Cranksets

krs333

Jun 14, 2010
How would I go about choosing the correct crankset for a single speed bike and bottom bracket. I am new to this and just picked up a Raleigh frame. Looking to get a all balck cranset. Any help would be great.

Thanks

krs333 said:
How would I go about choosing the correct crankset for a single speed bike and bottom bracket. I am new to this and just picked up a Raleigh frame. Looking to get a all balck cranset. Any help would be great.
What is the vintage of your Raleigh frame?

Most Raleigh frames use an ENGLISH threaded BB -- the BB shell will be 68mm wide.

Some older Raleigh frames (e.g. Record frames from before 1980 to give a vague time frame) use Raleigh's proprietary BB. Those frames will have a 71mm (?) wide BB shell, so they will be relatively easy to identify.

The typical crankset installation for a SS utilizes a standard ROAD Double crank, but the single chainring is usually installed on the inner shoulder of the spider to achieve a close-to-ideal chainline.

BTW. Different hubs have different flange widths & that can affect the relative location of the SS Freewheel.

FSA makes Black cranksets ... they are/(were) available for just about any BB type.

Any good easy way to measure what I need instead of taking the frame to a bike shop?

krs333 said:
Any good easy way to measure what I need instead of taking the frame to a bike shop?
Well, you can use the METRIC edge on a 12" ruler ...

Post a picture of the bike -- it will indicate the vintage which will reveal whether it has an English BB or a proprietary Raleigh BB.

BTW. Is the frame steel or aluminum? If it is aluminum, then the frame has an English BB.

Well the frame is not aliminum for sure. I could not take a pic since I could not find my memory stick. I did measure the outside portion were the BB will go and it is about 1 1/2 wide. The inner portion measures about 1 1/4. Hope this helps..

krs333 said:
Well the frame is not aliminum for sure. I could not take a pic since I could not find my memory stick. I did measure the outside portion were the BB will go and it is about 1 1/2 wide. The inner portion measures about 1 1/4. Hope this helps..
Neither number is meaningful.

FYI. There is a 99% probability that your frame has an English threaded BB shell ...

What you will need to determine is YOUR BUDGET + the chainring & cog COMBINATION that you want to use -- 42x16 is a popular setup.