Crank size difference--will it really help?

Thanks for the link. I did a search and found most who torque them use
35-50 foot pounds of torque. Basically, when I installed them I tightened
them as much as I could without forcing them to the 'breaking point or
stripping point". But I'll double check them today with a torque wrench set
at 35 pounds just to make sure they are at least that tight.

Chuck

news:[email protected]...

caaron wrote:
> Thanks for all of the responses to my question. I actually did buy and
> install the Ultegra 165's and the results were dramatic--much easier riding
> with less effort, and an increase in cadence by close to 10rpm along with an
> average speed increase of about .7mph (seven tenths).
>
> My bike finally feels comfortable to ride--hard to believe that such a
> seemingly minor change of 7.5mm could make such a dramatic difference in
> performance. And the cranks were ridiculously easy to install, so it is a
> trivial mechanical procedure.

Congrats. I'm another who likes the shorties, and yes, it makes a big
difference to me, too.

BTW, I've run into a few highly negative reactions from folks on this
matter. Ain't life strange?.
--D-y

caaron wrote:
> Thanks for the link. I did a search and found most who torque them use
> 35-50 foot pounds of torque. Basically, when I installed them I tightened
> them as much as I could without forcing them to the 'breaking point or
> stripping point". But I'll double check them today with a torque wrench set
> at 35 pounds just to make sure they are at least that tight.

Have you ridden them since you installed them? Are they square taper
cranks? If yes to both, don't just torque them up again. Remove the
cranks and reinstall rather than retorquing.

I don't know if your Ultegra cranks have a square taper or splined
interface to the BB. It depends on the age of the cranks, I suppose.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

I have ridden on them since I installed them. The bottom bracket is Shimano
Octalink.

Chuck

news:[email protected]...

caaron wrote:
> I have ridden on them since I installed them. The bottom bracket is Shimano
> Octalink.

I don't know much about Octalink. Hopefully someone else does...

If Octalink is a press fit, then remove before retorquing. If it's not a
press fit, retorque to your heart's content.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu