Crank or chainring replacement / servicing 1993 rapidfire shifters / Cable Q?

Mike Beauchamp

Guest
The short version (after summarizing the long version):

1. Chainrings need replacing: Should I replace the worn rings (really just
the middle), or should I spring for a new crank to replace the 1993 LX one?
Reason being that new ones are cheaper than the rings alone (eg. TruVativ
FireX SX ATB Crankset @ nashbar) and they're new and fancy looking. Or maybe
I should spring even more cash and get an ISIS crank/bb?

2. My rapidfire shifters are working great still, but since they're 11 years
old, I was wondering if I should take them apart and clean and regrease
them. Anyone know of a guide on how to do this?

3. I'm replacing all the cables on my bike.
http://www.bikeroom.com/items.asp?cc=438&Tp=
they have XTR cables ($32) dura ace ($16) and qbp teflon ($30). I'm
considering the dura ace since they're kinda cheap, i'm sure they'll work
fine on a mountain bike (commuter) no? It'd definately save me some cash. I
also wonder if that dura ace package comes with ferrules.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

The new cranks would be a good Idea .But you have to watch for chain
slippage if you use your old chain.And if you put on a new chain it might
skip on the old cassette .
The best idea would be New
Cranks ISISS if you wish $$
Chain
cassette
rebuild shifters and don't loose any small parts
And new cables .
This would have you shifting like New for a long time and should have no
problem from using old parts and new part together the drive train on bikes
don't like that mix ??
Good luck and cables are cables unless they are Teflon coated ??

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the whole plan is to replace the complete drivetrain, even the
pulleywheels which are pretty chewed up for some reason. I've never serviced
them and they run super smooth still (it goes to show how great the ceramic
pulleywheels really are). So I'll replace them with the same.

As for the crank.. I don't think I'm gonna get an ISIS crank. It's more
money, which I don't overly have and square taper BB's have been used for
years with no problems.

Mike
htto://mikebeauchamp.com