Crash!!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Erik Van Leeuwe, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Crash Beloki, Armstrong Crosscountry. gosh! Beloki out I guess. Vino wins?

    Tags:

  2. Runamukluks

    Runamukluks Guest

    What a shame for Beloki!!

  3. Igor GdG crashing in Germany, Beloki in Gap.. what a drama for ONCE. Armstrong avoiding a crash was
    brilliant, going cross country never seen before. Tyler asked Lance if he was okay. Beloki looks
    bad, teammates are with him. Vino wins. Bettini wins sprint for 2nd place. What a dramatic day.

    Erik

    news:[email protected]...

  4. On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:52:43 +0000, Runamukluks wrote:

    > What a shame for Beloki!!

    Yes, agreed. What a sour note to go out on....

  5. Peter Stone

    Peter Stone Guest

    "Runamukluks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What a shame for Beloki!!

    I was thinking this is probably the best tour I've ever seen on TV. Then *this* happened. Recover
    well. Joseba.

  6. Definitely out now... he's brought to hospital in an ambulance. Damn, he looked good today, but took
    a bit too much risk in the dangerous descent. Braking too late and slipping left and right. Lance
    has mountainbike experience?

  7. Erik van Leeuwen wrote:
    > Lance has mountainbike experience?

    He does. He was a mountainbiker once. He even won a mountainbike race this winter in the US, IIRC.

  8. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Lance has a lot of mountain bike riding and racing experience. He does a lot of MTB races in the US
    during the off season and also does a lot of training on a cross bike in the winter.

    I hope he retires from road racing after this year and goes full time for one year into cross racing
    and finally gets the US a cross World championship and takes part in a bunch of the Spring classics.

    "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Definitely out now... he's brought to hospital in an ambulance. Damn, he looked good today, but
    > took a bit too much risk in the dangerous descent. Braking too late and slipping left and right.
    > Lance has mountainbike experience?
    >

    > "Lantern Rouge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:52:43 +0000, Runamukluks wrote:
    > >
    > > > What a shame for Beloki!!
    > >
    > > Yes, agreed. What a sour note to go out on....

  9. Nev Shea

    Nev Shea Guest

    "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f12c57f$0$45380 [email protected]:

    > Definitely out now... he's brought to hospital in an ambulance. Damn, he looked good today, but
    > took a bit too much risk in the dangerous descent. Braking too late and slipping left and right.

    and as he's fishtailing you can see the tire come off the rim

    > Lance has mountainbike experience?

    or cyclocross

    NS

  10. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:00:20 +0200, "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Definitely out now... he's brought to hospital in an ambulance. Damn, he looked good today, but
    >took a bit too much risk in the dangerous descent. Braking too late and slipping left and right.
    >Lance has mountainbike experience?

    Yes, in fact in 99 Lance was supposed to have a split season, race some road and some mtn bike for
    Trek. The TdF that year changed his focus a little bit. He only raced in 2 mtn bike races, one in
    Colorado and one in Napa Valley IIRC.

    He also races in the Dirty Duo outside of Austin. Fun stuff.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  11. Erik van Leeuwen wrote:

    > Crash Beloki, Armstrong Crosscountry. gosh! Beloki out

    this makes me sad. i don't care if beloki was always doomed to be 2nd or 3rd, i liked seeing him
    try. he's been in every tour i've watched, so it'll be weird not seeing him in this one. h

  12. That was the kind of crash that gives you a sick feeling to watch. Real unfortunate for the overall
    results of the tour also- Beloki was really making things interesting. Hope he gets well soon.

  13. Monty Montgomery wrote:
    > I shattered my elbow this year, I cringe every time anyone trips, stumbles or crashes....
    > http://www.nanandmont.com/bike/bike-crash.htm

    Off Topic, but wow, that X-ray of your elbow looks damn scary. You must have been in an awful lot of
    pain after the surgery...

    Note to self: be more careful at upcoming descents, especially when the weather's hot. My rims are
    already hot because I chicken out and hit the brakes too often.

    Speedy recovery and don't let this accident stop your love for riding :)

  14. "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote :
    > Lance has mountainbike experience?

    Dude, haven't you been watching those Subaru commercials?

  15. On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:23:29 GMT, Brian Phillips wrote:
    > Hope he gets well soon.

    Broken thighbone, broken elbow, broken wrist. It'll take some time.

  16. Jp

    Jp Guest

    "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Definitely out now... he's brought to hospital in an ambulance. Damn, he looked good today, but
    > took a bit too much risk in the dangerous descent. Braking too late and slipping left and right.

    A "bit" too much risk? Locking up the rear wheel until the tire is ground away and explodes is not s
    symptom of a bit too much risk, it's a sign of panic, assuming it was not intentional. How did
    Armstrong, who was right behind him, get through, cross country or otherwise, at what must have been
    approximately the same speed?

    Maybe I'm taking Armstrong's statement the that Beloki's rear tire exploded right in front of him
    too literally. I didn't see it. Maybe Beloki attacked where he didn't have room to make the turn and
    panicked when he saw what he got himself into.

    JP

  17. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Definitely out now... he's brought to hospital in an ambulance. Damn, he looked good today, but
    > took a bit too much risk in the dangerous descent. Braking too late and slipping left and right.
    > Lance has mountainbike experience?

    Yes -- you should see some of the current (and even older) Subaru TV commercials here in USA. Also,
    Lance did some official pro mountain bike racing in 1999.

    Always a good skill set to have to add to you bike handling skill repertoire to be a complete
    road racer.

    -KJP