Crank/ chain stay clearance issues

maxpsi

Jun 26, 2004
Hi grouppe-

I’m a somewhat recently new road cyclist who has learned a lot from browsing the forums…Thanks. I recently purchased a used 2003 Cannondale R600 that has had its drivetrain upgraded to Dura-Ace 7700?…I think.

I bought a Cateye computer that has wireless speed and cadence. The unit has an “arm” for sensing speed and another one for sensing cadence. My problem is that when I mount the unit I do not have enough clearance between the outside of the chain stay (where the cadence transmitter mounts), and the inside of the left crank arm. I also need to attach the magnet to the crank arm which will make the clearance issue even worse. The clearance between the crank arm and the chain stay is about the width of a dime without anything mounted. Is this amount of clearance normal? There is a lot more space for the right side crank arm. I’m also having front derailleur issues as well. I have a triple. When shifting from the top chain ring it will only go to the smallest ring and not the middle. When shifting up, it works fine.

Is it possible that I could have an incorrect or misaligned bottom bracket causing these clearance and shifting problems?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Steve

maxpsi said:
Hi grouppe-

I’m a somewhat recently new road cyclist who has learned a lot from browsing the forums…Thanks. I recently purchased a used 2003 Cannondale R600 that has had its drivetrain upgraded to Dura-Ace 7700?…I think.

I bought a Cateye computer that has wireless speed and cadence. The unit has an “arm” for sensing speed and another one for sensing cadence. My problem is that when I mount the unit I do not have enough clearance between the outside of the chain stay (where the cadence transmitter mounts), and the inside of the left crank arm. I also need to attach the magnet to the crank arm which will make the clearance issue even worse. The clearance between the crank arm and the chain stay is about the width of a dime without anything mounted. Is this amount of clearance normal? There is a lot more space for the right side crank arm. I’m also having front derailleur issues as well. I have a triple. When shifting from the top chain ring it will only go to the smallest ring and not the middle. When shifting up, it works fine.

Is it possible that I could have an incorrect or misaligned bottom bracket causing these clearance and shifting problems?

Steve
Assuming correct parts,chanstay clearance is variable,and the shifting issues are most likely derailer adjustment.

maxpsi said:
Hi grouppe-

Steve

Can't you move the sensor and magnet closer to the bottom bracket where most chainstays are closer to the center-line of the bicycle.

Most current Shimano Octalink Bottom Brackets give you a fixed chainline.
It sounds like front derailer position and angle need some help.
See Park Tools Repair section and/or visit Sheldon Brown's site... specific URL for this one:

<http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html>

As another poster mentioned, if correct parts were used, small adjustments should care for it.

maxpsi said:
Hi grouppe-

The clearance between the crank arm and the chain stay is about the width of a dime without anything mounted. Is this amount of clearance normal? There is a lot more space for the right side crank arm.
Steve

Um, try mounting the sensor and magnet on the right side...
Yes, the left side clearance is usually very tight.

TD

tyler_derden said:
Um, try mounting the sensor and magnet on the right side...
Yes, the left side clearance is usually very tight.

Can't mount on drivetrain side, transmitter hits chain.

maxpsi said:
Hi grouppe-

Steve

Which model Cateye?
Is it the CD300DW? (or the CC-TR100?)
If it is, it appears that you need to choose a single mounting location for the wireless sensor N because it includes both speed O and cadence sensor arms in one unit P .
It could be that the larger diameter chain stays won't alloy you to choose such a position.
I am referring to an instruction for the CD300DW at URL:

<http://www.cateye.com/en/pdfs/CD300DW.pdf>

I would push it forward as much as the speed sensor arm and speed magnet spoke mount will allow. If you still can't get clearance you will need to find another solution.

Many wired units are smaller and simpler in design. Wired units also have independent pickups and totally independent mounting for speed and cadance sensors. Yes, I know there are wires, but they can be secured with many different methods to be strong, safe, and out of the way. They also don't receive any interference or require additional batteries.

Cateye's support is usually good:
North America
CatEye USA
1705 14th st #115
Boulder, Colorado, USA 80302
Phone: 303-443-4595
Toll Free: 800-5-CatEye
Fax: 303-473-0006
Email: [email protected]

Dave-

It's model CD300DW. And you are correct, one mounting point for the sensor which includes both the speed arm and the cadance arm. The sensor is bulky and the fit is tight. I will try to mount it as far forward as possible on the chain stay. Again, your correct in that if I move it too far forward, the speed arm might not line up with the spoke magnet. I hesitated to go too much forward because of the inner indentations of the chain stay and the increased width of the stay make for diffcult mounting, but It might be my only option.

Thanks for your help.

Which model Cateye?
Is it the CD300DW? (or the CC-TR100?)
If it is, it appears that you need to choose a single mounting location for the wireless sensor N because it includes both speed O and cadence sensor arms in one unit P .
It could be that the larger diameter chain stays won't alloy you to choose such a position.
I am referring to an instruction for the CD300DW at URL:

<http://www.cateye.com/en/pdfs/CD300DW.pdf>

I would push it forward as much as the speed sensor arm and speed magnet spoke mount will allow. If you still can't get clearance you will need to find another solution.

Many wired units are smaller and simpler in design. Wired units also have independent pickups and totally independent mounting for speed and cadance sensors. Yes, I know there are wires, but they can be secured with many different methods to be strong, safe, and out of the way. They also don't receive any interference or require additional batteries.

Cateye's support is usually good:
North America
CatEye USA
1705 14th st #115
Boulder, Colorado, USA 80302
Phone: 303-443-4595
Toll Free: 800-5-CatEye
Fax: 303-473-0006
Email: [email protected][/QUOTE]

maxpsi said:
Hi grouppe-

Steve
maye your bottom bracket is to short, like you said the cranks have been upgraded but, maybe they didn't upgrade the correct bb