CRASH! It's not worth $6,000 any more :-(

Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:
> "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>S o r n i wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, well, such is life. At least we were out there riding, and not
>>> down
>>> in a nice safe basement spinning away.
>>>
>>> Back north of I-8 where he belongs, Bill S.

>>Miles a year ago, now this. Hmmmm, I'm beginning to see a common
>>thread here, Bill. Keep beating the snot out of your ride partners
>>and you may just wind up alone in the basement spinning away. Who's
>>left, your cat?

> I asked him that very question. His response?
>
> "It's just another advantage of being the slow one on the ride!"
>
> Priceless.

:)

Hmm...I'm slow, so I'll be keeping this in mind next time I'm pushing up the
rear. Good for me.

Glad you're okay, Neil.

Rich <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'll be the one to state the obvious. For The Record, whether
>> that bike needs repairs or total replacement, the cager is liable. File a
>> claim with his insurance company ASAP.

>I don't really know, but I'm thinking his auto insurance will NOT cover
>it, as he wasn't moving at the time (and he wasnt' even driving). Which
>means maybe he'll have to come up with the money out of his own pocket?
>
>As I said, I'm not sure, but woudl be interested in knowing.
>
>Rich

I'll sure keep you all posted on that. It'll be ten days before the
police report is available to me. The driver, I'm told, *was*
insured.

I'm going ahead with all necessary bike repairs. I don't anticipate a
problem getting the bike repairs and the medical expenses covered by
the driver's insurance. That's really all I want, but I'm not going
away without it....

S o r n i wrote:

> Mike Kruger wrote:
>
>>"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>>Buy cast iron cookware so she can't throw it as far.

>>That's bad thinking. Trust me - buy aluminum.

> Or Ti. (That way the dents can be banged out?)

304 stainless steel has very high ductility/formability.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

[email protected] wrote:

> Okay, I'll be the one to state the obvious. For The Record,

whether
> that bike needs repairs or total replacement, the cager is liable.

File a
> claim with his insurance company ASAP.
>
> Bill

Since he called the police who called for EMS and he subsequently went
to the hospital, I'd say the advice to contact the motorist's insurance
company is unnecessary. He knows enough to call the police but not
enough to contact the insurer? Unlikely.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Until I read Sorni's follow up I was getting a little confused.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

He was "in actual and physical control of the vehicle". The insurance
pays.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Neil Brooks wrote:

> FLING! The door bursts wide open at the exact moment I enter its
> radius . . . at about 18mph.>

18mph in a area with parked cars . . . that's just crazy.

"D2" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Neil Brooks wrote:
>
>> FLING! The door bursts wide open at the exact moment I enter its
>> radius . . . at about 18mph.>

>18mph in a area with parked cars . . . that's just crazy.

I'm not sure *exactly* what you mean. I was at the outer edge of the
door zone, apparently -- not quite taking the entire lane. My bike
missed the door. The right side of my body did not.

Is it safe to assume that you mean that riding in the door zone at
18mph is crazy? If so, then I have to agree . . . now :-(

If, OTOH, you mean that taking a lane and riding 18mph while there are
parked cars to your right is crazy, I don't think so. In fact, if I
can match the speed of traffic while taking the lane (presuming I'm
not exceeding posted speed limits <g>), I will.

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'll be the one to state the obvious. For The Record,

>whether
>> that bike needs repairs or total replacement, the cager is liable.

>File a
>> claim with his insurance company ASAP.
>>
>> Bill

>Since he called the police who called for EMS and he subsequently went
>to the hospital, I'd say the advice to contact the motorist's insurance
>company is unnecessary. He knows enough to call the police but not
>enough to contact the insurer? Unlikely.

With me, it's never safe to assume adequate intelligence for anything.

That said, I am all over this one. I've even sent inquiries to a
couple of the "bike accident specialty" law firms. I'll pay a few
bucks for their expertise -- not to figure out how to F the driver.
Just to make sure I thoroughly understand my rights, my
responsibilities, and every element of the process.

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>He was "in actual and physical control of the vehicle". The insurance
>pays.

