Crank creak, grease bottom bracket spindle

I'm getting a creak from my left crank arm, tried tightening the bolt
without much luck (it stopped for 2 minutes). I pulled the crank arm
planning to clean it up and grease the bolt prior to retightening.
It's been so long that I can't recall: anything I shouldn't grease,
like the BB spindle?

It's a generic cartridge BB in a circa 1988 Bridgestone MB-3 frame. I
don't have the splined tool to remove the BB (unless it's the same as a
splined cassette wrench), so if this doesn't work, I may take it to the
shop.
mx

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm getting a creak from my left crank arm, tried tightening the bolt
> without much luck (it stopped for 2 minutes). I pulled the crank arm
> planning to clean it up and grease the bolt prior to retightening.
> It's been so long that I can't recall: anything I shouldn't grease,
> like the BB spindle?
>
> It's a generic cartridge BB in a circa 1988 Bridgestone MB-3 frame. I
> don't have the splined tool to remove the BB (unless it's the same as a
> splined cassette wrench), so if this doesn't work, I may take it to the
> shop.
> mx

Shimano say never to grease the taper of the spindle, TA say always to
grease it (I don't know what the Campag view is). Make of this what you
will - I've greased mine with anti-seize since I had a crank seize
firmly onto a spindle.

Shimano Octalink spindles are always greased.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Shimano say never to grease the taper of the spindle, TA say always to
> grease it (I don't know what the Campag view is).

Sgrassare e pulire accuratamente il quadro del perno ed il foro quadro
delle pedivelle per garantire uno stabile accoppiamento

;)
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm getting a creak from my left crank arm, tried tightening the bolt
> without much luck (it stopped for 2 minutes). I pulled the crank arm
> planning to clean it up and grease the bolt prior to retightening.
> It's been so long that I can't recall: anything I shouldn't grease,
> like the BB spindle?
>
> It's a generic cartridge BB in a circa 1988 Bridgestone MB-3 frame. I
> don't have the splined tool to remove the BB (unless it's the same as a
> splined cassette wrench), so if this doesn't work, I may take it to the
> shop.
> mx

Most likely is the cups in the BB are making the noise. Few shops
realize you can take the right cup off early shimano cart BBs. Do this,
grease insdie both cups, inside the BB shell and tighten, tight. I
personally don't grease crank spindles on square taper, never have for
over 20 years, have never had a crank fall off, have never seen that
grease on to a spindle eliminates any otherwise unsolvable BB creaks.
Torque to about 30 ft-lbs.

"M-gineering" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
>> Shimano say never to grease the taper of the spindle, TA say always to
>> grease it (I don't know what the Campag view is).

> Sgrassare e pulire accuratamente il quadro del perno ed il foro quadro
> delle pedivelle per garantire uno stabile accoppiamento
>
> ;)
> --
> ---
> Marten Gerritsen
>
> INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
> www.m-gineering.nl\\

sa;liafhopiw qoirhc poiwuery mope8y cnp91whuc as';loru b [sapoif'
qwpoidj p[oy aspoih

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm getting a creak from my left crank arm, tried tightening the bolt
> without much luck (it stopped for 2 minutes). I pulled the crank arm
> planning to clean it up and grease the bolt prior to retightening.
> It's been so long that I can't recall: anything I shouldn't grease,
> like the BB spindle?
>
> It's a generic cartridge BB in a circa 1988 Bridgestone MB-3 frame. I
> don't have the splined tool to remove the BB (unless it's the same as a
> splined cassette wrench), so if this doesn't work, I may take it to the
> shop.
> mx

In addition to the other advice you've received, check the chain ring
bolts.

On Fri, 05 May 2006 12:44:15 +0200, M-gineering
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
>> Shimano say never to grease the taper of the spindle, TA say always to
>> grease it (I don't know what the Campag view is).

>Sgrassare e pulire accuratamente il quadro del perno ed il foro quadro
>delle pedivelle per garantire uno stabile accoppiamento
>
>;)

Dear Don Corleone,

Roughly, a caption that exhorts us to degrease and clean up
the crank to guarantee a stable connection.

S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
A persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
Questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma perciocche giammai di questo fondo
Non torno vivo alcun, s'i'odo il vero,
Senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Guido

Someone writes:

> I'm getting a creak from my left crank arm, tried tightening the
> bolt without much luck (it stopped for 2 minutes). I pulled the
> crank arm planning to clean it up and grease the bolt prior to
> retightening. It's been so long that I can't recall: anything I
> shouldn't grease, like the BB spindle?

> It's a generic cartridge BB in a circa 1988 Bridgestone MB-3 frame.
> I don't have the splined tool to remove the BB (unless it's the same
> as a splined cassette wrench), so if this doesn't work, I may take
> it to the shop.

Most such mysterious creaking sounds that show no relation to crank
attachment, as you describe, are made by the shoe-pedal interface. To
rule that out, put some grease or oil on the sole of the shoe where it
contacts the pedal. That gets rid of a lot of speculation.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] ha scritto:

> On Fri, 05 May 2006 12:44:15 +0200, M-gineering
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> >
> >> Shimano say never to grease the taper of the spindle, TA say always to
> >> grease it (I don't know what the Campag view is).

> >Sgrassare e pulire accuratamente il quadro del perno ed il foro quadro
> >delle pedivelle per garantire uno stabile accoppiamento
> >
> >;)

> Dear Don Corleone,
>
> Roughly, a caption that exhorts us to degrease and clean up
> the crank to guarantee a stable connection.
>
> S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
> A persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
> Questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
> Ma perciocche giammai di questo fondo
> Non torno vivo alcun, s'i'odo il vero,
> Senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.
>
> Guido

But... ROTFL!!! Altho I doubt there are many people here that can read
a 700ish-yr old "Italian" poem. It would be hard for an Italian as well
(I had to read twice to understand).
Ciao
Luca

On Sat, 06 May 2006 01:53:16 +0000, jobst.brandt wrote:

> Someone writes:
>
>> I'm getting a creak from my left crank arm, tried tightening the
>> bolt without much luck (it stopped for 2 minutes). I pulled the
>> crank arm planning to clean it up and grease the bolt prior to
>> retightening. It's been so long that I can't recall: anything I
>> shouldn't grease, like the BB spindle?

>> It's a generic cartridge BB in a circa 1988 Bridgestone MB-3 frame.
>> I don't have the splined tool to remove the BB (unless it's the same
>> as a splined cassette wrench), so if this doesn't work, I may take
>> it to the shop.

> Most such mysterious creaking sounds that show no relation to crank
> attachment, as you describe, are made by the shoe-pedal interface. To
> rule that out, put some grease or oil on the sole of the shoe where it
> contacts the pedal. That gets rid of a lot of speculation.

Saddle rails are another common source of such creaks. All of these
creaks can resonate through the frame tubes, so they sound like
they're from the frame/BB.

Matt O.

On 6 May 2006 01:15:00 -0700, "Luca Magnoni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] ha scritto:
>
>> On Fri, 05 May 2006 12:44:15 +0200, M-gineering
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Sgrassare e pulire accuratamente il quadro del perno ed il foro quadro
>> >delle pedivelle per garantire uno stabile accoppiamento
>> >
>> >;)

>> Dear Don Corleone,
>>
>> Roughly, a caption that exhorts us to degrease and clean up
>> the crank to guarantee a stable connection.
>>
>> S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
>> A persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
>> Questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
>> Ma perciocche giammai di questo fondo
>> Non torno vivo alcun, s'i'odo il vero,
>> Senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.
>>
>> Guido

>But... ROTFL!!! Altho I doubt there are many people here that can read
>a 700ish-yr old "Italian" poem. It would be hard for an Italian as well
>(I had to read twice to understand).
>Ciao
>Luca

Dear Luca,

Well, the passage is more familiar on an English newsgroup
than an Italian might expect.

Its real claim to fame in the barbarian world (where rhymes
are difficult) is that Eliot used it even more appropriately
as his epigraph for Prufrock.

And it did seem appropriate for a reply--few escape after
descending into RBT, where . . .

Io venni in loco d'ogne luce muto,
che mugghia come fa mar per tempesta,
se da contrari venti è combattuto.

La bufera infernal, che mai non resta,
mena li spirti con la sua rapina;
voltando e percotendo li molesta.

Quando giungon davanti a la ruina,
quivi le strida, il compianto, il lamento;
bestemmian quivi la virtù divina.

I came to a place where light was absent,
A place which bellowed like a stormy sea when
Clashing winds whip it into torment.

The infernal hurricane, which can never slacken,
Drives the spirits with its violence;
Whirling and lashing, it leaves them beaten.

Swept back before their place of sentence,
The spirits shriek, moan, lament, and
Curse the divine power with vehemence.

The curious may discover further descriptions of the
newsgroup in both English and Italian at sites like this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~zimls/HELLV.html#28

Click on the "inferno v" links at the side to toggle back
and forth.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel