Crank Help

instinct2

Apr 7, 2005
Ok to start it off here is my bike and it's component list http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9634&bikeTab=techspec I'm wanting to change my 3 ring crankset to a lighter and higer end 2 ring set. I have looked at the Durace and Campagnolo Record CT or Carbon. I'm wondering several things.

1) Will my front and rear derailleurs work with the change?
2) Which would you go with Durace or Camp. record or carbon?
3) I'm 5'10 - 178 lbs what length of crank will I need 170, 172.5, 175?
4) Should I get a better cassettes to go with the front?
5) What chainring size would you go with 39x53 or 34x50
6) Anything else I'm forgeting

Thanks

If your front derailleur is properly adjusted, it should work just fine with the double crankset (I am pretty sure). The choices are up to you as to what you buy. A compact crankset (50x34) is great if climbing and hills are not your strong point, and if you need a lower range of gears to help you keep spinning. If you don't need that, or if you plan to ride very fast group rides or races, then you may be better off with a standar (53x39 crankset). As for crankarm length, your best bet is to either be fit properly and see what size is suggested, or stick with the same size you currently have. Crankarm length depends on a lot more than your height. Changing your cassette may be a good idea depending on how old/worn it is, and the same goes for the chain--if these items are older and you don't replace them, you may wear out the new chainrings faster than you would if everything was new and changed at the same time. Hope this helps.