Crank issues

Dave Pace

Aug 3, 2012
Ok so here is the deal. I have had my bike in 3 times now for crank issues. Each and every time the bearings keeps going and then I will get play in the pedals to the point where the chain will start rubbing the front derailleur. The last time I took it to a different repair shop just thinking it may have been the shop causing the issues, but nope same issue.

So to this point they have already "Upgraded" the bearings from a single to a double. Tightened the nuts. I am now down to get a new crank thinking that that is where the issue it. Now this is a "mountain Bike" but I use to road ride with road slicks. So since I was not able to get my true road bike yet should I just go ahead and get the 105 group set that I was going to get for the road bike and put it on this bike while I am still waiting to get my road bike? Will this fit?

Currently I have a Shimano Tourney TX Rear derailleur
http://www.allez-bid.com/store/Rear_Derailleurs%20/Shimano_Tourney_Rear_Derailleur_RD_TX35_7_speeds

And for the front crank I have the Shimano sr suntour
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/crankset/sr-suntour/xcc/prd_415404_115crx.aspx

Thoughts?

Sakae Ringyo (SR) Suntour is not shimaNO...two separate entities.

Your inexpensive Suntour crankset appears to be a crappy one, with overwhelmingly horrible reviews. The bottom bracket is probably similarly crappy and prone to bearing failure. If two bicycle shops can not install/adjust it to last more than a few hours of service life you are smart to ditch it. Soft alloy arms. Flexible. Stripped pedal threards. Soft chainrings that wear quickly. Poor bearing life. Yeah, it's all that and more according to the unfortunate users.

Without trialing it, there's no way I could tell you if the 105 road double/triple crankset would fit your mountain bike...assuming the new/correct BB could be fitted. A similar chainring combination 'should' work, but Alfeng will probably have more information on the fit up.

The long cage 105 RD will throw 39 teeth with a 28T max cassette gear size.

It might be advisable to just upgrade your current bike's crankset and keep saving for the road bike rather than try and fit a road group onto a mountain bike. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Sakae Ringyo (SR) Suntour is not shimaNO...two separate entities.

Your inexpensive Suntour crankset appears to be a crappy one, with overwhelmingly horrible reviews. The bottom bracket is probably similarly crappy and prone to bearing failure. If two bicycle shops can not install/adjust it to last more than a few hours of service life you are smart to ditch it. Soft alloy arms. Flexible. Stripped pedal threards. Soft chainrings that wear quickly. Poor bearing life. Yeah, it's all that and more according to the unfortunate users.

Without trialing it, there's no way I could tell you if the 105 road double/triple crankset would fit your mountain bike...assuming the new/correct BB could be fitted. A similar chainring combination 'should' work, but Alfeng will probably have more information on the fit up.

The long cage 105 RD will throw 39 teeth with a 28T max cassette gear size.

It might be advisable to just upgrade your current bike's crankset and keep saving for the road bike rather than try and fit a road group onto a mountain bike. Just my opinion.
Well the reason for the 105 groupset is due to the current group set on the road bike that I am getting is only the 8 speed 2800 Shimano. I was just going to go ahead and upgrade that to the 105.