Cranks: A step up from TruVativ's Stylo?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by (Pete Cresswell), Aug 21, 2004.

  1. Per a thread I just initiated in ...Tech, I may or may not have toasted my
    drive-side crank.

    I'm also getting a "tick" sound from the other crank at about 2 o-clock under
    load. Last time something like this started happening the crank broke roughly
    in half....

    In the event that I fry the drive side trying to get around a broken
    self-extractor and/or I can't make this tick go away, it's new crankset time...

    Anybody care to venture a step up from TruVative's Stylo (i.e. maybe a little
    lighter/stronger/more durable) that will fit the same ISIS splined BB
    interface?.

    This is nothing against what I've got....no complaints about the TruVativ....but
    I might want to try something different just on GPs.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    Tags:

  2. RE/
    >that will fit the same ISIS splined BB
    >interface?.

    Upon reflection.... seems like there SB something that fits that interface, but
    with a open-ring/pinch-bolt strategy...that would get around the need for a
    crank extractor. Any such thing in a quality product?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > RE/
    > >that will fit the same ISIS splined BB
    > >interface?.

    > Upon reflection.... seems like there SB something that fits that

    interface, but
    > with a open-ring/pinch-bolt strategy...that would get around the need for

    > crank extractor. Any such thing in a quality product?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Actually I had the Stylo cranks on an i-Drive and it had those lockrings so
    I didn't need a crank pulling tool. They were great cranks for XC.

  4. RE/
    >Actually I had the Stylo cranks on an i-Drive and it had those lockrings so
    >I didn't need a crank pulling tool. They were great cranks for XC.

    I thought the lockrings were a great idea until one burst open while trying to
    remove a crank. Now, I'm not so sure...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. > I thought the lockrings were a great idea until one burst open while trying to
    > remove a crank. Now, I'm not so sure...

    I think I found the root cause. Seems that, although the splined
    shaft interface is standardized, the crank-attachment bolts/extractor
    rings are not.

    I managed to wind up with bolts from maker "A" and extractor rings
    from maker "B". About 1-2mm diff....enough to blow out the
    extractor ring when the going gets rough.....

    Lesson learned: purchase/install crank bolts & extractor rings as a
    system.

  6. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:56:14 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <[email protected]> wrote:
    > RE/
    >>Actually I had the Stylo cranks on an i-Drive and it had those lockrings so
    >>I didn't need a crank pulling tool. They were great cranks for XC.

    > I thought the lockrings were a great idea until one burst open while trying to
    > remove a crank. Now, I'm not so sure...

    Well I was looking at the Race Face LP Turbines until the
    Freak broke 3 of them. He said he was gonna try the White
    Industries Eno next. I'm going to let him be the beta
    tester. :)