Crank Brothers?

RedRider2009

Nov 24, 2007
Hi, I have never used any type of clip in pedals before, I have been looking around online and the Crank Brothers pedals seem to be nice with the 4-way entry business, are they good? I have mostly been looking at the Quattro SL, Candy C, and Eggbeater C. Do you have any suggestions? I am also noticing that there is another type of eggbeaters and candy with "SL" rather than "C", what does that mean?

RedRider2009 said:
Hi, I have never used any type of clip in pedals before, I have been looking around online and the Crank Brothers pedals seem to be nice with the 4-way entry business, are they good? I have mostly been looking at the Quattro SL, Candy C, and Eggbeater C. Do you have any suggestions? I am also noticing that there is another type of eggbeaters and candy with "SL" rather than "C", what does that mean?
The C is for chromoly and the SL model is stainless steel. I have Candy C's on my MTB and Eggbeaters (C) on my cross bike. Nice design for for mud and snow, and a simple and easy design. I'm strongly considering going full crank bros on all my bikes (two road bikes currently speedplay).

What are advantages of stainless steel vs chromoly? No Rust? I would be using them for road biking...thanks

PeterF said:
I'm strongly considering going full crank bros on all my bikes (two road bikes currently speedplay).

I did this last year. I was going to run eggbeaters on my mtb's and quattros on my road bikes. I got a set of the quattros and found I didn't really use the platform anyway, and more importantly found limiting a 4 sided entry mechanism to 2 sided entry wasn't ideal. So I just put eggbeaters across all my bikes (mtb+road), and are using the quattros on my track bike.

I'm very happy with the choice, and have no regrets at all, in fact it's been all positives with the exception of limited supply of cleats and cleat accessories in Australia.

--brett

RedRider2009 said:
What are advantages of stainless steel vs chromoly? No Rust? I would be using them for road biking...thanks

Our team is sponsored by Crank Bros and most our MTB and cross riders run Egg Beaters (normal and SL) as wel as the Candys. Likewise the Quattro's rock as a road pedal and are very sprintable. You dont' have to replace the cleats as often as you must with Times. We love them.

I have Eggbeater SL on my cross bike which I use on both asphalt and dirt roads. They are easy to maintain and IMHO have adequate float and predictable disengagement. A rebuild kit for $15 gets you bearings and seals for both pedals. Mine have 4300 miles on them and I haven't had to rebuild yet.

One suggestion about Eggbeaters... because the area of shoe/pedal contact is so small, make sure you get shoes with very rigid soles. You don't want to feel any sag, especially when you get out of the saddle to sprint or climb.

Thanks for all of these responses! Why would I choose the SL over C is it weight difference? Would they all last a reasonable time? Are the Quattro pedals made of plastic? Thanks Again!

RedRider2009 said:
Thanks for all of these responses! Why would I choose the SL over C is it weight difference? Would they all last a reasonable time? Are the Quattro pedals made of plastic? Thanks Again!
Weight, durability and rust resistance. Yes, the platform is plastic but adequately strengthened by metal covering on two sides. I am not be concerned of its plastic use in terms of durability.

To the OP - IMHO the Eggbeaters are the best allround type of clipless pedal if you want to use MTB shoes. But I would say - don't rule out road pedals and road shoes if you're only riding on the road, and you're not worried about using the same pedal systems across road and MTB's for example.

Sure, road shoes are not so great to walk in - but how often or how far do you really walk in any type of clipless shoes? I switched to Time RXS a while back, even for commuting, and I wouldn't go back to MTB pedals. But if I had to, I would go back to Eggbeaters.

scirocco said:
Sure, road shoes are not so great to walk in - but how often or how far do you really walk in any type of clipless shoes? I switched to Time RXS a while back, even for commuting, and I wouldn't go back to MTB pedals. But if I had to, I would go back to Eggbeaters.
Sidi had to make a special model of their Ergo 2 road shoes recently just so that their star user Bettini can safely walk on the podium. They obviously don't want Bettini walking on stage with a pair of Nike jogger. ;)