crash on the freeway bike hike?

byron27

New Member
Oct 19, 2003
Apparently there was quite a crash on the freeway bike hike on the weekend.

Any perthies out there do the hike and hear/see the stack??

Rumours are flying around that the culprit had a set of horns ;)

byron27 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Apparently there was quite a crash on the freeway bike hike on the
> weekend.
>
> Any perthies out there do the hike and hear/see the stack??

I left with the A group and about 1 km north of the tunnel was a guy
down on the left with around 6 or so people looking after him. He wasn't
moving and it looked quite bad. :( Don't know any other details.

--
..dt

Yeah again I left with the A group was doing about 50km/h when I saw
the dude not moving on the left of the freeway.
I slowed down and moved left and saw guys coming back to him and others
moving towards him from the rear, so I kept going.
Maybe I should have stopped? my first aid is **** but I could have
helped.
He wasnt moving and looked like he was still clipped in.
Didnt see or hear the crash, but he must have been at the front of the
A group, clipped a wheel perhaps.
Hope he is alright.

The ride certainly started with a bang, within a couple of hundred
metres I was doing 60km/h and swooping into the polly pipe. Cheezus I
said I wasnt going to race.
Managed to get to joondalup in 41minutes, avg 41.1km/h, went with a
quick group who seemed to know what they were doing.
Steven

byron27 wrote:

> Apparently there was quite a crash on the freeway bike hike on the
> weekend.
>
> Any perthies out there do the hike and hear/see the stack??
>
> Rumours are flying around that the culprit had a set of horns ;)

Hi all,

My 20 year old son was riding a bike with handlebar ends (horns?), and had a
bingle a few metres inside the entrance to the Pollypipe when someone in
our C group stopped right in the middle of the road. He is not an
experienced cyclist and in the congestion could not evade the unexpected
obstacle. I was a few metres ahead and didn't see the details, but was
told that the broadside skid was spectacular. Although travelling at only
30-35 km/hr before the crash (fortunately not the 60 km/hr mentioned for
the A group!), he ended up with cracked ribs.

I rode in last year's Freeway Bike Hike and enjoyed it immensely.
Unfortunately, this time around I only rode into the beginning of the
tunnel, and spent most of the day in Sir Charles Gairdiner Hospital.

The ambulance driver mentioned that the Freeway Bike Hike had kept them much
busier than they had expected. There had been at least two accidents where
riders had been badly hurt, and perhaps more. The first ambulance which had
stopped to see us left us to wait when another more serious need arose.

That's my very limited view of the event. I have been a recent reader here,
and thought it was time to introduce myself. For the last 12 months I've
been an occasional road bike commuter - 14 km to work. I ride (to the east
in the mornings) along the Reid Highway at the stunning pace of around
20-30 km/hr with speed largely depending on the wind direction. Yes, I have
even been overtaken by a mountain bike rider. Since reading on this list,
I now understand that my lack of speed is because I only have a Sora
groupset, and my bike weighs more than 10 kg.

At work, two younger colleagues have since followed suit and purchased bikes
for their 10 km ride to work. Bike riding seems to be contagious.

My loves are the feeling of getting a bit fitter and the wonderful
effortless travel on a bike when the wind is behind you or when going
downhill. I know it is a cliche but "no motor - just you and the bike" is
a great feeling. I can even enjoy short hills a bit more than I used to.
One of my major dislikes is punctures - the Reid Highway shoulder seems to
attract considerable amounts of glass. My other dislike is the danger
involved, and inconsiderate drivers. I am not a natural risk taker, or to
put it another way I am basically a coward who wants to ride without being
hurt.

Finally, thanks to everyone here for the useful information and interesting
discussion!

Vince

Vincent Patrick wrote:
<snip>
> That's my very limited view of the event. I have been a recent reader here,
> and thought it was time to introduce myself. For the last 12 months I've
> been an occasional road bike commuter - 14 km to work. I ride (to the east

<snip>
> Finally, thanks to everyone here for the useful information and interesting
> discussion!
>
> Vince

Welcome to the group, Vince, and I hope your son recovers quickly.

Tam

Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
> even been overtaken by a mountain bike rider. Since reading on this list,
> I now understand that my lack of speed is because I only have a Sora
> groupset, and my bike weighs more than 10 kg.

