crank loose ... help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John King, Feb 8, 2003.

  1. John King

    John King Guest

    Hi !

    I have a bike with Campy Record cranks. The bike has started to make a metallic click when I hit the
    3 o'clock position with the right crank. I felt to see if the bottom braket might be loosening. But
    it seems ok.

    Might it be a loosening right crank? And if so is it just a matter of using an allen wrench on the
    hex area that is visible when looking at the right crank?

    Thanks for help... I am hoping to ride today and don't want to ride without fixing the problem.

    John

    --
    http://kingjohn.freeshell.org [email protected] SDF Public Access UNIX System -
    http://sdf.lonestar.org

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    John King writes:

    > I have a bike with Campy Record cranks. The bike has started to make a metallic click when I hit
    > the 3 o'clock position with the right crank. I felt to see if the bottom braket might be
    > loosening. But it seems ok.

    > Might it be a loosening right crank? And if so is it just a matter of using an allen wrench on the
    > hex area that is visible when looking at the right crank?

    From your description it is unclear what you are observing but bearing adjustment and loose crank
    should be easily separable, assuming it is only one of these. If you grasp a one of the cranks at
    the pedal end and try to wiggle it in and out, the you should feel a bit of play and the opposite
    crank should move likewise if it is a loose crank bearing. If one crank can be moved in and out
    while holding the other crank, it is definitely a loose crank, but by the time it is that loose the
    crank is most likely damaged beyond repair.

    There's more at:

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

  3. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "John King" wrote:

    > I have a bike with Campy Record cranks. The bike has started to make a metallic click when I hit
    > the 3 o'clock position with the right crank. I felt to see if the bottom braket might be
    > loosening. But it seems ok.
    >
    > Might it be a loosening right crank? And if so is it just a matter of using an allen wrench on the
    > hex area that is visible when looking at the right crank?

    Have you tried putting the bike in a stand, or just suspending it by hooks or ropes? If you only
    hear the sound while riding, it could be anything from a bad saddle to a noisy pedal. The first
    thing you have to do is isolate the source.

    Try disengaging the chain from the chainrings. Turn the cranks and check for clicks or
    roughness. With the chain disengaged, the cranks should turn very smooth and quiet, and there
    should be no play.

    > I am hoping to ride today and don't want to ride without fixing the problem.

    Don't ride if you suspect a loose crank! If it isn't ruined already, it soon will be.

    Art Harris

  4. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    > John King writes:
    >
    > > I have a bike with Campy Record cranks. The bike has started to make a metallic click when I hit
    > > the 3 o'clock position with the right crank. I felt to see if the bottom braket might be
    > > loosening. But it seems ok.
    >
    > > Might it be a loosening right crank? And if so is it just a matter of using an allen wrench on
    > > the hex area that is visible when looking at the right crank?
    >
    > From your description it is unclear what you are observing but bearing adjustment and loose crank
    > should be easily separable, assuming it is only one of these. If you grasp a one of the cranks at
    > the pedal end and try to wiggle it in and out, the you should feel a bit of play and the opposite
    > crank should move likewise if it is a loose crank bearing. If one crank can be moved in and out
    > while holding the other crank, it is definitely a loose crank, but by the time it is that loose
    > the crank is most likely damaged beyond repair.
    >
    > There's more at:
    >
    > http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

    I suggest you also check your Chain ring bolts, pedal and cleat. If you have a new cleat, now may be
    a good time to replace it.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  5. Wayne-<< I had heard that it was a better made frame and that you had the added flexibility of
    getting it customed made.

    I think you heard either wrong or heard what you wanted to hear or the guy was trying to sell ya
    something. Really tough to get a 'poor' ti frameset these days. All are made well, all can give a
    great ride(if fit properly) from a less than $1000 Habanero to a $3000 Serotta+, Seven, e or
    Litespeed.

    I would say some of the best welds are from Moots...also a great ti framesets for about $2000.

  6. John-<< I have a bike with Campy Record cranks. The bike has started to make a metallic click when I
    hit the 3 o'clock position with the right crank.

    << Might it be a loosening right crank?

    Unlikely-

    << And if so is it just a matter of using an allen wrench on the hex area that is visible when
    looking at the right crank?

    Don't just arbitrarily tighten crank bolts!! Good way to kill the crank.

    Ensure it installed correctly, to manufacturers spec, including a dry spindle. The ticking could be
    many things like Chainring bolts, pedals, BB installation, but seldom a loose crank arm.

  7. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > Don't just arbitrarily tighten crank bolts!! Good way to kill the crank.
    >
    > Ensure it installed correctly, to manufacturers spec, including a dry spindle.

    And don't forget to throw salt over your shoulder before tightening, otherwise the dry spindle mojo
    won't take.

  8. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:21:37 GMT, "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have you tried putting the bike in a stand, or just suspending it by hooks or ropes? If you only
    >hear the sound while riding, it could be anything from a bad saddle to a noisy pedal. The first
    >thing you have to do is isolate the source.

    Isolating the source of a once-per-crank-revolution noise can be frustrating in the extreme. I once
    chased one for a couple of weeks, then while riding my saddle suddenly tipped back. I repositioned
    and tightened it and voila, the noise was gone.

    Good luck!