Crank noise?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by beckham21, Jun 28, 2004.

1. beckham21

beckham21 New Member

Ok...so I've had the road bike for a little less than a week, but the day after I purchased it..It started to make this noise... it is getting slowly louder and feels a little worse..The problem is and I don't even know if it is a problem, but when I start putting pressure on the pedal and going faster and faster the crank starts making a kind click noise and you can hear it fairly good...anybody know whats up and if you need more info just ask...I have a free tune up at my bike shop, but I'd rather use it for a more serious problem unless you guys think this is one..thanks

Tags:

2. keydates

keydates New Member

Bottom bracket might be wearing out. Although, it shouldn't since you practically just bought it. Or it could be that one of your crankarms is loose/tight.

3. beckham21

beckham21 New Member

So since I'm new to road cycling and all ...how would you go about tightening the crank arm?

4. keydates

keydates New Member

You should first see if that is the problem. Hold one arm still and try to move the other. Then switch. If one arm moves, but the other doesn't (as much), it needs to be tightented. If both move about the same amount, your bottom bracket needs to be adjusted.

To adjust the crankarms on standard bikes these days, all you need is a torque wrench. The crank bolt is at the center of the chainrings on the right side, and the same place on the left.

5. zperrys

zperrys New Member

See if the crank arms are loose like keydates says. If that's not it, then take it to the bike shop where you bought it. Maybe the mechanic who assembled the bike forgot to lube the bottom bracket completely? Maybe some other thing needs adjusting?

Sounds like it's nothing you've done, and it shouldn't be a fatigue problem in the bottom bracket (or anywhere else), so they'll probably adjust it for free (since it's likely their mistake). Just be cool about it when you take it in, and they'll likely be cool too. It happens. You just want it fixed, right?

Good luck!

6. Steerpike

Steerpike New Member

Take it back to the store and tell them to fix it.

7. xxguitarist

xxguitarist New Member

i've fixed something that sounds to be a similar problem by lubing up the cranks axle type area... just try to get some lightweight grease in around the o rings & such

8. concord

concord Member

I would tend to agree with everyone else that it's a carnk arm or the bottom bracket, but two weeks ago my wife was complaining about a noise like you discribed. So I took the crank arm off and cahin ring and adjusted the bottom bracket. It still made the noise. I than checked the pedals and the left one was just so slightly loose but enought to be the culprit. Once tighten she went for a short ride and bingo no more noise. So be sure to check the pedals. Good luck.

9. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I've also had noises caused by loose chainring bolts.

10. sdorrity

sdorrity New Member

First of all make sure it IS the crank. I had a strange creak coming from between my legs (always a worry!) and had the LBS strip and grease the BB then crank, then later take the whole lot apart and do it again.

Then riding along with a mate he noticed that it wasn't coming from the BB but higher up. It turned out to be coming from the seat post, took it out and cleaned it then a squirt of WD40 down the seat tube, hey presto - silence!

Next time I went into the LBS they asked if the last strip down and clean/grease of the BB had done the job. I replied that it had, and thanked them for all their hard (free) work, I hadn't the heart to tell them the truth.

Regards

Steve D

11. beckham21

beckham21 New Member

I sprayed some stuff like WD-40 down the tube and it worked apparently...thanks for your help guys...thank you

12. concord

concord Member

Any time.:cool: