Crash!!!

He also race at Ft. Hood, BLORA in '99. I was there.

John in Texas

"Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:00:20 +0200, "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Definitely out now... he's brought to hospital in an ambulance. Damn, he looked good today, but
> >took a bit too much risk in the dangerous descent. Braking too late and slipping left and right.
> >Lance has mountainbike experience?
>
> Yes, in fact in 99 Lance was supposed to have a split season, race some road and some mtn bike for
> Trek. The TdF that year changed his focus a little bit. He only raced in 2 mtn bike races, one in
> Colorado and one in Napa Valley IIRC.
>
> He also races in the Dirty Duo outside of Austin. Fun stuff.
>
> Lindsay
> ----------------------------
> "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
> difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
> remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."
>
> P.J. O'Rourke

"Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Definitely out now... he's brought to hospital in an ambulance. Damn, he looked good today, but
> took a bit too much risk in the dangerous descent. Braking too late and slipping left and right.
> Lance has mountainbike experience?

Yes he does - check him out at the bottom of this page:

http://www.dirtyduathlon.com/

> "Lantern Rouge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:52:43 +0000, Runamukluks wrote:
> >
> > > What a shame for Beloki!!
> >
> > Yes, agreed. What a sour note to go out on....

Lance actually does a lot of mountain biking- and at competed in at least one duathlon- around
Austin over the winter season. The photo of Beloki on the ground with Lance right behind him was
fascinating.

r.b.

Lindsay wrote:

> Yes, in fact in 99 Lance was supposed to have a split season, race some road and some mtn bike for
> Trek. The TdF that year changed his focus a little bit. He only raced in 2 mtn bike races, one in
> Colorado and one in Napa Valley IIRC.
>
> He also races in the Dirty Duo outside of Austin. Fun stuff.
>
> Lindsay

About that time, very shortly after his chemo, he raced in an XC at Deer Valley, Utah, but did not
bother finishing. He'd catch everyone on the climbs and fall back on the downhills.

11/10th's.outasight!!go Beloki!Max Brake.and watch the guy infront and see if falls first.

"Peter Stone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Runamukluks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What a shame for Beloki!!
>
> I was thinking this is probably the best tour I've ever seen on TV. Then *this* happened. Recover
> well. Joseba.

Broken leg, broken elbow, broken wrist. Disaster for Beloki and ONCE. Great survival instincts by
Lance. Glad he wasn't penalized for his cross-country jaunt. And we may have witnessed the birth of
a star in Alexandre Vinokourov.

g.

> A "bit" too much risk? Locking up the rear wheel until the tire is ground away and explodes is not
> s symptom of a bit too much risk, it's a sign of panic, assuming it was not intentional. How did
> Armstrong, who was right behind him, get through, cross country or otherwise, at what must have
> been approximately the same speed?
>
> Maybe I'm taking Armstrong's statement the that Beloki's rear tire exploded right in front of him
> too literally. I didn't see it. Maybe Beloki attacked where he didn't have room to make the turn
> and panicked when he saw what he got himself into.
>
> JP

According to Armstrong's post-race interview, his tire rolled first and then blew. I'm not sure he
even locked his rear wheel, the tire was already off when he was fishtailing (until the rim caught
and he was thrown over his bike).

"Sabers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Peter Stone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Runamukluks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > What a shame for Beloki!!
> >
> > I was thinking this is probably the best tour I've ever seen on TV. Then *this* happened.
> > Recover well. Joseba.
>

> Broken leg, broken elbow, broken wrist. Disaster for Beloki and ONCE. Great survival instincts by
> Lance. Glad he wasn't penalized for his cross-country jaunt. And we may have witnessed the birth
> of a star in Alexandre Vinokourov.
>
> g.

Vino is one of the few riders that has had an even stronger year than Hamilton. Paris-Nice, Amstel
Gold and Tour de Suisse.

JP wrote:

> A "bit" too much risk? Locking up the rear wheel until the tire is ground away and explodes is not
> s symptom of a bit too much risk, it's a sign of panic, assuming it was not intentional. How did
> Armstrong, who was right behind him, get through, cross country or otherwise, at what must have
> been approximately the same speed?

Maybe Beloki panicked and didn't apply enough (or any) front brake, whereas Lance used both (mostly
front) and hence was able to avoid skidding and slow down more.

When I began racing as a youngster (relatively speaking) our coach adjusted everyones' rear brake so
that the lever bottomed out on the handle bar before the rear would lock up. Almost everyone
instinctively learnt to use the front more effectively. Even today, when braking hard in the rain,
when I start to lose the rear I automatically (lower-brainstem) re-balance. Now if people would stop
plowing into my RD I'd be happy.
--
Dominic Richens | [email protected] "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

In article <[email protected]>, "Brian Phillips"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> That was the kind of crash that gives you a sick feeling to watch. Real unfortunate for the
> overall results of the tour also- Beloki was really making things interesting. Hope he gets
> well soon.

This just sucks canal water. At first I thought, oh, just bad road rash, but the mike picked up his
moaning and groaning and it just sounded terrible.

His season's probably over, I doubt he'll make it to the Vuelta. And I was so impressed with Beloki
this year. Mind you, I was also impressed with Lance's cyclocross skills! And in the middle of
July, mind you.

"Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:00:20 +0200, "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Definitely out now... he's brought to hospital in an ambulance. Damn, he looked good today, but
> >took a bit too much risk in the dangerous descent. Braking too late and slipping left and right.
> >Lance has mountainbike experience?
>
> Yes, in fact in 99 Lance was supposed to have a split season, race some road and some mtn bike for
> Trek. The TdF that year changed his focus a little bit. He only raced in 2 mtn bike races, one in
> Colorado and one in Napa Valley IIRC.

Lance raced Mount Snow and the old Mercury Tour stage race (MTB) in Steamboat Springs, CO that
year. He did another "local" type race as well. I was working the feed zone the year Lance rode
Mercury. He crashed several times on the course. His inexperience showed (I saw TV coverage a few
weeks later) when he tried to ride sections that no one else would even attempt. Guys like Jess
Swiggers (who damn near won that first stage) would run through the area; Lance tried to ride two
of those sections and crashed. He reached the feed zone, traded bottles with the Trek-VW soigneur
and turned and headed down the mountain on the fire road--he was done. I admired him for agreeing
to honor his word to do some of the MTB racing;

> He also races in the Dirty Duo outside of Austin. Fun stuff.
>
> Lindsay
> ----------------------------
> "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
> difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
> remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."
>
> P.J. O'Rourke

"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Brian Phillips"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > That was the kind of crash that gives you a sick feeling to watch. Real unfortunate for the
> > overall results of the tour also- Beloki was really making things interesting. Hope he gets
> > well soon.
>
> This just sucks canal water. At first I thought, oh, just bad road rash, but the mike picked up
> his moaning and groaning

I saw it twice and I winced both times.

and it just sounded

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "Brian Phillips"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > That was the kind of crash that gives you a sick feeling to watch. Real unfortunate for the
> > overall results of the tour also- Beloki was really making things interesting. Hope he gets
> > well soon.
>
> This just sucks canal water. At first I thought, oh, just bad road rash, but the mike picked up
> his moaning and groaning and it just sounded terrible.

So I wasn't imagining it.

Damn, I hope the medic was stocking morphine.

Dominic Richens wrote:

> JP wrote:
> >
> > A "bit" too much risk? Locking up the rear wheel until the tire is ground away and explodes is
> > not s symptom of a bit too much risk, it's a sign of panic, assuming it was not intentional. How
> > did Armstrong, who was right behind him, get through, cross country or otherwise, at what must
> > have been approximately the same speed?
>
> Maybe Beloki panicked and didn't apply enough (or any) front brake, whereas Lance used both
> (mostly front) and hence was able to avoid skidding and slow down more.

I think Armstrong stayed more on the 'white' patches (old surface without tar) while Beloki skidded
on a 'black' patch (tar sealant).

if i can't beat him uphill then exp. del. I'll get the exp.del.downhill!!!