Crankset upgrade?

Goose5

Mar 4, 2009
I have a three year old Cannondale Synapse that has a cheapy FSA BB30 crankset. I want to upgrade to either Force or Red. My LBS's are not interested in competing with Ebay prices, but they're happy to install it for me. Just exactly what do I need to get to complete this upgrade?

Originally Posted by Goose5
Just exactly what do I need to get to complete this upgrade?
That's what the LBS is there for.

Probably either a new bottom bracket or an adapter to mate the BB30 bearings with the SRAM GXP spindle. Can't tell for sure because I'm not looking at the bike.

I have a three year old Cannondale Synapse that has a cheapy FSA BB30 crankset. I want to upgrade to either Force or Red. My LBS's are not interested in competing with Ebay prices, but they're happy to install it for me. Just exactly what do I need to get to complete this upgrade?
Are the BB bearings shot?

Is the FSA BB30 crankset THAT BAD?!?

OR, will the SRAM crank be that much better?

Nothing wrong with cosmetic changes, BTW.

Aren't there any YouTube videos which will show you what you need?

Why not support your LBS? Take the bike in, like a guy with experience order what you need, and install it right for you. You could spend lots of time trying to buy the right stuff online, and then end up wasting money on the wrong parts. If they make a few bucks on the parts, and it helps them keep the doors open, that's not a bad thing.

And if money is a concern, why would you even think about "upgrading" a perfectly good crankset? I'm running a 10 yr old FSA "Team Carbon" crank, and it still works just fine. Your current crank is easy to service when it comes time to replace bearings and chainrings. Why would a switch to a Sram crankset be an upgrade anyway? It's nothing you'll notice when riding the bike.

Originally Posted by dhk2

And if money is a concern, why would you even think about "upgrading" a perfectly good crankset? I'm running a 10 yr old FSA "Team Carbon" crank, and it still works just fine. Your current crank is easy to service when it comes time to replace bearings and chainrings. Why would a switch to a Sram crankset be an upgrade anyway? It's nothing you'll notice when riding the bike.
Good point. I used an FSA Gossamer crank for two seasons without a complaint--well, the bottom bracket crapped out, but our service manager fixed that by pressing some Phil Wood bearings into the FSA cups, and I had the best non-ceramic bottom bracket money could buy.