cranks appear loose?

Marc_9

Guest
My mtbike was bought a year ago and I have no problems with it. However over the last week or so, my
cranks appear to give a little. That is when I push/accelerate a little harder, it jumps a forward
slightly - maybe around 2 or 3mm. I tried tightening the crank retaining bolt, but to no avail.
Found it already tight. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions? Regards marc

Originally posted by Marc_9
My mtbike was bought a year ago and I have no problems with it. However over the last week or so, my
cranks appear to give a little. That is when I push/accelerate a little harder, it jumps a forward
slightly - maybe around 2 or 3mm. I tried tightening the crank retaining bolt, but to no avail.
Found it already tight. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions? Regards marc

Sounds like the bearings are the problem. If you know what you are doing take out the cranks and have a look at the bottom bracket, otherwise take it to your local bike shop.

"marc_9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My mtbike was bought a year ago and I have no problems with it. However over the last week or so,
> my cranks appear to give a little. That is when I push/accelerate a little harder, it jumps a
> forward slightly - maybe around 2 or 3mm. I tried tightening the crank retaining bolt, but to no
> avail. Found it already tight. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions? Regards marc

Sounds more like your freewheel is not engaging correctly. Common with cheap or heavily-used
freewheels.

Can you move the cranks with your hands when pushing each side in the opposite direction? i.e. do
the cranks feel like they are moving when you push/pull them with your hands?

hippy

Yep, had a closer look at the rear derailuer and noticed the guide and 3rd gear weren't lined up
properly. I believe I adjusted it - new to all this. Maybe that might be the problem. Wont know
until I try it out on the road this arvo.

The bike is quite heavily used, and it is a relatively cheap mtbike. It's an Apollo LSR 1.0 from
2002 (purchased for $380 in 2003). Tourney gears and alum frame. I like though. I carry my 3 year
old on a child carrier to kindy several times a week. Done alot of work, and found I made back my
money in saved petrol costs in less than 10 to 11 months! This was not the reason why I bought the
bike in the first place, but it was a pleasant surprise. Find the marginally heavier frame gives a
more stable ride when carrying the bub in the back. My wife's Giant Boulder SE, which is about a
kilo lighter is not as good, particularly when being walked around with a 17kg kid on the back.
Regards marc

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "marc_9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My mtbike was bought a year ago and I have no problems with it. However over the last week or
> > so, my cranks appear to give a little. That is when I push/accelerate a little harder, it jumps
> > a forward slightly - maybe around 2 or 3mm. I tried tightening the crank retaining bolt, but to
> > no avail. Found it already tight. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions? Regards marc
>
> Sounds more like your freewheel is not engaging correctly. Common with cheap or heavily-used
> freewheels.
>
> Can you move the cranks with your hands when pushing each side in the opposite direction? i.e. do
> the cranks feel like they are moving when you push/pull them with your hands?
>
> hippy

yup, I agree.. had to replace my bottom bracket on my Apollo LSX 1.4 (2002) after only 3000kms.. it
fell apart when it was removed...

"Spider1977" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Marc_9 wrote:
> > My mtbike was bought a year ago and I have no problems with it.
However
> > over the last week or so, my cranks appear to give a little. That is when I push/accelerate a
> > little harder, it jumps a forward slightly - maybe around 2 or 3mm. I tried tightening the
> > crank retaining bolt,
but
> > to no avail. Found it already tight. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions? Regards marc
>

> Sounds like the bearings are the problem. If you know what you are doing take out the cranks and
> have a look at the bottom bracket, otherwise take it to your local bike shop.
>

> --

The initial description suggests a problem with the bottom bracket (BB). If you have wrecked the joint on your cranck arm where it holds on to the BB, tightenting won't help. But if this is a problem, crank keeps coming loose over and over.

Misalignment of the guide pulley and cogs causes noisy operration under all times. The gear change may be affected, and depending on the misalignment, chain may jump between gears under load. But these are all noisy. The BB problem is usually silent. Although such a problem is preceeded by creaking noise during pedalling. Creaks are the first signs when bearing-operated mechanisms need maintenance.

Apparently, there has been another problem with the drivetrain that seems to be fixed now. Your initial problem must still be with the BB.

The problem with cheap bikes is that they are not meant for high mileage. If you intend to keep on riding frequently, especially carrying someone important, why not upgrading to something worthwhile. Reliability is one gain, but comfort and improved functionality are other major benefits. That is of course if you want.

Originally posted by Marc_9
Yep, had a closer look at the rear derailuer and noticed the guide and 3rd gear weren't lined up
properly. I believe I adjusted it - new to all this. Maybe that might be the problem. Wont know
until I try it out on the road this arvo.

The bike is quite heavily used, and it is a relatively cheap mtbike. It's an Apollo LSR 1.0 from
2002 (purchased for $380 in 2003). Tourney gears and alum frame. I like though. I carry my 3 year
old on a child carrier to kindy several times a week. Done alot of work, and found I made back my
money in saved petrol costs in less than 10 to 11 months! This was not the reason why I bought the
bike in the first place, but it was a pleasant surprise. Find the marginally heavier frame gives a
more stable ride when carrying the bub in the back. My wife's Giant Boulder SE, which is about a
kilo lighter is not as good, particularly when being walked around with a 17kg kid on the back.
Regards marc

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "marc_9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My mtbike was bought a year ago and I have no problems with it. However over the last week or
> > so, my cranks appear to give a little. That is when I push/accelerate a little harder, it jumps
> > a forward slightly - maybe around 2 or 3mm. I tried tightening the crank retaining bolt, but to
> > no avail. Found it already tight. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions? Regards marc
>
> Sounds more like your freewheel is not engaging correctly. Common with cheap or heavily-used
> freewheels.
>
> Can you move the cranks with your hands when pushing each side in the opposite direction? i.e. do
> the cranks feel like they are moving when you push/pull them with your hands?
>
> hippy

Thanks everyone, Most of you were right about the crank bearings being worn out. Had them changed
yesterday. marc

"GPLama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> yup, I agree.. had to replace my bottom bracket on my Apollo LSX 1.4 (2002) after only 3000kms..
> it fell apart when it was removed...
>

> "Spider1977" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Marc_9 wrote:
> > > My mtbike was bought a year ago and I have no problems with it.
> However
> > > over the last week or so, my cranks appear to give a little. That is when I push/accelerate
> > > a little harder, it jumps a forward slightly - maybe around 2 or 3mm. I tried tightening the
> > > crank retaining bolt,
> but
> > > to no avail. Found it already tight. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions? Regards marc
> >

> > Sounds like the bearings are the problem. If you know what you are doing take out the cranks and
> > have a look at the bottom bracket, otherwise take it to your local bike shop.
> >

> > --

Most of the cheaper models have low quality bottom brackets that wear out well before the rest of
the bike, if the cranks are sloppy when you move them from left to right this is what it is. If you
have it replaced use a sealed unit. They cost a bit more but never wear out under normal use. P.S.
The giant boulder has a weakness in its back axle the quick release axle iss made of drop forged
plasticine and can bend and break at the most inconveinet time like mine did crossing four lanes of
traffic, its best to replace it with a quality solid axle before it does

Regards Matt

----- Original Message ----- From: marc_9 <[email protected]> Newsgroups: aus.bicycle Sent:
Saturday, January 31, 2004 10:31 PM Subject: cranks appear loose?