cranks destroys ankles?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by francisco, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. francisco

    francisco Guest

    every time I get a little rougher on the muni cross or drops I hurt my
    ankles on the cranks and get my socks dirty with blood. it really sucks
    `cause I hurt them almost every day. do you guys use protectors or you
    just get used to the cranks and don`t hit them? I need a solution. I`m
    getting out of clean socks.

    --
    francisco
    francisco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11493

  2. Erant

    Erant Guest

    Sounds like you have very little or no Q-factor on your cranks. You can
    also use the TSG shinguards with ankle-protection. I use those, and
    they're quite comfortable and keep your ankles pretty safe. The hopping
    about on one foot, clutching your ankle and swearing still happens from
    time to time (Not happened in over a month though), but it's certainly
    reduced it.

    --
    Erant

    Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
    Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986

  3. freddy

    freddy Guest

  4. markf

    markf Guest

    i have the 04 KH crank set, there's next to no q-factor on those. same
    with the black widow cranks on my muni. i wear the 661 dually shoes.
    they have a protective plastic cup around the ankle part of the hightop
    shoe. it's pretty awesome. there's also several ankle guards you could
    buy. but the shoes are awesome all around.

    --
    markf

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  5. dale_dale

    dale_dale Guest

  6. francisco

    francisco Guest

  7. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

  8. That happens to me sometimes when I switch from my Qu-ax muni to Nimbus
    trials. I think it is most likely technique, try to avoid having your
    foot angled on the pedal or so close to the crank. I also wear some
    socks that cover that area so when it does happen it isn't as bad.

    --
    carsonpalooza

    I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
    That site is making me drool.
    -Dave aka fcwegnm0b
    carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085

  9. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    andycookuk wrote:
    > Do Koxx cranks really clip ankles?
    >
    > Ouch!

    nope, koxx are perfectly straight and NO nub AT all

    --
    Evan Byrne

    "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper

    "My nuts are allways loose, i have to twist them with my fingers"
    -Spencer
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  10. andycookuk

    andycookuk Guest

  11. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    If there's anybody here who has never chewed up their ankles on their
    unicycle's cranks, I want to know about it. People who naturally walk
    with their toes angled outwards are more inclined to have this problem.
    Bill Jenack wrote about it in early USA Newsletters, and Jack Wiley
    covered it in his books.

    Stuff to do:
    - Wear high-tops, or shoes as described above with ankle protection
    - Wear leg armor. It *might* protect that area(?)
    - If your cranks have square edges, get rounder ones.
    - Practice (your ankles will adapt or perish!)

    Q-factor: In this case, whether or not the cranks angle outward from
    where they attach to the axle. For more info look it up.

    Nub: I believe this refers to some splined cranks with no q-factor,
    which have an annoying part that sticks out at the axle and be worse on
    the ankles than a regular pair of cotterless cranks.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

  12. I wear lightweight hiking boots which have good grippy soles, and a very
    nice, padded ankle covering. If you also wear shin guards, like 661
    4x4's as I do, make sure your high tops are only high enough to cover
    your ankles, or the 661's won't go down far enough to fit roght.:)

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Terry
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  13. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    my torker splined cranks have zero q-factor. and i dont hit my ankles at
    all. and there is a good quarter inch nub. im just used to it i guess.
    heres a picture

    |Filename: unicycle 002.jpg |

    manon1wheel

    pure trials
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  14. giraffe

    giraffe Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > If there's anybody here who has never chewed up their ankles on their
    > unicycle's cranks, I want to know about it.

    i have only ever once hit my ankles on a 6stair side hop, i was riding
    a kh 20" 04 at the time:rolleyes:

    --
    giraffe
    giraffe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9372

  15. trials2k

    trials2k Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > If there's anybody here who has never chewed up their ankles on their
    > unicycle's cranks, I want to know about it.

    i guess that would be me, my kh 05 is great no nub and i have never hit
    my ankle on the cranks at all !

    --
    trials2k

    Live and Die on a uni;) **
    trials2k's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11354

  16. manu2015

    manu2015 Guest

    Hi,

    I have been riding a qu-ax trial for 8 months. I totally understand
    what you are talking about, as the first protection i ever needed on a
    unicycle (after wearing maintaining underwears...) are ankle
    protections.
    The part of the hub that leaves out in the crank skinned my ankle so
    often that i had to stop riding. Now i have 2 and 3 rounded scares on
    my ankles.

    I found a strange material that i cutted into a spunge shape to cover
    my ankles and sewed rubber bands so it doesn't move. I put that under
    my socks. This way, i don't suffer anymore. But i guess buying ankle
    protections would have had the same result.

    Manuel

    --
    manu2015
    manu2015's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9834

  17. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > If there's anybody here who has never chewed up their ankles on their
    > unicycle's cranks, I want to know about it. People who naturally walk
    > with their toes angled outwards are more inclined to have this problem.
    > Bill Jenack wrote about it in early USA Newsletters, and Jack Wiley
    > covered it in his books.

    I have a walking pattern very similar to a duck. My toes point way to
    the side, and I noticed when getting serious about practicing rolling
    hops that my ankles turned into a big, broosen scab. I had to skip
    riding for several days as a mere touch to my ankle would send throbing
    pain through it.

    I've kind of adjusted now, but I'm still not perfect. I'm cheap, so I
    didn't buy any protection, and I'm too lazy, so I didn't make any
    protection. Instead I've tried to fix my crooked feet by paying
    atention to how I put them on the pedal and even how I walk around.
    It's helped quite a bit, but I still look funny when I walk.

    --
    Spudman

    *| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
    *| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
    *| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . . .*X*
    <--Chosen's spot
    *| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
    *|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
    (http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
    rendered by forrest. . . . . A spot for Evan Byrne--> *X*
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  18. pete66

    pete66 Guest

    I had huge problems riding an 03 KH24 (old skool big nubs), kept
    knocking and bleeding from just riding but then a week or so later I'd
    somehow adapted so that it didn't happen anymore.

    So my advice is if this is a new problem you should do a few more
    laundry runs of the bloody socks but if it's been going for more than a
    couple months then buy ankle support or new cranks.

    --
    pete66
    pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

  19. pete66