Crank puller for CAAD6 SI Hollowgram

S. Constnat

Guest
I'm looking for the crank puller for a Cannondale CAAD6 Saeco SI with the Hollowgram crank. The
standard Park CCP-4 and/or CPP-2 don't do the trick.

Does anyone have an handle on the right puller to use for this crank.

Thanks, Steve

"S. Constnat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for the crank puller for a Cannondale CAAD6 Saeco SI with the Hollowgram crank. The
> standard Park CCP-4 and/or CPP-2 don't do the trick.
>
> Does anyone have an handle on the right puller to use for this crank.

There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that allows use of a normal crank puller in the larger
bore spindle. They are cheap at any competent LBS.

A Muzi wrote:
> "S. Constnat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I'm looking for the crank puller for a Cannondale CAAD6 Saeco SI with the Hollowgram crank. The
>>standard Park CCP-4 and/or CPP-2 don't do the trick.
>>
>>Does anyone have an handle on the right puller to use for this crank.
>

> There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that allows use of a normal crank puller in the larger
> bore spindle. They are cheap at any competent LBS.

My LBS just handed me one for free -- they still had some from when all Shimano cranks that needed
one came packed with one for free.

Or in a pinch, you can use a washer to block the hole or a piece of round stock (or a long bolt with
the head cut off) in the hole, through the axle against the bolt on the other side (trimming the
length as needed). Just make sure that you get the crank washer out before doing this or you'll
simply pull the threads out of the crank (don't ask how I know <sigh>).

David

David Kunz wrote:

> A Muzi wrote:
> > "S. Constnat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>I'm looking for the crank puller for a Cannondale CAAD6 Saeco SI with the Hollowgram crank. The
> >>standard Park CCP-4 and/or CPP-2 don't do the trick.
> >>
> >>Does anyone have an handle on the right puller to use for this crank.
> >

> > There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that allows use of a normal crank puller in the
> > larger bore spindle. They are cheap at any competent LBS.
>
> My LBS just handed me one for free -- they still had some from when all Shimano cranks that needed
> one came packed with one for free.
>
> Or in a pinch, you can use a washer to block the hole or a piece of round stock (or a long bolt
> with the head cut off) in the hole, through the axle against the bolt on the other side (trimming
> the length as needed). Just make sure that you get the crank washer out before doing this or
> you'll simply pull the threads out of the crank (don't ask how I know <sigh>).
>
> David

I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool specific for this crank, although
I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not cheap either.

I have the hollowgram crank on my scalpel mountain bike... it came with two pieces that work as an
extractor... I assume yours has the same dimensions... so you should be able to get the tool from
cannondale/your lbs.

if you live around hartford , ct you can borrow mine :)

charlie

Member Help Community Leader

> > > "S. Constnat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > A Muzi wrote:> > > There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that
allows use of a normal
> > > crank puller in the larger bore spindle. They are cheap at any
competent
> > > LBS.

> David Kunz wrote:
> > My LBS just handed me one for free -- they still had some from when all Shimano cranks that
> > needed one came packed with one for free.
> >
> > Or in a pinch, you can use a washer to block the hole or a piece of round stock (or a long bolt
> > with the head cut off) in the hole, through the axle against the bolt on the other side
> > (trimming the length as needed). Just make sure that you get the crank washer out before doing
> > this or you'll simply pull the threads out of the crank (don't ask how I know <sigh>).

The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
specific for
> this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not
> cheap either.

Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the other
crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it in a pinch.

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, A Muzi wrote:

>the
>trick.

>> > A Muzi wrote:> > > There is an insert from Shimano, TL-FC-15, that
>allows use of a normal
>competent
>
>> David Kunz wrote:
>> > My LBS just handed me one for free -- they still had some from when all Shimano cranks that
>> > needed one came packed with one for free.
>> >
>> > Or in a pinch, you can use a washer to block the hole or a piece of round stock (or a long bolt
>> > with the head cut off) in the hole, through the axle against the bolt on the other side
>> > (trimming the length as needed). Just make sure that you get the crank washer out before doing
>> > this or you'll simply pull the threads out of the crank (don't ask how I know <sigh>).
>

>The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
>specific for
>> this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not cheap
>> either.
>

>Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the
>other crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it in a pinch.

