• 172.5mm

Votes: 184 21.5%
  • 175mm

Votes: 305 35.7%
  • 180mm

Votes: 353 41.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Ted B
This is happening on one bike and not the other because you need to optimize your saddle height for the bike that is the recipient of the crank change.

See my post here:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t54948.html

Thanks for the reference, you're quite right, It's likely that the seat height needs to change. My LBS fitted me on both bikes (the training bike had 170mm cranks at the time), so I'm expecting the problem with the knees to go away after the re-fit. It seems that seat height is always a good starting point when problems with the knees occur.

But does seat height also account for the change in pedalling dynamics and loss of speed? If so how? I haven't discounted the idea that I might need to ease off after several weeks of training.

Regards Nick

Originally posted by njeitner It seems that seat height is always a good starting point when problems with the knees occur. But does seat height also account for the change in pedalling dynamics and loss of speed? If so how?

I have found that my performance is quite sensitive to saddle height. I'm a weight lifter, and my strength with respect to range of motion is very good. Even so, I definitely perform better on a bike when my saddle height is adjusted so that my resting position on the saddle centers my pedaling motion right in the strongest range of thigh movement (which is fairly narrow). I learned this the hard way when found that I couldn't perform as well on my racing bike as my training bike. That's changed now that I have my racing bike set up properly (which I did myself).

If you have not done so already, you should carefully take the femur measurement I described just a few posts ago in this thread. Tell us what you get.

Crank length should be related to leg length , too long and you can´t get the high 90 - 100 rpm cadence that roadies use , too long does help on the climbs for some but it does put a lot more stress on knees . ¿ When you climb do you stand on the pedals or say seated? , Alex Zulle used to use 175´s and then 180 ´s for time trials and mountain stages but he was an extreme example .

Originally posted by el Inglés
Crank length should be related to leg length , too long and you can´t get the high 90 - 100 rpm cadence that roadies use , too long does help on the climbs for some but it does put a lot more stress on knees . ¿ When you climb do you stand on the pedals or say seated? , Alex Zulle used to use 175´s and then 180 ´s for time trials and mountain stages but he was an extreme example .
I've now been riding my training bike with 175mm cranks for close to a week. In that time I'd had my LBS adjust my fit and ride the new setup without pushing too hard.

My observations are that this bike (training) requires more effort than the other (racing) and that the previous crank length help to mask this. Also, that I'm feeling the effects of the extra effort in slightly different areas of my legs.

On my regular (hills) training ride this morning I found that I've now picked up the pace and cadence compared to my first ride (after changing the cranks). I normally approach these climbs by staying seated only standing if the climbs short (200m) and steep or for the last 30 metres or so

I haven’t managed to measure my femur length yet, but will... However my "leg length" measurement is 80cm (31.5"). According the table referenced in Ant Evan’s original posting that puts me around the 165mm mark! Since I was getting good results racing on 175mm I thought I experiment a little.

I wonder if the change has brought out a deficiency in my training? It's early days....

Originally posted by njeitner
I've now been riding my training bike with 175mm cranks for close to a week...Also, that I'm feeling the effects of the extra effort in slightly different areas of my legs...I haven’t managed to measure my femur length yet, but will... However my "leg length" measurement is 80cm (31.5"). According the table referenced in Ant Evan’s original posting that puts me around the 165mm mark!

Well, my inseam is right about where yours is, but the effective femur length is important here (mine is around 53cm). That being said, the most liberal estimates put my ideal length around 172.5mm. I've ridden 175mm comfortably at 90-100rpm for long distances, and for a dedicated time trial bike (relatively constant speed), I'd probably opt for that length. For road use with frequent speed changes, I'd prefer 172.5.

If you're used to riding 170mm, in using 175mm you will be using parts of muscles you've not been using previously, and hence the different feeling.

If you're used to riding 170mm, in using 175mm you will be using parts of muscles you've not been using previously, and hence the different feeling.
Will this be the same changing from 170mm to 172.5s??? at the moment i feel like im flying on the 170s and wouldnt want to go up to 172.5 and find i lose performance...

Originally posted by Lasalles
Will this be the same changing from 170mm to 172.5s??? at the moment i feel like im flying on the 170s and wouldnt want to go up to 172.5 and find i lose performance...

