crash!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by rek, May 21, 2003.

1. rek

rek New Member

Ahh, I stacked my new (to me) mountain bike today.. a half decent effort too, as at the speed I was carrying, it managed to break some pretty solid railings on a wooden bridge-trail-thingy over some thick, dense shrubbery :p

Some sections of the wood were very wet and slippery indeed ... I was going fairly swiftly (I don't have a speedo on my MTB but I'd guess 28-30kph) when the back end suddenly slid away from underneath me, I was a passenger at that point :( I managed to clear off the bike with nothing more than scraped elbows/knees and a limp in my left leg, but the bike struck the railing, smashing it (the railing) to pieces, and bending the hell out of my chainrings. Lucky it took the brunt of the impact and not the frame, that could have gotten very expensive :eek: I have a suspicion the handlebar got a little bent too, but not sure, I think I'll have the LBS take a look at it.

Consolation being that it was just the chainring/crank that got totaled, and as it was a nothing-too-great Cannondale house-brand crankset, it was in the back of my mind to upgrade it one day anyway ;)

Anyone have any memorable 'moments' they wish to share? :p

Tags:

2. maarten

maarten New Member

It was on my roady this weekend. Flemish championships for my category this weekend. 20k to go only 11 riders still on for the title only 2 sprinters left( me and Van Capellen(who's faster)), 15k to go van Capellen crashes hard which makes me the fastest one left. You can guess now who crashed in the 180 turn with 5k to go and so misses a certain podium and big title chance. Yes sadly me.

Been once ran from the road by a Police motorbike(he took 10 riders down) at speed of 55km/h on flat road. So far my only appearance at a world cup race.

I'll keep silent of my attemp to finish of a tree in a cyclo-cross race.

3. Loki

Loki New Member

Hmm, steep downhill rocky gravelly section of a XC trail plus high speed and ~80cm jump = bad stuff. Oh, also the three blackboys (Weird trees) where I intended to land.

Result was a sh!tload of grazing, winded, groaning, and a broken fork. :)

4. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

a few years back:
    Nailing it downhill in a forest ... just landed after a small bump in the road ... suddenly see a pine tree straddling the path, about a metre off the ground ... attempt big bunnyhop ... cranks impact with tree ... Nick launches himself in human cannonball pose ... Nick lands about 5 metres on ... bike lands on Nick ...

... very sore ... manage to ride home with bent cranks, bent handlebars, bust helmet and broken saddle ...

... still sore a few days later ... visit doctor ... xrays ... broken bone in hand from impact with handlebar ...!

The things we do for fun!

5. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

FUN??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Best part of it all is; getting back on your bike and nailing that jump or road that did it to you!

6. SilverTongue

SilverTongue New Member

Hmmm, 6 years ago. I was cycling to school on my trusty Raleigh Hotfoot. Going along the pavement as usual, when a car pulls out of a driveway pretty suddenly.

Wasn't a problem if I'd remembered which brake was which! I dunno why, but I slammed on the front brake instantly, lifting me up. I remember it seeming like slow motion. Funny, that, when scary **** happens, it seems to go slow and oh so silent. I fell down my stairs backwards when I was a kid too, and it was all slow and silent. I was surprisingly unhurt though.

Anyway, halfway through this lift, I remember thinking "oh ****, what an idiot". As a parent, my father always warned me about the potentially fatal consequences that can come with flying off a bike. I then let go of the brake, hoping the wheel would roll forward, and that the back would bounce back down, but it didn't happen. Instead I went all the way over, off the bike, and landed sort of shoulder/cheek/right hand first on the ground. Hell of a smack, but I was miraculously unhurt. The driver made sure I was ok too. But I was in shock for sure though, the bike was fine. Put me off riding untill now though!

Another scary **** before that incident was I was coming home from school, and it was raining after a dry morning. It was the first time I had faced rain, and I wasn't aware of the effect on the brakes! Approaching to cross a road, I applied the back brake as usual, but no effect at all! Naturally, I was spooked. With only 10 yards left, and going pretty fast, I risked jamming on the front brake, but it barely slowed me down! I then hit the side of a car as it was on the road, and lifted me about 45 degrees. No damage to anything though, but it was scary as hell for sure.

7. XC Racer

XC Racer New Member

Hey
    When I was 10, and I was down at the local dirt jumps with my mates.We were all doing fine, then I decided to do the "Death Machine"...lol...
    It was Huge. At least 4 Metres between the two lips.
    I was going at least 60 KM/H of the launch ramp.I hit the jump and was doing well, when half way through, I thought..."I'm doing pretty well,so i'll try a backflip", and so I tried.
    I was up-side down in the backy when I came of and slammed my head into the other lip at 60KM/H,Ouch!
    I only ended up with a bad headache and a big cut.
    Remember,...I was only 10!

