Crashes

fleutz

Jun 18, 2007
When you road race what is the Worst Crash you had, what was damaged(Bike,Clothing, or Body) or Worst/Scariest one you ever witnessed.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

As they say, It is not if it is when if you race. That being said it was a short technical downtown crit, bell lap second corner, field size of 90 in the 1,2,3 masters catagory. I held the third wheel on the right side at the front having a great spot setting up for the sprint. The rider in front of me crosses the wheel of the rider in front of him and they both go down coming into the turn. I hit the brakes, sweep to the inside, and my bike washes out going 35 mph. I slid right into the curb hitting my ass first. I go into the fetal position knowing that the pack of 87 guys are on my ass. I grab my bike and get off the road to access the body and bike. The bike was OK and I walked away with only a bruised ass and road rash. So far that has been the worst wreck. Guess I have been lucky. The other two guys, one broke his femer. The other had a hip issue and both went to hospital.

My worst crash to date happened less than a month ago. I was in a tight downtown crit and there was an area in the middle of the road marked off by two cones and a barrel where a bolt in the road was. For most of the race avoiding it was not a problem, but when you're inside the pack and can't see very far in front of you, the obstruction seems to come out from nowhere. At about lap 20 I hit the cones and the barrel and was thrown off my bike. I landed on my head (helmet-protected) and shoulder. I broke my collarbone badly and had to be taken to the hospital. Luckily, my bike was unharmed.

my worst one was probably today i was out riding with one of my buddies (who is really new to cycling) and i dropped back to give him a push when he swerved into me which sent me flying sideways and landed right on my hip which now has bad road rash along with my elbows and knees and my thumb is literally wide open which is making it difficult to do everyday activities lol not that bad but i thought i'd share.

My worst was warming up for a road race me and my buddy where coming to a intersection we had the green light as we started throght the intersection a car passed us and then made the right hand turn right into me I was pretty banged up and my bike was totalled and of course the car did not stop, but my dads house was near so I grabbed his bike and still raced that day