cranks go backwards?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andy Kriger, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Andy Kriger

    Andy Kriger Guest

    When I roll my bike backwards, the cranks turn backwards. As far as I know (and I could easily be
    wrong about this), the cranks shouldn't turn when my bike rolls backwards (it's not a fixie). So, do
    I need to overall my freehub? my rear hub?

    thx andy

    Tags:

  2. "Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When I roll my bike backwards, the cranks turn backwards. As far as I know (and I could easily be
    > wrong about this), the cranks shouldn't turn when
    my
    > bike rolls backwards (it's not a fixie). So, do I need to overall my
    freehub?
    > my rear hub?
    >
    > thx andy

    Nope. What's happening is normal. When you roll the bike backwards, the pawls in the freehub grab
    causing the crank to turn backwards. When you rotate the cranks backwards by hand, the pawls don't
    grab. So everything's
    O.K., not to worry.

  3. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Andy Kriger writes:

    > When I roll my bike backwards, the cranks turn backwards. As far as I know (and I could easily be
    > wrong about this), the cranks shouldn't turn when my bike rolls backwards (it's not a fixie). So,
    > do I need to overall my freehub? my rear hub?

    If your cranks turn forward when you push the bicycle forward then you have a non-free freewheel.
    That would require your attention. What rotation do you expect your freewheel to resist?

  4. On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:34:41 +0000, Andy Kriger wrote:

    > When I roll my bike backwards, the cranks turn backwards. As far as I know (and I could easily be
    > wrong about this), the cranks shouldn't turn when my bike rolls backwards (it's not a fixie). So,
    > do I need to overall my freehub? my rear hub?

    Uh, no. That is normal.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

  5. Well, andy, you were RIGHT when you wrote this "(and I could easily be wrong about this), " :)

    The cranks ARE supposed to rotate backwards. If they didn't, how could you pedal the bike forwards?

    Hope you are out riding today and having a great time.

    Lewis.

  6. In article <Py3Ja.4348$%[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    > Andy Kriger writes:
    >
    > > When I roll my bike backwards, the cranks turn backwards. As far as I know (and I could easily
    > > be wrong about this), the cranks shouldn't turn when my bike rolls backwards (it's not a fixie).
    > > So, do I need to overall my freehub? my rear hub?
    >
    > If your cranks turn forward when you push the bicycle forward then you have a non-free freewheel.
    > That would require your attention. What rotation do you expect your freewheel to resist?

    There is one extremely oddball exception, worth mentioning mainly for the curiosity value. Some
    freestyle BMX bikes are designed with "freecoasters", hubs that do not turn the cranks when the rear
    wheel moves backwards. This is because in some tricks, the bicycle is moving backwards.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >There is one extremely oddball exception, worth mentioning mainly for the curiosity value. Some
    >freestyle BMX bikes are designed with "freecoasters", hubs that do not turn the cranks when the
    >rear wheel moves backwards. This is because in some tricks, the bicycle is moving backwards.

    Interesting. I wonder how these work. How do they catch when you are pedaling?
    ------------
    Alex

  8. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > In article <Py3Ja.4348$%[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > Andy Kriger writes:
    > >
    > > > When I roll my bike backwards, the cranks turn backwards. As far as I know (and I could easily
    > > > be wrong about this), the cranks shouldn't turn when my bike rolls backwards (it's not a
    > > > fixie). So, do I need to overall my freehub? my rear hub?
    > >
    > > If your cranks turn forward when you push the bicycle forward then you have a non-free
    > > freewheel. That would require your attention. What rotation do you expect your freewheel to
    > > resist?
    >
    > There is one extremely oddball exception, worth mentioning mainly for the curiosity value. Some
    > freestyle BMX bikes are designed with "freecoasters", hubs that do not turn the cranks when the
    > rear wheel moves backwards. This is because in some tricks, the bicycle is moving backwards.
    >
    > --
    > Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

    Some freeriders that do bmx style stunts have been putting rings of PVC in place of one of their
    smaller chainrings so they don't have to backpedal on landing, too. Apparently it works pretty
    well, but it must be kind of disconcerting to shift into your little "ring" and have your cranks
    just spin....

    Jon Bond

  9. Andy Kriger

    Andy Kriger Guest

    Andy Kriger <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > When I roll my bike backwards, the cranks turn backwards. As far as I know (and I could easily be
    > wrong about this), the cranks shouldn't turn when my bike rolls backwards (it's not a fixie). So,
    > do I need to overall my freehub? my rear hub?
    >
    > thx andy

    thx for all the responses (and so gentle too). like i said - "could easily be wrong" (and WAS).
    maybe i'm not taking in enough cals and my brain is becoming extra fuzzy or maybe the grey wet skies
    of NYC (what is this Seattle?) are getting to me.

    -a

  10. Is this a troll post? LOL! When you roll thre bike BACKWARDS, it's no different, mechanically, than
    if you turn the cranks FORWARDS.

    You're engaging the pawls either way. IOW, there's nothing wrong with your freewheel, do not attempt
    to adjust the picture...

  11. Stefan Recke

    Stefan Recke Guest

    This is normal cause the cranks drive the chain, when you pedal forward. If you roll the bike
    backwards, the casette drives the chain. It is the same principle. Different direction means
    different Rotation, because in both cases the power grabs in the same way between hub and casette.
    And the source of power is the opposite one in the respective case.

    "Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When I roll my bike backwards, the cranks turn backwards. As far as I know (and I could easily be
    > wrong about this), the cranks shouldn't turn when
    my
    > bike rolls backwards (it's not a fixie). So, do I need to overall my
    freehub?
    > my rear hub?
    >
    > thx andy

  12. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] says...
    >
    > >Some freestyle BMX bikes are designed with "freecoasters", hubs that do not turn the cranks when
    > >the rear wheel moves backwards.
    >
    > Interesting. I wonder how these work. How do they catch when you are pedaling?

    The drive mechanism is the same as any coaster brake hub-- that is, by friction between conical
    surfaces drawn tightly against each other by pedaling. The difference is that the braking mechanism,
    which works in the same way when the pedals are rotated backwards, has been neutered in a
    freecoaster.

    No coaster-braked bike will revolve its pedals backwards on being rolled backwards unless the drive
    is engaged at the time.

    Chalo Colina