Crank Set Upgrade

MarkInNC

Apr 15, 2007
I have been slowly but surely changing things on my Trek MTB to make it into a hybrid. I have changed the wheels over to a set of Kane Creek 700c wheels and a set of 32 road tires. I have changed out the front RockShox front fork to a carbon rigid fork.

Next on my list is to change out the crankset and increase the size of the chain rings. I currently have a octalink crank with a 44T large chainring. I have found a XT Hollow Link with a 48T large chain ring.

Is the larger chain ring going to be compatable with my front detailer? I am assuming that since I am not messing with the cassette, yet, that nothing in the rear drive train will be affected.

The diameter of the new chainring will be larger than what I have now. Will I have to add links to the current chain or buy a new chain, or will the rear derailer make up the differance?

thanks,

Mark

MarkInNC said:
I have been slowly but surely changing things on my Trek MTB to make it into a hybrid. I have changed the wheels over to a set of Kane Creek 700c wheels and a set of 32 road tires. I have changed out the front RockShox front fork to a carbon rigid fork.

Next on my list is to change out the crankset and increase the size of the chain rings. I currently have a octalink crank with a 44T large chainring. I have found a XT Hollow Link with a 48T large chain ring.

Is the larger chain ring going to be compatable with my front detailer? I am assuming that since I am not messing with the cassette, yet, that nothing in the rear drive train will be affected.

The diameter of the new chainring will be larger than what I have now. Will I have to add links to the current chain or buy a new chain, or will the rear derailer make up the differance?
Your current front derailleur should be good-to-go, but perhaps not. I'm using a 52/39 130BCD/ROAD crankset with an XT '739' front derailleur -- see pic.

BTW. You can buy the 48t 104BCD Shimano "touring" chainring, separately, and fit it onto your existing crankset (I'm presuming you have a "standard" 4-arm MTB crank).

4 more teeth ... ideally, you theoretically need two more inches of chain unless your chain is already longer than it needs to be (which it may be).

Thanks for the info! Yes, I started out looking for two chainrings not a new crankset. Turns out that I was able to get a good price on an XT Crankset with the larger chainrings installed and just a little more than what two chain rings would cost.

Sounds like it might be a good idea for me to buy a chain link tool and new chain.

Mark

alfeng said:
Your current front derailleur should be good-to-go, but perhaps not. I'm using a 52/39 130BCD/ROAD crankset with an XT '739' front derailleur -- see pic.

BTW. You can buy the 48t 104BCD Shimano "touring" chainring, separately, and fit it onto your existing crankset (I'm presuming you have a "standard" 4-arm MTB crank).

4 more teeth ... ideally, you theoretically need two more inches of chain unless your chain is already longer than it needs to be (which it may be).