Crank or BB?

Onk

Aug 4, 2004
My bike has been creaking sounds whenever i pedal. It is coming from either the crank or the BB. I am not sure what the problem is, so i was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this.

Onk said:
My bike has been creaking sounds whenever i pedal. It is coming from either the crank or the BB. I am not sure what the problem is, so i was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this.

My LBS tightened up the crank and when that didn't end the little creak, it was determined that it was the bottom bracket creaking. So then they tore open the bottom bracket and regreased it etc.

Creaks can be hard to diagnose.

If you are certain the noise is comming from your bottom bracket, crank area let's start there. Take your crank arms off and take out your bottom bracket. Grease the hell out of the inside of bottom bracket shell on your frame. Grease the inside and outside of the bottom bracket cup threads and where the cartridge shell sits in the cups. Reassemble the bottom bracket, making sure the cups are installed with the correct torque.

Take off your chain rings, apply a slight smear of grease where the chain rings connect to the crank arm. Grease the threads of the chain ring bolts and reassemble.

Make sure your bottom bracket axle is free of grease before you put your crank arms back on, then grease the threads of your crank arm bolts and install.

If these steps do not solve the creak, it might be your bottom bracket bearings are starting to wear. If it is not this it could be a multitude of other things. Pedals, SPD cleats, spokes, cassette, chain, saddle rails, suspension pivots could concievably creak when you pedal.

Cheers,
Juba