Crank upgrade.

Josh7171

Apr 21, 2013
I purchased a new Tarmac comp. It came with ultegra 11 speed. But the crank is FSA gossamer pro bb30 52/36 and brakes are axis 2.0. I know these are on the heavier side. I would like to upgrade them this winter. What should I be looking for. Also I find it hard to "spin" on hills this has made me good at standing up for them. However if I have anything over a quarter mile "hill" I would like to be seated some of it. This is a lot different than my trek Domane 4.0 I had. Should I try to gear for it or should I try to train for it? Cassette is 11-28

Mostly, train for it. I don't know your age, your fitness level, or your aspirations, but in general, even here in Colorado, 36/28 is pretty darned low. To use wider range cassette you'll likely need a GS (medium cage) rear derailleur, too.

You can also get 50-34 chainrings for your Gossamer crankset, which will give you just a little more low end. Or you can get the whole 6800 or 5800 (105) Shimano crankset, with 50/34 rings, for (slightly) lower gearing, lighter weight, and crisper front shifting. You'll also need a Shimano BB86 bottom bracket or a converter for your FSA BB30.

I see a 52/11 top gear as a bit of a leg breaker, unless your riding covers long downhills in excess of 40 mph. 40 is about where I spin out my 50/11.