Crank noise

MarkC77

Sep 23, 2005
Hi guys, it seems like there is a crank noise on my bike that appears when on certain gears. Hard to descibe but when I put a fair amount of force it makes the noise, when I am a bit more gentle it is quiet. Any ideas? I'll probably take it to my LBS but was just interested to here your thoughts.

With the advent of cartridge bottom brackets (BB), noises are appearing more often than they did "back in the good old days" (said in a shaky voice of course). Most often it is caused by a SLIGHT loosening of one of the cups of the BB. Get someone (or yourself) to tighten both cups then try again.

For a creak in phase with the pedalling cycle, and given the lack of qualifying information, the likely culprits, in order of likelihood, are the seat clamp, the pedals/cleats, a chainring bolt, the bottom bracket and finally the crank/axle connection.
More information?

I also had a noise that appeared to be coming from the bottom bracket/ crank area . One day a friend riding beside me said it sounded like it was coming from the seat we swapped seats, and the noise was gone. You should check it out before heading down to your LBS.