Nope, Sora is fine and the 10kg will only slow you down a bit on hills.
Lose a couple of kg in body weight and you'll achieve the same thing as
shelling out for a light bike.

I have a light bike with Ultegra, and a heavy bike (10.5kg) with Sora.
My average speed on both is very similar on the same route, the light
bike maybe gives me about a 1km/h better average over 20km. The light
bike changes better and it's red, so naturally it's a bit faster.

--
..dt

dtmeister wrote:

> Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
>> even been overtaken by a mountain bike rider. Since reading on this
>> list, I now understand that my lack of speed is because I only have a
>> Sora groupset, and my bike weighs more than 10 kg.

> Nope, Sora is fine and the 10kg will only slow you down a bit on hills.
> Lose a couple of kg in body weight and you'll achieve the same thing as
> shelling out for a light bike.
>
> I have a light bike with Ultegra, and a heavy bike (10.5kg) with Sora.
> My average speed on both is very similar on the same route, the light
> bike maybe gives me about a 1km/h better average over 20km. The light
> bike changes better and it's red, so naturally it's a bit faster.

My explanation for lack of speed was tongue-in-cheek, but I omitted the
obligatory smiley. It is interesting that you can tell the difference
between the good bike and the more ordinary one, though. I would love to
justify riding a $3,000+ bike at 25 km/hr. To some extent I have Travis's
tightwad problem - it must be a WA thing.

On a more mundane note, one of the younger guys at my work has a mountain
bike and at one time we swapped bikes for the ride home along Reid highway,
until we separated paths. We were both astounded - from his perspective at
how much faster my road bike was, and from my perspective at how much
effort was needed to push the MTB along. I was left literally kilometres
back on his bike, with sore thigh muscles. It didn't help that he had a low
seat, but it wasn't just that.

Vince

Vincent Patrick wrote:
> dtmeister wrote:
>
>> Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> even been overtaken by a mountain bike rider. Since reading on this
>>> list, I now understand that my lack of speed is because I only have a
>>> Sora groupset, and my bike weighs more than 10 kg.

>> Nope, Sora is fine and the 10kg will only slow you down a bit on hills.
>> Lose a couple of kg in body weight and you'll achieve the same thing as
>> shelling out for a light bike.
>>
>> I have a light bike with Ultegra, and a heavy bike (10.5kg) with Sora.
>> My average speed on both is very similar on the same route, the light
>> bike maybe gives me about a 1km/h better average over 20km. The light
>> bike changes better and it's red, so naturally it's a bit faster.
>>

> My explanation for lack of speed was tongue-in-cheek, but I omitted the
> obligatory smiley. It is interesting that you can tell the difference
> between the good bike and the more ordinary one, though. I would love to
> justify riding a $3,000+ bike at 25 km/hr. To some extent I have Travis's
> tightwad problem - it must be a WA thing.
>
> On a more mundane note, one of the younger guys at my work has a mountain
> bike and at one time we swapped bikes for the ride home along Reid highway,
> until we separated paths. We were both astounded - from his perspective at
> how much faster my road bike was, and from my perspective at how much
> effort was needed to push the MTB along. I was left literally kilometres
> back on his bike, with sore thigh muscles. It didn't help that he had a low
> seat, but it wasn't just that.
>
> Vince

Did your colleague's bike have knobbly tyres? This makes a big
difference to how hard an MTB is too ride. That and any suspension.

I wonder how many people have been put off riding after buying an
MTB for mainly road and sealed path use. I have an MTB that I use
for commuting (with 2yo son in baby seat). When I bought it, I got
the shop to swap out the suspension forks and put slicks on (making
the bike cheaper in the process).

For someone getting on a bike in later life for the first time, I'd
recommend a "flat bar roadie" - nice relaxed frame angles with lots
of braze-ons (like a traditional touring frame really) and 700c wheels
running 25mm tires. A great bike for Perth where most paths are
pretty good - certainly do not need energy sucking suspension. There
are lots of options in this category at the moment.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:

> My explanation for lack of speed was tongue-in-cheek, but I omitted the
> obligatory smiley. It is interesting that you can tell the difference
> between the good bike and the more ordinary one, though. I would love to
> justify riding a $3,000+ bike at 25 km/hr. To some extent I have Travis's
> tightwad problem - it must be a WA thing.

:) Ah, okay. The thing with a $3000 bike is that you feel obliged to
ride it faster to justify the expenditure...

> On a more mundane note, one of the younger guys at my work has a mountain
> bike and at one time we swapped bikes for the ride home along Reid highway,
> until we separated paths. We were both astounded - from his perspective at
> how much faster my road bike was, and from my perspective at how much
> effort was needed to push the MTB along. I was left literally kilometres
> back on his bike, with sore thigh muscles. It didn't help that he had a low
> seat, but it wasn't just that.

I guess it's a combination of higher rolling resistance from lower
pressure wider tyres, plus a less aerodynamic position.

--
..dt

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:45:36 +0800
Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
> between the good bike and the more ordinary one, though. I would love to
> justify riding a $3,000+ bike at 25 km/hr. To some extent I have Travis's

I do it by riding a recumbent. They all cost that much Sir!

I expect I'll go faster once I'm fitter, but as 25km/h beats the 0
km/h I was doing before, I figure it will do.

I will never be a speed demon, as long as I get to work and have fun
riding, I'm ahead.

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:56:15 +0800
DeF <""> wrote:

> I wonder how many people have been put off riding after buying an
> MTB for mainly road and sealed path use. I have an MTB that I use
> for commuting (with 2yo son in baby seat). When I bought it, I got
> the shop to swap out the suspension forks and put slicks on (making
> the bike cheaper in the process).

I certainly noticed the difference in speed between my old 2nd hand
roadie and my new MTB even with slicks. (No suspension in them days!)

The comfort and the fact the wheels stayed round were pluses, the lack
of speed was definitely depressing. But not enough so to go the round
of trying to find a faster bike that I could fit on.

The recumbent's definitely faster than the last MTB I had, although
weighing about the same. Skinny tyres I suspect, I doubt I'm going
fast enough for aerodynamics to make a difference and it's a high
racer SWB anyway, so much more up in the air than the really aero
bents.

Zebee

Vincent Patrick said:
My explanation for lack of speed was tongue-in-cheek, but I omitted the
obligatory smiley. It is interesting that you can tell the difference
between the good bike and the more ordinary one, though. I would love to
justify riding a $3,000+ bike at 25 km/hr. To some extent I have Travis's
tightwad problem - it must be a WA thing.
I wouldn't say that. I'd love to have a proper commuting bike (drop bar tourer, hub gears would be nice) and a dedicated road bike, but can't justify the cost. Then again I am Scottish.

"Vincent Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> dtmeister wrote:
>
> > Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> even been overtaken by a mountain bike rider. Since reading on this
> >> list, I now understand that my lack of speed is because I only have a
> >> Sora groupset, and my bike weighs more than 10 kg.

> > Nope, Sora is fine and the 10kg will only slow you down a bit on hills.
> > Lose a couple of kg in body weight and you'll achieve the same thing as
> > shelling out for a light bike.
> >
> > I have a light bike with Ultegra, and a heavy bike (10.5kg) with Sora.
> > My average speed on both is very similar on the same route, the light
> > bike maybe gives me about a 1km/h better average over 20km. The light
> > bike changes better and it's red, so naturally it's a bit faster.
> >
> ><snip>

> On a more mundane note, one of the younger guys at my work has a mountain
> bike and at one time we swapped bikes for the ride home along Reid

highway,
> until we separated paths. We were both astounded - from his perspective at
> how much faster my road bike was, and from my perspective at how much
> effort was needed to push the MTB along. I was left literally kilometres
> back on his bike, with sore thigh muscles. It didn't help that he had a

low
> seat, but it wasn't just that.

hehe - yeah, I was looking at your weights and thought "that's heavy??" Then
I realised. I ride mtbs, and light isn't always best. My light bike would
weigh over 10 kgs, and my heavy bike... well, I don't even want to think
about it!

After a string of broken, lighter mtbs, I realised that I need a stronger
bike. Being tight, strong AND light were out of the question, so I've got
strong - and bloody heavy. I really notice the extra going up hills, but I
could afford to lose some gut, which would compensate.

