Crankset Options

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kerry Nikolaise, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. I have a Fuji Suncrest Mountain bike which has been converted to my commuting steed. It has Deore
    f/r der, 7-speed cassete and the original exage 300lx crankset (Biopace 28-38-48). I am thinking of
    a minor upgrade in order to do some weekend light-med loaded touring.

    Presently, I am only considering upgrading the crankset and am considering the following
    two options:

    1.) Completely new triple crankset (Sugino) 28-38-48.

    2.) New Crankset (Campy Veloce or 105) for my Road bike (Tiagra Triple), and adding the Tiagra
    Crankarms with new 28-38-48 chainrings to the Fuji.

    IIRC, both bikes use square tapered BBs. I believe the Tiagra is 113 with
    3/74 and the Exage is 121 with 110/74.

    Questions:

    4.) Are either of the two options technically doable?
    5.) Anyone know where to find chainrings fittable to 130/74 in 28-38-48. I am not opposed to smaller
    size, but these seem to be perfect for my commute.
    6.) Any other options that won't break the bank?

    Kerry Nikolaisen

    Tags: