crank removal

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ray Yeh, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Ray Yeh

    Ray Yeh Guest

    I am building a beater and picked up a frame in the trash. It has cranks that have a nut holding the
    cranks onto the spindle and an axel bolt still protrudes into the space my "normal" crank removal
    tool fits. Is there another tool to use? Am I missing something? Do I just live with
    "beater"bearings in the bottom bracket? Ray

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Yeah, that's the other style of crank attachment. Sometimes, the crank tools will do both, but
    sometimes not. See if you can get your remover to thread correctly into the arm before it hits the
    axle. If you can't get it bottomed in the arm before hitting the axle, you must not use that
    remover. If it does go, let'er rip. You may damage the tool, depending on what type it is, if you
    use it though. Sometimes they have a nice, rotating face on the tool where it his the bolt-type axle
    face. If it does, it might get jammed up a bit.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson