Crank puller for CAAD6 SI Hollowgram

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by S. Constnat, May 30, 2003.

  1. S. Constnat

    S. Constnat Guest

    I'm looking for the crank puller for a Cannondale CAAD6 Saeco SI with the Hollowgram crank. The
    standard Park CCP-4 and/or CPP-2 don't do the trick.

    Does anyone have an handle on the right puller to use for this crank.

    Thanks, Steve

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "S. Constnat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for the crank puller for a Cannondale CAAD6 Saeco SI with the Hollowgram crank. The
    > standard Park CCP-4 and/or CPP-2 don't do the trick.
    >
    > Does anyone have an handle on the right puller to use for this crank.

    There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that allows use of a normal crank puller in the larger
    bore spindle. They are cheap at any competent LBS.

  3. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    A Muzi wrote:
    > "S. Constnat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I'm looking for the crank puller for a Cannondale CAAD6 Saeco SI with the Hollowgram crank. The
    >>standard Park CCP-4 and/or CPP-2 don't do the trick.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have an handle on the right puller to use for this crank.
    >

    > There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that allows use of a normal crank puller in the larger
    > bore spindle. They are cheap at any competent LBS.

    My LBS just handed me one for free -- they still had some from when all Shimano cranks that needed
    one came packed with one for free.

    Or in a pinch, you can use a washer to block the hole or a piece of round stock (or a long bolt with
    the head cut off) in the hole, through the axle against the bolt on the other side (trimming the
    length as needed). Just make sure that you get the crank washer out before doing this or you'll
    simply pull the threads out of the crank (don't ask how I know <sigh>).

    David

  4. S R Sharp

    S R Sharp Guest

    David Kunz wrote:

    > A Muzi wrote:
    > > "S. Constnat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>I'm looking for the crank puller for a Cannondale CAAD6 Saeco SI with the Hollowgram crank. The
    > >>standard Park CCP-4 and/or CPP-2 don't do the trick.
    > >>
    > >>Does anyone have an handle on the right puller to use for this crank.
    > >

    > > There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that allows use of a normal crank puller in the
    > > larger bore spindle. They are cheap at any competent LBS.
    >
    > My LBS just handed me one for free -- they still had some from when all Shimano cranks that needed
    > one came packed with one for free.
    >
    > Or in a pinch, you can use a washer to block the hole or a piece of round stock (or a long bolt
    > with the head cut off) in the hole, through the axle against the bolt on the other side (trimming
    > the length as needed). Just make sure that you get the crank washer out before doing this or
    > you'll simply pull the threads out of the crank (don't ask how I know <sigh>).
    >
    > David

    I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool specific for this crank, although
    I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not cheap either.

  5. I have the hollowgram crank on my scalpel mountain bike... it came with two pieces that work as an
    extractor... I assume yours has the same dimensions... so you should be able to get the tool from
    cannondale/your lbs.

    if you live around hartford , ct you can borrow mine :)

    charlie

    Member Help Community Leader

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > > "S. Constnat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > A Muzi wrote:> > > There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that
    allows use of a normal
    > > > crank puller in the larger bore spindle. They are cheap at any
    competent
    > > > LBS.

    > David Kunz wrote:
    > > My LBS just handed me one for free -- they still had some from when all Shimano cranks that
    > > needed one came packed with one for free.
    > >
    > > Or in a pinch, you can use a washer to block the hole or a piece of round stock (or a long bolt
    > > with the head cut off) in the hole, through the axle against the bolt on the other side
    > > (trimming the length as needed). Just make sure that you get the crank washer out before doing
    > > this or you'll simply pull the threads out of the crank (don't ask how I know <sigh>).

    The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
    specific for
    > this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not
    > cheap either.

    Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the other
    crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it in a pinch.

  7. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, A Muzi wrote:

    >the
    >trick.

    >> > A Muzi wrote:> > > There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that
    >allows use of a normal
    >competent
    >
    >> David Kunz wrote:
    >> > My LBS just handed me one for free -- they still had some from when all Shimano cranks that
    >> > needed one came packed with one for free.
    >> >
    >> > Or in a pinch, you can use a washer to block the hole or a piece of round stock (or a long bolt
    >> > with the head cut off) in the hole, through the axle against the bolt on the other side
    >> > (trimming the length as needed). Just make sure that you get the crank washer out before doing
    >> > this or you'll simply pull the threads out of the crank (don't ask how I know <sigh>).
    >

    >The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
    >specific for
    >> this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not cheap
    >> either.
    >

    >Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the
    >other crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it in a pinch.

    This what I did this weekend, when I needed to pull a splined crank off my bike. I had the Park tool
    that works on my Campy stuff (and older Shimano). Of course, I didn't even think about it, and
    wondered why the crack wasn't slipping off, even after having it screwed all the way in! Of course,
    you have to screw the crank bolt back in to get the other side off.

    Should I get a new crank puller or will a washer always do the trick. My fear about using a washer
    or disk is two fold

    1: I'm worried about a steel washer slipping a little sideways and begin smoothing down the cap
    threads in the crank (aluminum is pretty soft).
    2: I'm afraid it may bend like a potato chip and get stuck in the crank, if I have a particularly
    stubborn crank to pull off.

    Which Park crank puller is appropriate for Octalink? And will it also work on ISIS?

    From: John B. Rees [email protected] http://www.jrees.net/

  8. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    John Rees wrote:

    >>the

    >>trick.

    >>allows use of a normal

    >>competent

    >>The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
    >>
    >>specific for
    >>
    >>>this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not cheap
    >>>either.
    >>

    >>Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the
    >>other crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it in a pinch.
    >

    > This what I did this weekend, when I needed to pull a splined crank off my bike. I had the Park
    > tool that works on my Campy stuff (and older Shimano). Of course, I didn't even think about it,
    > and wondered why the crack wasn't slipping off, even after having it screwed all the way in! Of
    > course, you have to screw the crank bolt back in to get the other side off.
    >
    > Should I get a new crank puller or will a washer always do the trick. My fear about using a washer
    > or disk is two fold
    >
    > 1: I'm worried about a steel washer slipping a little sideways and begin smoothing down the cap
    > threads in the crank (aluminum is pretty soft).
    > 2: I'm afraid it may bend like a potato chip and get stuck in the crank, if I have a particularly
    > stubborn crank to pull off.

    I had the same concern and put a small bolt/nut though the washer and it doesn't bend any more :).
    The nut's small enough to fit in the hole left by the crank bolt so it doesn't get in the way.

    > Which Park crank puller is appropriate for Octalink? And will it also work on ISIS?

    I don't know about Octalink. But, I use the smae one for ISIS as I did for XTR. The only difference
    is that some ISIS use a bigger bolt and the shimano hollow axle hole blocker won't work (thus my
    washer with a bolt through it to stiffen it :)).

    David

  9. S R Sharp

    S R Sharp Guest

    A Muzi wrote:

    > The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
    > specific for
    > > this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not cheap
    > > either.
    >
    > Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the
    > other crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it in a pinch.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

    I believe this will work for Octalink and ISIS, I don't believe it will work on the C'dale. Did you
    actually do this? It is difficult to tell from your posts. Specifically, I was wondering if a
    standard crank puller is the right diameter to thread into the Hollowgram arm.

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > A Muzi wrote:
    >
    > > The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
    > > specific for
    > > > this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website.
    It's
    > > > probably not cheap either.
    > >
    > > Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the
    > > other crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it
    in a
    > > pinch.

    "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I believe this will work for Octalink and ISIS, I don't believe it will
    work on
    > the C'dale. Did you actually do this? It is difficult to tell from your posts. Specifically, I was
    > wondering if a standard crank puller is the
    right
    > diameter to thread into the Hollowgram arm.

    Yes, I wrote hastily. I was told about putting an axle inside the splined spindle by someone else
    and yes it does fit in Shimano cranks. Here, we got the TL-FC-15 early on so I did not _have_ to do
    that, I just thought it was clever.

    I am just now realizing that you are perhaps talking about a different system altogether, right? If
    so , then I have no knowledge of it.