or so in a pair of
nondescript VP 196 flatties, and see where that
takes ya. No cleats, no clips. Just plain flatties
that do the trick pretty good for what they are.

If you really want cleated pedals that are do-able as
platforms, IMO nothing beats the old Shimano 636's.
As long as you don't mind having huge, lumpy,
fire engine red pedals on your bike. You could
smash through rotten tree stumps with 'em. 0r
crack walnuts.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

have Mallet on my MTB, and they work fine with both cleated and tennis
shoes.

They also provide an easy, secure target when you need to get on the
pedal quick, like when starting out from a somewhat technical spot on
the trail, without having to worry if your foot will slide off because
it isn't quite clipped in yet.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

On Sun, 4 May 2008 00:23:22 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> It looks like the mallet pedals, with their larger platform, might be a
>> good way to go -- the benefits of clipless pedals; walkable shoes, I
>> think; some free float; and a platform in case I forget the shoes when
>> packing.
>>
>> Anybody tried them? Are my catalog fantasy points anywhere near right?

>If you like, you could invest $20 or so in a pair of
>nondescript VP 196 flatties, and see where that
>takes ya. No cleats, no clips. Just plain flatties
>that do the trick pretty good for what they are.

Yes, except I do want clipless.

>If you really want cleated pedals that are do-able as
>platforms, IMO nothing beats the old Shimano 636's.
>As long as you don't mind having huge, lumpy,
>fire engine red pedals on your bike. You could
>smash through rotten tree stumps with 'em. 0r
>crack walnuts.

Aside from cracking walnuts, do the Shimano 636s have decent float? I
went to Frogs from SPD because I couldn't handle the "gentle"
correction.

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Sun, 4 May 2008 18:17:05 -0400, [email protected] (It's
Chris) wrote:

> have Mallet on my MTB, and they work fine with both cleated and tennis
>shoes.
>
>They also provide an easy, secure target when you need to get on the
>pedal quick, like when starting out from a somewhat technical spot on
>the trail, without having to worry if your foot will slide off because
>it isn't quite clipped in yet.

Great, thanks for the feedback. That's what I was looking for.

Pat

Email address works as is.

In article <[email protected]>,
Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sun, 4 May 2008 00:23:22 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> writes:
>>>
>>> It looks like the mallet pedals, with their larger platform, might be a
>>> good way to go -- the benefits of clipless pedals; walkable shoes, I
>>> think; some free float; and a platform in case I forget the shoes when
>>> packing.
>>>
>>> Anybody tried them? Are my catalog fantasy points anywhere near right?

>>If you like, you could invest $20 or so in a pair of
>>nondescript VP 196 flatties, and see where that
>>takes ya. No cleats, no clips. Just plain flatties
>>that do the trick pretty good for what they are.

> Yes, except I do want clipless.
>
>>If you really want cleated pedals that are do-able as
>>platforms, IMO nothing beats the old Shimano 636's.
>>As long as you don't mind having huge, lumpy,
>>fire engine red pedals on your bike. You could
>>smash through rotten tree stumps with 'em. 0r
>>crack walnuts.

> Aside from cracking walnuts, do the Shimano 636s have decent float?

Yes. At least, they /did/ when they were retaily available.

If you Googled on "Shimano 636" chances are you'd find all
kinds of lamentations & eulogies about 'em, they were so
beloved because they had the very qualities you seek and
desire.

Previously-owned pairs are still available. Maybe even
redundant, "new" inventory at some locations. If I were
to return to using cleated pedals, I'd look for a set of
636s first.

But cleated pedals that are do-able as platforms are
gonna have some mass. Boy, did 636s have mass!

> I went to Frogs from SPD because I couldn't handle the "gentle"
> correction.

I went from Time ATACs to 636s because it seemed
like a good idea at the time. I think it was.
In our densely wooded off-road trails it's good to
have some heavyweight pedal sticking out beyond the
side of your foot.

cheers,
Tom

--

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>,
> Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> writes:
>> On Sun, 4 May 2008 00:23:22 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
>> wrote:

If you like Crank Brothers pedals, you'll like mallets. Clipped
in there is no noticable difference between them and
Candies. If you use a really soft thin soled shoe w/o cleats
the "eggbeater" part is uncomfortable after a while[1], but in any typical shoe
you'd use for biking they are unnoticable.

It is possible to ride a bike w/o cleats and just the lighter Candies
and/or Smarties, it depends whether you want "emergency" or
everyday usage w/o cleats.

_ Booker C. Bense

[1]- I have them on my "errand" bike.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Booker Bense) writes:
> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> writes:

> If you like Crank Brothers pedals, you'll like mallets. Clipped
> in there is no noticable difference between them and
> Candies. If you use a really soft thin soled shoe w/o cleats
> the "eggbeater" part is uncomfortable after a while[1], but in any typical shoe
> you'd use for biking they are unnoticable.
>
> It is possible to ride a bike w/o cleats and just the lighter Candies
> and/or Smarties, it depends whether you want "emergency" or
> everyday usage w/o cleats.

Just to enhance your testamonial, there's a postive
write-up about Mallets at this site:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/news/jun13

Looking at the accompanying picture, they do appear
to be a reasonable compromise (cleats + platforms.)

They don't look very good for cracking walnuts or
pounding nails ;-) But for their intended purpose
as bicycle pedals, I'd be willing to try them.

I guess progress has been made in the quest for
clipless pedals that are also do-able as platforms.

cheers,
Tom

--

On May 6, 3:46 am, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>         [email protected] (Booker Bense) writes:
> > If you like Crank Brothers pedals, you'll like mallets. Clipped
> > in there is no noticable difference between them and
> > Candies. If you use a really soft thin soled shoe w/o cleats
> > the "eggbeater" part is uncomfortable after a while[1], but in any typical shoe
> > you'd use for biking they are unnoticable.

> > It is possible to ride a bike w/o cleats and just the lighter Candies
> > and/or Smarties, it depends whether you want "emergency" or
> > everyday usage w/o cleats.

> Just to enhance your testamonial, there's a postive
> write-up about Mallets at this site:
>        http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/news/jun13
>
> Looking at the accompanying picture, they do appear
> to be a reasonable compromise (cleats + platforms.)
>
> They don't look very good for cracking walnuts or
> pounding nails  ;-)  But for their intended purpose
> as bicycle pedals, I'd be willing to try them.

Hey Tom, you could try growing pecans. (Although I haven't had a crop
in about four years now -- six months of extreme drought following the
Easter freeze took care of last year.) I can crack them in my hand,
and then I can use pedals to, well, pedal.

:)

Pat

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
> Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> It looks like the mallet pedals, with their larger platform, might be a
>> good way to go -- the benefits of clipless pedals; walkable shoes, I
>> think; some free float; and a platform in case I forget the shoes when
>> packing.
>>
>> Anybody tried them? Are my catalog fantasy points anywhere near right?

> If you like, you could invest $20 or so in a pair of
> nondescript VP 196 flatties, and see where that
> takes ya. No cleats, no clips. Just plain flatties
> that do the trick pretty good for what they are.

Bah, I didn't evolve all this extra cash in my wallet to ride plebian
old flat pedals that *anyone* could use.

> If you really want cleated pedals that are do-able as
> platforms, IMO nothing beats the old Shimano 636's.

I do *lurve* these pedals. I picked up a used pair last time I hit
Firehouse bicycles in Philadelphia and have been commuting exclusively
on them for quite a while. I think one of my favorite things is even
when I miss clipping in or bounce out of the pedal on a bad landing/bump
I still have plenty of platform to hold on to.

> As long as you don't mind having huge, lumpy,
> fire engine red pedals on your bike. You could
> smash through rotten tree stumps with 'em. 0r
> crack walnuts.

They do seem pretty indestructable. Mine are a touch scratched up, I've
been thinking about disassembling them and repainting them.

I went and looked to see if any were on fleabay, but no luck so far.
I'll have to wait I suppose.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> writes:
>>>
>>> It looks like the mallet pedals, with their larger platform, might be a
>>> good way to go -- the benefits of clipless pedals; walkable shoes, I
>>> think; some free float; and a platform in case I forget the shoes when
>>> packing.
>>>
>>> Anybody tried them? Are my catalog fantasy points anywhere near right?

>> If you like, you could invest $20 or so in a pair of
>> nondescript VP 196 flatties, and see where that
>> takes ya. No cleats, no clips. Just plain flatties
>> that do the trick pretty good for what they are.

> Bah, I didn't evolve all this extra cash in my wallet to ride plebian
> old flat pedals that *anyone* could use.
>>
>> If you really want cleated pedals that are do-able as
>> platforms, IMO nothing beats the old Shimano 636's.

> I do *lurve* these pedals. I picked up a used pair last time I hit
> Firehouse bicycles in Philadelphia and have been commuting exclusively
> on them for quite a while. I think one of my favorite things is even
> when I miss clipping in or bounce out of the pedal on a bad landing/bump
> I still have plenty of platform to hold on to.

After some consideration, I think Patrick's onto something
with these Mallet Cs. Especially if the cages are wide enough.

While I still harbour a fondness for 636s (largely because of
their width,) I'm earnestly prepared to admit they're overkill
for infra-urban riding.

And the Mallets seem to have more grippily textured cages
than the slippery smooth metal surfaces of 636s. Of course
that texture might mean the cleat receivers of Mallets would
have to be substantially raised by spings, and I wonder if/how
that affects foot comfort in the long run (long ride?) in
softer-soled shoes, while using the pedals as flatties.

I guess with hard shoe soles, having things trying to prod
the soles of yer feet shouldn't be too much of a problem.

But with softer soled shoes, I wouldn't be surprised if it
became an issue. I guess that's the gist of what Patrick is
inquiring about. I wish I had a solid answer for him.

I can attest that 636s are very lenient toward softer soled shoes.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> I do *lurve* these pedals. I picked up a used pair last time I hit
>> Firehouse bicycles in Philadelphia and have been commuting exclusively
>> on them for quite a while. I think one of my favorite things is even
>> when I miss clipping in or bounce out of the pedal on a bad landing/bump
>> I still have plenty of platform to hold on to.

> After some consideration, I think Patrick's onto something
> with these Mallet Cs. Especially if the cages are wide enough.
>
> While I still harbour a fondness for 636s (largely because of
> their width,) I'm earnestly prepared to admit they're overkill
> for infra-urban riding.

Pshaw, t'aint no such thing as overkill. In fact this conversation has
made me start looking for some for sale. That or the 646s, which seem
similar enough to be worth buying. Plus, if I have more than one pair I
can take the time to sand and repaint the cages on them.

I'll have to see what color frame I get back from the shop before I
paint them though. I wouldn't want them not to match.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"If you attack stupidity you attack an entrenched interest

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>,
>
>And the Mallets seem to have more grippily textured cages
>than the slippery smooth metal surfaces of 636s. Of course
>that texture might mean the cleat receivers of Mallets would
>have to be substantially raised by spings, and I wonder if/how
>that affects foot comfort in the long run (long ride?) in
>softer-soled shoes, while using the pedals as flatties.
>
>I guess with hard shoe soles, having things trying to prod
>the soles of yer feet shouldn't be too much of a problem.
>
>But with softer soled shoes, I wouldn't be surprised if it
>became an issue. I guess that's the gist of what Patrick is
>inquiring about. I wish I had a solid answer for him.

I have Mallets and it's definitely an issue if the shoes
are soft and thin. (ie. typical casual shoes you might
wear at work). Anything with a sufficiently lugged
sole is fine (ie. trail running shoe). I can't imagine
doing a long ride on the kind of shoes that would be a
problem though.

_ Booker C. Bense