8. brokenwrist

brokenwrist New Member

see my username for result of crashing my newly built bike! just hope it's better for my cycling holiday in 8 weeks time. have bike on rollers now - just got to wait for ribs to stop hurting!
    crash caused by hitting a brick, in the dark on a cyclepath at about 20mph!

9. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

A few years back, a friend of mine and myself had a nice day out with out MTB. Needless to say, racing is always on!!
    Tried to pop a wheely past him but only thing left in my hand was the handlebar - minus the bike.. took 2 weeks to get some skin on my left side of my face again. And for those who know about DETOL and Grandmothers (OUCH!!!)

10. JohnO

JohnO New Member

We had just cut a new trail on my farm, sorta meandered up and down the side of a hill. Coming over a crest and heading back down, the front wheel stopped and I didn't. Like in slow motion, I went over the bars, the clips didn't release so I cartwheeled downward with the bike on top of me, kept rolling, the back wheel touched down, I wobbled back up on top of the bike, hey I might get this thing moving again, wailed on the pedals, and was on my way. It was a slow motion somersault, with a clumsy recover at the end, but I was rolling again.

My friends keep asking me to repeat that little maneuver. Not in a hundred years...

11. coolworx

coolworx New Member

Only had one bad crash in my life... happened at age twelve.

I was riding with 'best friends in the whole world' around the neighborhood, and 'tapped' the backwheel of Randy Krupke's huffy 24" 10 speed with my Fuji 10 - lost balance, and went ass over elbow, headfirst into a concrete curb.

After 20 stitches, a CAT scans, and hours of matriarchal reprimand, I recovered to relapse into my lifelong addiction.

12. Twisties

Twisties New Member

i have a similar story.

i was riding with my best friend down the steepest street in my neighbourhood. we must have been going 30km/h which was lightspeed for a 10yr old. my friend brad kept swerving back and fourth infront of me when suddnely he hit my front tyre with his back tyre. i went cartweeling down the hill. i spraind my left wrist, grazed both my shines and my left knee, and took the skin off all four fingers and one thumb on my left hand.

four years later and the scars are still there to remind me :(

then there was that other time when i was eight.i was in the park with brad, again, and we decided to race each other down a different hill. we finaly got to the bottom (i lost:eek: ) and then decided to roll over a mulch pile at the bottom. i then realised i was upside down in the air and then landed on my head.

what a traumatic childhood...:(

13. Ryan+dh

Ryan+dh New Member

well in Aus there are some greats getting around and 1 of these is Russell. his jumps are big his style is great and he is a BMX'er but he is still kool

his jumps are about 18 foot long and 7-8 foot high with vert
    to cut a short story shorter
    1st 1 done nice

2nd done good

3rd good

4th ..........chainring bloodnose blacking out pain
    got up and did it again with more speed and nailed it

moral of story

If you dont get it the first time.... try and try again otherwise you will never learn.

14. bigkeith

bigkeith New Member

i'm a new rider and crashed my low budjet schwinn in the wissahickon valley. crushed my front wheel ...... time for new bike :D

15. Twisties

Twisties New Member

...!!! howd you crush you front wheel????

16. bigkeith

bigkeith New Member

how did crush my front wheel?

i was going around a tree and therewas a drop and a big rock. the main contributor was me, i weigh about 235lbs and i got alittle unsure of what i was doing (still new to this ) .and its a good excuse to by a new bike
    :D

17. Twisties

Twisties New Member

you could always replace the front wheel, but any excuse to get a new bike is a good excuse.

18. mawwit

mawwit New Member

This one is bad cause it was in the neighbourhood on the way to the mail box. There is a nice curb and about 2 m's of garden space to clear. Nice little hop, big gear sprint jump land get mail good fun.

Anyway as it always is when I wipe out group of kids standing cross the road and I hit the jump. One of those half way through I start thinking, this is gonna hurt, got side ways in the air tires hit bike slides out Mike hits ground with head shoulder and knee, lose a couple minutes and come too with 12 year going you okay.

Of course I am I tell him and walk my bike to get mail. Several days of concussion like headaches, road rash on shoulder and a month worth of sore knee.

The worse part was the twelve year old kid.

19. Dave4x

Dave4x New Member

Just a couple years ago me and my friend were casually riding down the road, going slow. i was in back of him when i looked at my front tire, it looked low on air. i didnt realize anything until i smacked into him, flipped off my bike and over him, flat on the street. i went home (10 seconds away) and got cleaned up. they said my friend was a bloody mess, they cleaned him up and said that all that blood was mine! we went to the emergency room and i got about 10 stitches on my lower lip. i still have the scar, and sometimes i bite the 'lump' whil i eat... OUCH :eek: