Crank or chainring replacement / servicing 1993 rapidfire shifters / Cable Q?

Mike Beauchamp

Guest
The short version (after summarizing the long version):

1. Chainrings need replacing: Should I replace the worn
rings (really just the middle), or should I spring for a
new crank to replace the 1993 LX one? Reason being that
new ones are cheaper than the rings alone (eg. TruVativ
FireX SX ATB Crankset @ nashbar) and they're new and
fancy looking. Or maybe I should spring even more cash
and get an ISIS crank/bb?

2. My rapidfire shifters are working great still, but since
they're 11 years old, I was wondering if I should take
them apart and clean and regrease them. Anyone know of a
guide on how to do this?

3. I'm replacing all the cables on my bike.
http://www.bikeroom.com/items.asp?cc=438&Tp= they have
XTR cables ($32) dura ace ($16) and qbp teflon ($30). I'm
considering the dura ace since they're kinda cheap, i'm
sure they'll work fine on a mountain bike (commuter) no?
It'd definately save me some cash. I also wonder if that
dura ace package comes with ferrules.

Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

The new cranks would be a good Idea .But you have to watch
for chain slippage if you use your old chain.And if you put
on a new chain it might skip on the old cassette . The best
idea would be New Cranks ISISS if you wish $$ Chain
cassette rebuild shifters and don't loose any small parts
And new cables . This would have you shifting like New for
a long time and should have no problem from using old parts
and new part together the drive train on bikes don't like
that mix ?? Good luck and cables are cables unless they are
Teflon coated ??

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the whole plan is to replace the complete drivetrain,
even the pulleywheels which are pretty chewed up for some
reason. I've never serviced them and they run super smooth
still (it goes to show how great the ceramic pulleywheels
really are). So I'll replace them with the same.

As for the crank.. I don't think I'm gonna get an ISIS
crank. It's more money, which I don't overly have and square
taper BB's have been used for years with no problems.

Mike htto://mikebeauchamp.com

"Jamie TrailBlazer At Large" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:AwXHc.53394$MB3.4652@attbi_s04...