Crankset??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by H. M. Leary, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    Can I replace a compact ( 94mm bolt pattern ) with a standard ( 110 ) crankset?

    What is required besides cranks/ bb?

    MTIA

  2. H. M. Leary wrote:
    > Can I replace a compact ( 94mm bolt pattern ) with a standard ( 110 ) crankset?

    Yep.

    > What is required besides cranks/ bb?

    Assuming you'll be going to a larger big ring, your present front derailer won't be optimal, but
    still might be acceptable if the difference isn't too great (also depending on your skill level.)

    See: the "front" section of my derailer adjustment article:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front

    Sheldon "Bench Grinder" Brown +-------------------------------------+
    | One can never know what is enough | until one knows what is too much. | --William Blake |
    +-------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can I replace a compact ( 94mm bolt pattern ) with a standard ( 110 ) crankset?
    >
    > What is required besides cranks/ bb?

    You may want to consider the shape/size of your front changer. If you're running a 44t outer now and
    change to a 52 it will need a lot of clearance as the curve won't match. Within a couple of teeth
    it'll be fine.