Another thing I hope none of you ever needs to use . . . but that
makes me smile:

California Vehicle Code Section 22517 states:

"No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the
side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to
do so and can be done without interfering with the movement
of such traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open upon
the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of
time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers."

Sweet. Is it just me . . . or do I smell fresh titanium . . . . <g>

Neil Brooks wrote:
> "D2" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Neil Brooks wrote:
> >
> >> FLING! The door bursts wide open at the exact moment I enter its
> >> radius . . . at about 18mph.>

> >18mph in a area with parked cars . . . that's just crazy.

> I'm not sure *exactly* what you mean. I was at the outer edge of the
> door zone, apparently -- not quite taking the entire lane. My bike
> missed the door. The right side of my body did not.
>
> Is it safe to assume that you mean that riding in the door zone at
> 18mph is crazy? If so, then I have to agree . . . now :-(
>
> If, OTOH, you mean that taking a lane and riding 18mph while there

are
> parked cars to your right is crazy, I don't think so. In fact, if I
> can match the speed of traffic while taking the lane (presuming I'm
> not exceeding posted speed limits <g>), I will.

Yeah, I meant riding in the door zone at that speed was probably not a
great idea, but then you probably know that better than anyone now.

I've had too many close calls with nitwits in vehicles and I'm probably
a little over cautious around cars so my speed is on the conservative
side when I'm around traffic.

But. . .sorry to hear about the bike but it's cool that you're okay.

Sorry about your crash, but I can definitely say that I am giving car
doors a lot more room after reading about it. Glad you are okay.

catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sorry about your crash, but I can definitely say that I am giving car
>doors a lot more room after reading about it. Glad you are okay.

Thanks much . . . and thanks to all the r.b.m'ers who -- better than
anybody -- understand what it all meant.

************************* UPDATE ***************
*
* It's official. That beautiful Ti frame *is* bent (sigh)
*
************************* UPDATE ****************

If you're gonna' go down . . . go down hard . . . or go home.

Anyway, just back from 35mi on the old tourer with Sorni. It's better
to ride slowly on my 30 pound Cannondale than to not ride at all.

Be careful out there!

Neil Brooks wrote:
> catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry about your crash, but I can definitely say that I am giving car
>> doors a lot more room after reading about it. Glad you are okay.

> Thanks much . . . and thanks to all the r.b.m'ers who -- better than
> anybody -- understand what it all meant.
>
> ************************* UPDATE ***************
> *
> * It's official. That beautiful Ti frame *is* bent (sigh)
> *
> ************************* UPDATE ****************

Beyond BJs (er, Bikes) checked it out? Well, that ends any suspense over
what to demand, at least.

> If you're gonna' go down . . . go down hard . . . or go home.
>
> Anyway, just back from 35mi on the old tourer with Sorni. It's better
> to ride slowly on my 30 pound Cannondale than to not ride at all.

It was very depressing to see Neil back on that heavy beast.

{Why, becuase he's not on that beautiful Moots?}

Well, that...and also because he's /still/ faster than I am!

{mumble-grumble-fruckafrass}

Old Man Bill

Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sweet. Is it just me . . . or do I smell fresh titanium . . . . <g>

Did the accident force any part of the bike up your nose? ;-)

Mark "always smelling fresh titanium" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Sweet. Is it just me . . . or do I smell fresh titanium . . . . <g>

>Did the accident force any part of the bike up your nose? ;-)
>
>Mark "always smelling fresh titanium" Hickey
>Habanero Cycles
>http://www.habcycles.com
>Home of the $695 ti frame

ROTFL!

You know . . . I sneezed out part of a white decal that read "oots"
this morning, so I have no idea what else might be in there . . . and
with my Eastern European lineage . . . there's all kinds of room.

"Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You know . . . I sneezed out part of a white decal that read "oots"
> this morning, so I have no idea what else might be in there . . . and
> with my Eastern European lineage . . . there's all kinds of room.

It can't be bigger than the schnozz of that guy with the good looking
legs--what was his name? Rick Onanian? He doesn't seem to hang out here any
more.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky