Crank Removal tool for later cranks ?

Bob

Guest
For later model Stronglight cranks (i.e. 105, 99 ) and Japanese cranks
such as S/R, Sugino, etc... do these all use the same puller (22mm)
tool? Or are the Sronglight cranks different even in later years ?
What if the crank is a "stud on" instead of a bolt on ?

Thanks,
Bob

I dunno anything about Stronglight cranks, but all the Sugino, SR,
Suntour cranks I've seen use the same puller as a modern square taper
crankset.

By "stud on" do you mean a nutted axle rather than a bolted axle? That
doesn't make a difference in the crank puller.

Dan

I have some Stronglight 99 cranks from the early 1980s and some Stronglight
Escape cranks which are current model and they both use the same puller as
most other cranks.

I also have some Stronglight 49D cranks and you need a different puller for
those.

Nick

news:[email protected]...

On 9 Aug 2005 15:33:18 -0700, "Dan Lenski" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I dunno anything about Stronglight cranks, but all the Sugino, SR,
>Suntour cranks I've seen use the same puller as a modern square taper
>crankset.
>
>By "stud on" do you mean a nutted axle rather than a bolted axle? That
>doesn't make a difference in the crank puller.

Yes... I just wondered about the ability of the "universal" pullers to
let the remover stud draw back enough to fit over the nutted axle
stud. Thanks.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:40:31 +1000, "Nick Payne" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have some Stronglight 99 cranks from the early 1980s and some Stronglight
>Escape cranks which are current model and they both use the same puller as
>most other cranks.
>
>I also have some Stronglight 49D cranks and you need a different puller for
>those.
>
>Nick

Thanks. I have pullers for the early cranks. It's this new fangled
stuff that's a problem!

Since you have both types of cranks, maybe you can answer another
question for me: are the chainwheel bolts the same for the later
Escape cranks and the earlier 99 model ?

Bob

Bob <[email protected]> writes:

>For later model Stronglight cranks (i.e. 105, 99 ) and Japanese cranks
>such as S/R, Sugino, etc... do these all use the same puller (22mm)
>tool? Or are the Sronglight cranks different even in later years ?
>What if the crank is a "stud on" instead of a bolt on ?

Stronglight 105 and/or 105bis were out in 1978 or 1979 and are simply
Stronglight 93 cranks with special chainrings. Since the stronglight
93 used 23.15 mm pullers, i think you might have a problem with
Stronglight 105 cranks and 22 mm pullers.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On 10 Aug 2005 13:44:28 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

>Stronglight 105 and/or 105bis were out in 1978 or 1979 and are simply
>Stronglight 93 cranks with special chainrings. Since the stronglight
>93 used 23.15 mm pullers, i think you might have a problem with
>Stronglight 105 cranks and 22 mm pullers.

Hmmm... interesting. I know the 105 shares BCD with the 93, but I
thought the 105 had slightly slimmed arms a la the 99 (but larger
BCD). The particular cranks I have in question are the a Peugeot
relabel which has arms like a 99 but a BCD like a 105/93 so it must be
22 (ie the 23/15 does not fit). I also have a 99 that seems to be the
same arms/size as the Peugeot ie 22.

A Bob wrote:

> For later model Stronglight cranks (i.e. 105, 99 ) and Japanese cranks
> such as S/R, Sugino, etc... do these all use the same puller (22mm)
> tool? Or are the Sronglight cranks different even in later years ?
> What if the crank is a "stud on" instead of a bolt on ?

I believe Stronglight made the switch from their proprietary 23.15 mm
extractor to the standard 22 mm size in 1982.

Sheldon "Fortléger" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| Bicycling isn't supposed to hurt! See: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:54:55 -0400, Sheldon Brown
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A Bob wrote:
>
>> For later model Stronglight cranks (i.e. 105, 99 ) and Japanese cranks
>> such as S/R, Sugino, etc... do these all use the same puller (22mm)
>> tool? Or are the Sronglight cranks different even in later years ?
>> What if the crank is a "stud on" instead of a bolt on ?

>I believe Stronglight made the switch from their proprietary 23.15 mm
>extractor to the standard 22 mm size in 1982.

Thanks Sheldon. I'll be buying it at your shop :) It was actually
your catalog listing that confused me a little:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/bottombracket.html

There is a "universal" tool as well as a "stronglight 22mm" listed.
I was trying to figure out the difference.

Bob