Well, the 172.5 will understandibly feel not quite as different to you as the 175. If you're finding that you prefer the 170mm, then stick with those. If you try a larger crank, train with it for awhile and gauge your performance. Unless you see an improvement, there is no real reason to change, especially since I am guessing that your measurements may not support going to a larger crank. It is fortunate however that you read this thread, as at least now you are aware that your two bikes have different length cranks. Some degree of cut and try testing is always going to be required where finding optimum crank length is concerned.

Cleats.... I have just changed my cleats from one extreme to the other. I was wearing them at the wrong extreme and had never really bothered much with them till tonight.

I realized they were too far in the middle of my foot, and have now moved them a good 8mm the other way.

This in effect will be like a crank change won't it?

I've delayed changing my cranks from 175mms to 170mm as I have one more race next week.

Just wondering how this cleat change is going to make me feel.

My 175mm cranks will feel shorter now? Or longer? I'm not sure....

Confusing!!!!

Hopefully the change is going to result in a faster speed next week anyway....

Originally posted by JAPANic
Cleats....I realized they were too far in the middle of my foot, and have now moved them a good 8mm the other way...This in effect will be like a crank change won't it?...My 175mm cranks will feel shorter now? Or longer? I'm not sure....

If your cleats were too far back, you'd never get the pedaling efficiency you should have. Now that they are positioned more correctly, you will have less movement at the knee per pedal stroke, which should feel like a shorter crank. You should however have more leverage per pedal stroke, as the human foot is designed to apply the bulk of force near the ball of the foot, not further back. Also, since they were positioned too far back, you may start feeling your calf muscles working more now.

Well, my inseam is right about where yours is, but the effective femur length is important here (mine is around 53cm). That being said, the most liberal estimates put my ideal length around 172.5mm. I've ridden 175mm comfortably at 90-100rpm for long distances, and for a dedicated time trial bike (relatively constant speed), I'd probably opt for that length. For road use with frequent speed changes, I'd prefer 172.5.

I have to agree, measuring my femur I had a length of 540mm which, indicates a crank length of 175mm. I've started to pick up the training intensity to stress the new setup and found that I'm getting use to it. My early impressions are that speed on the flats will benefit fairly quickly but hills may take some more getting use to.

Earlier I had said that the shorter cranks may have mask some deficiencies in my training. I've been paying special attention to this and experimenting with my pedalling technique. I've found that I need use much more even power across the full 360(deg) of the pedalling stroke to achieve something close to the same cadence I had on the shorter cranks. I've always been aware that I grind more than spin, so this might be exactly what I need to develop a better technique.

I'd like to thanks you guys for your help and suggestions. I'll add an update to this thread once I've spent more time training on the 175's.

I usually ride 180s because I feel they give me a little more leverage on the climbs. Since I'm pretty tall (6'5") I don't really notice the additional length and spinning them is no problem.

Originally posted by njeitner
I've always been aware that I grind more than spin, so this might be exactly what I need to develop a better technique.
Shouldnt it be the other way round...If your not good at spinning you would become worse with a longer crank... Not that you need to be able to spin to be any good.
I think il be sticking with the 170s, Better the devil i know that i dont know...

Originally posted by Lasalles
Shouldnt it be the other way round...If your not good at spinning you would become worse with a longer crank... Not that you need to be able to spin to be any good.
I think il be sticking with the 170s, Better the devil i know that i dont know...

i think you said the same thing.

the first sentence of the paragraph you quoted says that the shorter cranks mask the deficiences (i.e. easier to spin). they would become more obvious with longer cranks and this could help them improve vs. the shorter crank.

Originally posted by drewski
i think you said the same thing.

the first sentence of the paragraph you quoted says that the shorter cranks mask the deficiences (i.e. easier to spin). they would become more obvious with longer cranks and this could help them improve vs. the shorter crank.
A little clarification may be in order....

I was judging the new setup based on what my cadence use to be and trying to get back to that level. I found that if I even'd out the pedal stroke by applying constant power across the full 360 degrees, I could acheive a higher cadence. I hadn't considered doing this before because I thought I had a reasonable spinning technique with the shorter cranks.

When training I've been concentrating on position and cadence, not the eveness of my pedal stroke. The new cranks have made me aware of new things to consider when training.

Nick

I've got very long legs and just love my 180 Dura Ace cranks. I love hills and do some time trials. My saddle is 34" from the center of the BB. It did take a few hundred miles to adjust from 175 to 180 but now I can feel like I run out of crank before leg with 175 :- )

Well, I dropped back from 175 to 170 not expecting a big difference....

First reaction.... a tight pedalling action and a loss of balance.....

Only a day now, will see how my times are affected over the next few weeks....

Time trial December 6th, if I lose a lot of speed I will swictch back.....

175/177.5 depending on purpose -- Crit/RR/TT etc.

There's no selection for 177.5

Originally posted by J-MAT
Kristian:

There is a slight physiological cost due to the fact your legs have to travel in bigger circles. Muscle-fiber composition is not a consideration.

The Velo News study tested a variety of riders, from a short 5 ft tall female to a tall male over 6'3." ALL the riders went faster on 180 mm cranks.

Look at the evidence over the years. Even if a top rider did not go to 180's when switching cranks, they did INCREASE the length of the cranks for important high-power events.

throwing fresh fuel on the fire of cranks and speed: clearly, for any given amount of force, applying that force over a greater distance results in a greater total amount of work being done (very elementary so far) the result is that it is possible to apply more torque around the bottom bracket axle and therfore to run a higher gear. obviously the net result, at a given cadence, is to go faster.

newton being newton, and thermodynamics being thermodynamics, energy cannot be created, only transferred. this means that do do more work on the pedals, you have to do more work with your legs. this may take the form of travelling further (bigger circles, proportional to twice their radius, and hence twice the amount of increase in the crank length, hence twice the amount of work per leg) or pedalling faster. the only difference in the amount of total work expended over a given route at a given raod speed relates to the energy wasted as heat. this occurs either due to friction in the bearings of the bottom bracket (the loss in high cadence approaches) or deflections in the metals of the drive parts (the loss for high ratio approaches and long cranks) those using long cranks to push high gears at high cadences are probably introducing more potential for energy loss. not to metion potential weight gains assosciated with larger parts (ok all fairly small fish for the everyday rider!)

this is all fine if you're going to be working at near maximal energy throughout your ride, and your only concern is to get there as fast as possible. for riding in packs, at sub maximal effort, there is little value in doing more total work, and carrying more weight, and therefore pushing big cranks.

Originally posted by octagon
throwing fresh fuel on the fire of cranks and speed: clearly, for any given amount of force, applying that force over a greater distance results in a greater total amount of work being done (very elementary so far) the result is that it is possible to apply more torque around the bottom bracket axle and therfore to run a higher gear. obviously the net result, at a given cadence, is to go faster.

newton being newton, and thermodynamics being thermodynamics, energy cannot be created, only transferred. this means that do do more work on the pedals, you have to do more work with your legs. this may take the form of travelling further (bigger circles, proportional to twice their radius, and hence twice the amount of increase in the crank length, hence twice the amount of work per leg) or pedalling faster. the only difference in the amount of total work expended over a given route at a given raod speed relates to the energy wasted as heat. this occurs either due to friction in the bearings of the bottom bracket (the loss in high cadence approaches) or deflections in the metals of the drive parts (the loss for high ratio approaches and long cranks) those using long cranks to push high gears at high cadences are probably introducing more potential for energy loss. not to metion potential weight gains assosciated with larger parts (ok all fairly small fish for the everyday rider!)

this is all fine if you're going to be working at near maximal energy throughout your ride, and your only concern is to get there as fast as possible. for riding in packs, at sub maximal effort, there is little value in doing more total work, and carrying more weight, and therefore pushing big cranks.

This is a really interesting thread, especially as I am about to go for a fitting for my new bike. Thanks everyone. I am 183 cm with an 89.5 cm inseam and am currently riding a 170mm crank. It has always felt too small for me and the bike shop doing the fitting said I should go at least 175. Perhaps I will test the 180 too.

Regarding power output, I looked for this on the web and found the following info:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11417428&dopt=Abstract Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001 May;84(5):413-8. Martin JC, Spirduso WW.
The purpose of this investigation was to determine the effects of cycle crank length on maximum cycling power, optimal pedaling rate, and optimal pedal speed, and to determine the optimal crank length to leg length ratio for maximal power production. Trained cyclists (n = 16) performed maximal inertial load cycle ergometry using crank lengths of 120, 145, 170, 195, and 220 mm. Maximum power ranged from a low of 1149 (20) W for the 220-mm cranks to a high of 1194 (21) W for the 145-mm cranks. Power produced with the 145- and 170-mm cranks was significantly (P < 0.05) greater than that produced with the 120- and 220-mm cranks. The optimal pedaling rate decreased significantly with increasing crank length, from 136 rpm for the 120-mm cranks to 110 rpm for the 220-mm cranks. Conversely, optimal pedal speed increased significantly with increasing crank length, from 1.71 m/s for the 120-mm cranks to 2.53 m/s for the 220-mm cranks. The crank length to leg length and crank length to tibia length ratios accounted for 20.5% and 21.1% of the variability in maximum power, respectively. The optimal crank length was 20% of leg length or 41% of tibia length. These data suggest that pedal speed (which constrains muscle shortening velocity) and pedaling rate (which affects muscle excitation state) exert distinct effects that influence muscular power during cycling. Even though maximum cycling power was significantly affected by crank length, use of the standard 170-mm length cranks should not substantially compromise maximum power in most adults.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12904940&dopt=Abstract Exp Brain Res. 2003 Oct;152(3):393-403. Epub 2003 Aug 01. Mileva K, Turner D
Neuromuscular and biomechanical coupling in human cycling: adaptations to changes in crank length.
This study exploited the alterations in pedal speed and joints kinematics elicited by changing crank length (CL) to test how altered task mechanics during cycling will modulate the muscle activation characteristics in human rectus femoris (RF), biceps femoris long head (BF), soleus (SOL) and tibialis anterior (TA). Kinetic (torque), kinematic (joint angle) and muscle activity (EMG) data were recorded simultaneously from both legs of 10 healthy adults (aged 20-38 years) during steady-state cycling at ~60 rpm and 90-100 W with three symmetrical CLs (155 mm, 175 mm and 195 mm). The CL elongation (DeltaCL) resulted in similar increases in the knee joint angles and angular velocities during extension and flexion, whilst the ankle joint kinematics was significantly influenced only during extension. DeltaCL resulted in significantly reduced amplitude and prolonged duration of BF EMG, increased mean SOL and TA EMG amplitudes, and shortened SOL activity time. RF activation parameters and TA activity duration were not significantly affected by DeltaCL. Thus total SOL and RF EMG activities were similar with different CLs, presumably enabling steady power output during extension. Higher pedal speeds demand an increased total TA EMG activity and decreased total BF activity to propel the leg through flexion into extension with a greater degree of control over joint stability. We concluded that the proprioceptive information about the changes in the cycling kinematics is used by central neural structures to adapt the activation parameters of the individual muscles to the kinetic demands of the ongoing movement, depending on their biomechanical function.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12231284&dopt=Abstract J Biomech. 2002 Oct;35(10):1387-98. Zamparo P, Minetti A, di Prampero P.
Mechanical efficiency of cycling with a new developed pedal-crank.
The mechanical efficiency of cycling with a new pedal-crank prototype (PP) was investigated during an incremental test on a stationary cycloergometer. The efficiency values were compared with those obtained, in the same experimental conditions and with the same subjects, by using a standard pedal-crank system (SP). The main feature of this prototype is that its pedal-crank length changes as a function of the crank angle being maximal during the pushing phase and minimal during the recovery one. This variability was expected to lead to a decrease in the energy requirement of cycling since, for any given thrust, the torque exerted by the pushing leg is increased while the counter-torque exerted by the contra-lateral one is decreased. Whereas no significant differences were found between the two pedal-cranks at low exercise intensities (w*=50-200 W), at 250-300 W the oxygen uptake (V*O2, W) was found to be significantly lower and the efficiency (eta=w*/V*O2) about 2% larger (p<0.05, Wilcoxon test) in the case of PP. Even if the measured difference in efficiency was rather small, it can be calculated that an athlete riding a bicycle equipped with the patented pedal-crank could improve his 1h record by about 1 km.

Actually there are plenty of interesting academic articles on this site. Go to the first one above and click on the "Related articles" link to see the whole slew...