crankarm power loss

Bikeridindude

Mar 13, 2006
I remember reading an article about Tom Boonen quite awhile ago where it said that he went from carbon crank arms back to the alloy ones because he was having trouble winning races. I don't know if it was just a rumor or what, but it got me wondering if I shouldn't trade out the ole carbons for the alloys, especially on the flat courses. Does anybody have any insight to this? I'm sure there is more flex in the carbons, but does that amount to wasted energy? If so, is it enough to worry about? :confused: Thank you.

Yes, CF cranks are soft as noodle. I'll sacrifice and take them off you. ;)

Bikeridindude said:
I remember reading an article about Tom Boonen quite awhile ago where it said that he went from carbon crank arms back to the alloy ones because he was having trouble winning races. I don't know if it was just a rumor or what, but it got me wondering if I shouldn't trade out the ole carbons for the alloys, especially on the flat courses. Does anybody have any insight to this? I'm sure there is more flex in the carbons, but does that amount to wasted energy? If so, is it enough to worry about? :confused: Thank you.

Do you make as much power as Tom Boonen?

I read somewhere that Cancellara swapped his FSA carbon cranks for the heavier Gossamers during the one dayers.

janiejones said:
I read somewhere that Cancellara swapped his FSA carbon cranks for the heavier Gossamers during the one dayers.
FSA CF must have been ****. :D

sogood said:
Yes, CF cranks are soft as noodle. I'll sacrifice and take them off you. ;)
If I can actually get some useful information about this topic, maybe I'll sell them to you! :D

1. Boonen rode alloy because Campag didn't make carbon cranks in 180mm length.
2. Depending on design, carbon can be made stiffer than alu. As with frames, material is secondary to design.
3. Any crankarm flex is likely much smaller than frame/wheel/tire sidewall flex, and most people with physics/engineering backgrounds seem to think that this is all totally inconsequential to putting wattage to the pavement.
4. This probably doesn't belong in the "Power Training" forum.

cheers,
Peter

peterpen said:
1. Boonen rode alloy because Campag didn't make carbon cranks in 180mm length.
2. Depending on design, carbon can be made stiffer than alu. As with frames, material is secondary to design.
3. Any crankarm flex is likely much smaller than frame/wheel/tire sidewall flex, and most people with physics/engineering backgrounds seem to think that this is all totally inconsequential to putting wattage to the pavement.
4. This probably doesn't belong in the "Power Training" forum.

cheers,
Peter
Thank you and my apologies.