This what I did this weekend, when I needed to pull a splined crank off my bike. I had the Park tool
that works on my Campy stuff (and older Shimano). Of course, I didn't even think about it, and
wondered why the crack wasn't slipping off, even after having it screwed all the way in! Of course,
you have to screw the crank bolt back in to get the other side off.

Should I get a new crank puller or will a washer always do the trick. My fear about using a washer
or disk is two fold

1: I'm worried about a steel washer slipping a little sideways and begin smoothing down the cap
threads in the crank (aluminum is pretty soft).
2: I'm afraid it may bend like a potato chip and get stuck in the crank, if I have a particularly
stubborn crank to pull off.

Which Park crank puller is appropriate for Octalink? And will it also work on ISIS?

From: John B. Rees [email protected] http://www.jrees.net/

John Rees wrote:

>>the

>>trick.

>>allows use of a normal

>>competent

>>The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
>>
>>specific for
>>
>>>this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not cheap
>>>either.
>>

>>Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the
>>other crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it in a pinch.
>

> This what I did this weekend, when I needed to pull a splined crank off my bike. I had the Park
> tool that works on my Campy stuff (and older Shimano). Of course, I didn't even think about it,
> and wondered why the crack wasn't slipping off, even after having it screwed all the way in! Of
> course, you have to screw the crank bolt back in to get the other side off.
>
> Should I get a new crank puller or will a washer always do the trick. My fear about using a washer
> or disk is two fold
>
> 1: I'm worried about a steel washer slipping a little sideways and begin smoothing down the cap
> threads in the crank (aluminum is pretty soft).
> 2: I'm afraid it may bend like a potato chip and get stuck in the crank, if I have a particularly
> stubborn crank to pull off.

I had the same concern and put a small bolt/nut though the washer and it doesn't bend any more :).
The nut's small enough to fit in the hole left by the crank bolt so it doesn't get in the way.

> Which Park crank puller is appropriate for Octalink? And will it also work on ISIS?

I don't know about Octalink. But, I use the smae one for ISIS as I did for XTR. The only difference
is that some ISIS use a bigger bolt and the shimano hollow axle hole blocker won't work (thus my
washer with a bolt through it to stiffen it :)).

David

A Muzi wrote:

> The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
> specific for
> > this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website. It's probably not cheap
> > either.
>
> Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the
> other crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it in a pinch.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

I believe this will work for Octalink and ISIS, I don't believe it will work on the C'dale. Did you
actually do this? It is difficult to tell from your posts. Specifically, I was wondering if a
standard crank puller is the right diameter to thread into the Hollowgram arm.

> A Muzi wrote:
>
> > The incredulous "S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I don't believe this will work. Cannondale makes an oversize tool
> > specific for
> > > this crank, although I can't seem to find it quickly on the website.
It's
> > > probably not cheap either.
> >
> > Believe it, it does work. A piece of steel such as a hub axle inside the spindle backed by the
> > other crank bolt is a useful way to deal with it
in a
> > pinch.

"S R Sharp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I believe this will work for Octalink and ISIS, I don't believe it will
work on
> the C'dale. Did you actually do this? It is difficult to tell from your posts. Specifically, I was
> wondering if a standard crank puller is the
right
> diameter to thread into the Hollowgram arm.

Yes, I wrote hastily. I was told about putting an axle inside the splined spindle by someone else
and yes it does fit in Shimano cranks. Here, we got the TL-FC-15 early on so I did not _have_ to do
that, I just thought it was clever.

I am just now realizing that you are perhaps talking about a different system altogether, right? If
so , then I have no knowledge of it.