Tony F

Rode in C grade with the wife & babyseat , being of good Eastern-European
stock she had the mtb & the 3 year old on the back , i had the racer :) I
was generous & fitted some 80psi slicks to her bike . As has already been
noted the riding standard was pretty average in places but to be expected
really with such a wide spectrum of the community....mainly swerving from
the outside to inside lanes in the blink of an eye.. a bit like they
probably drive their cars.
The train queue looked like a 90 minute wait in the sun so we got 70 km on
the clock , which brought to my attention what utter shite the Mitchell Fwy
bike path is , luckily i don't have to venture that way much , wasn't that
the path a rider was killed on when a car rolled over a couple of years
ago???

Steve
Ideal WA

--
Frank
[email protected]
"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rode in C grade with the wife & babyseat , being of good Eastern-European
> stock she had the mtb & the 3 year old on the back , i had the racer :) I
> was generous & fitted some 80psi slicks to her bike . As has already been
> noted the riding standard was pretty average in places but to be expected
> really with such a wide spectrum of the community....mainly swerving from
> the outside to inside lanes in the blink of an eye.. a bit like they
> probably drive their cars.
> The train queue looked like a 90 minute wait in the sun so we got 70 km on
> the clock , which brought to my attention what utter shite the Mitchell

Fwy
> bike path is , luckily i don't have to venture that way much , wasn't that
> the path a rider was killed on when a car rolled over a couple of years
> ago???
>
> Steve
> Ideal WA

We totally stuffed things up. Back in October I emailed the organisers to
check that two 12 year olds could do the 30km and that we could do it on a
family ticket. No worries... family start time is 9.30. I didn't bother to
check subsequent emails (shoulda!).

Four of us turned up at Belmont at 9.30 - everyone's packing up! Bloody
family ride starts at Greenwood... told you I should have read the emails!

We decided to head to Joondalup along the bike route - yup. Utter ****, back
and forth across the Freeway. Never mind - it was a noce, albeit hot day,
ride. We expected to get to the Joondalup Festival - nope! It's on this
weekend! Again, I didn't bother to read the details, thinking I'd sorted it
out in October. Her Ladyship and two boys got the train back and I met them
back at Burswood where we'd parked.

Never mind. We had a nice day out (rare as the kids grow up) and had lots of
group grumbles about my not checking the detail. There's always next year!

me

byron27 said:
Apparently there was quite a crash on the freeway bike hike on the weekend.

Any perthies out there do the hike and hear/see the stack??

Rumours are flying around that the culprit had a set of horns ;)
Guy's name is Chris, is a judge apparently. Here is the story from the one and only!:

Thank you all for your kind enquiries and, in some cases, visits to
me in the hospital. Injuries as reported: three broken ribs on the
right side at the back, contusions to lung where it had been
thrashed a bit by the ribs, and the usual cyclist's-fall bark off
the right leg and arm. I was kept in mostly to see that the lungs
didn't get worse but allowed to go yesterday evening after my third
session on the exercise bike. True! The physio had me on a very
bunky exercise bike in the corridor to see how my oxygen saturation
held up under very modest exercise. I'm used to riding to a heart
rate, but this was a case of keeping the sats above 90% at a heart
rate of around 75 bpm. There are certain restrictions on deep
breathing for the moment, but the cure is to get nice
freshly-oxygenated blood to the injured bits as much as possible. I
must say the care in that cardio-thoracic ward was absolutely
wonderful.

As to what happened, reports confirm my recollection that I was
spat sideways big time. It happened near Lake Monger, I suppose. I
got the wrong side of some slow traffic from the start, and by the
time the bunch came out of the tunnel it was spread out and there
were gaps. I was just working my way to the front bunch. I had
started to bridge to the front group by myself when I thought it
might be more sensible to wait for some help. I was actually
feeling really good, and I was thinking that I felt much better
than I had last year at the same point when someone started rubbing
elbows from my right, with no warning and no traffic reason as far
as I could see. I remember the bike being terminally sideways and
thinking I was going down, but not the impact.

I have a vague recollection of screaming to be left on my back:
probably because somebody was trying to do the right thing and put
the unconscious patient in the coma position. After that, by the
time I regained real consciousness the ambos had me on a frame and
a in neck brace.

I've now got a few days of gentle mobilisation and a lot of rest.
I'll see how I am about returning to work next week, although the
physio doesn't want me driving for some time: poorly-oxygenated
blood doesn't help the concentration.

See you all as soon as I can and, once again, thanks.