Crank length for 29rs.

nevadadave

Nov 8, 2012
On the topic of crank length. I'm 5'7 inseam of 30 ish I've been riding 175 on my 26 inch for years. I'm going 29r soon. I always thought shorter quicker turnover cranks would be better for steep technical climbs. From reading these posts, I suppose I've had a misconception in my head.

Any suggestions for my choice in crank length for my 29r? Save some money and just use my current cranks? Any insight is appreciated.

FWIW. While a 29er's wheels-and-tires are definitely heavier than 26er wheels-and-tires, I would anticipate using a lower gear ratio rather than opting for longer crankarms for more leverage OR shorter cranks to achieve a modestly higher cadence ...

• ... the difference in the circumference which your pedal traces is much less than you probably would think when you go to a shorter-or-longer crank arm ...
  • BUT, a difference in crankarm length might affect the pressure on your joints for the better-or-worse if your saddle is not oriented optimally ...

Which is a long way of saying that if-I-were-you then 'I' would continue to use 175mm cranks on your 29er ... particularly since 180mm cranks ([COLOR= #808080]I don't think 177.5mm cranks are readily available, now[/COLOR]) will cost you a premium if only because ([COLOR= #0000ff]AFAIK[/COLOR]) you will need to step up to XT-or-XTR cranks instead of SLX/LX/etc. cranks ([COLOR= #808080]which are readily available with 175mm crankarms[/COLOR]).