Crank Puller for Shimano Octalink?

meehs

Nov 7, 2003
I have a Shimano XT Octalink BB on my MTB. Do I need a special crank puller for it? I have a puller for a standard square taper BB. I know that Park makes the CCP-4 but is that just for the "pipe" style Shimano BB's?

meehs said:
I have a Shimano XT Octalink BB on my MTB. Do I need a special crank puller for it? I have a puller for a standard square taper BB. I know that Park makes the CCP-4 but is that just for the "pipe" style Shimano BB's?
'Pipe style' is octalink.If it doesn't have self extractors,then you need an octalink type puler or one that can be switched for double duty. One 'make do' method is to drop a suitable bolt into the octalink hole for the square taper puller to push against.

boudreaux said:
'Pipe style' is octalink.If it doesn't have self extractors,then you need an octalink type puler or one that can be switched for double duty. One 'make do' method is to drop a suitable bolt into the octalink hole for the square taper puller to push against.
Most splined bottom brackets come with a "plug" to fill the larger than usual hole in the splined bottom bracket. This makes extraction with a normal square taper crank puller possible. If u dont have one of these (and your bike shop can't lend you one) than maybe u can find a bolt that will fit the hole as boudreaux has said.

boudreaux said:

Okay, so all of the Octalinks are the 'pipe style' BB's.

Damn! I had a CCP-4 in my hand yesterday and I put it back when I read the package. It says something like "for use with all oversized 'pipe' stlye Shimano Octalink BB's". For some reason I was thinking that XTR and Dura-Ace had an odd-ball version of the Octalink that was referred to as the "pipe" style and that they were a larger diameter. So I figured that maybe the CCP-4 was just for that model.

I guess for now I'll use the 'bolt method' anyway. Thanks boudreaux.

drewjc said:
Most splined bottom brackets come with a "plug" to fill the larger than usual hole in the splined bottom bracket.
I have yet to see one of them thingys.

I did get one of these bolts with a 105 crankset (non one-key). But I guess that's normal, right?

boudreaux said:
Thats what I meant,and they don't come with new bikes with octalink BB equipped with non extracting cranks. it's something you have to know exists. Surprising Park doesn't have one,but probably better for the bottom line to sell a whole new tool.